First negative OC experience.....

This is a discussion on First negative OC experience..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I got kicked out of Pizza Hut. Headed back from some prairie dog huntin' with a couple buddies and got outvoted to stop and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First negative OC experience.....

First negative OC experience.....

Well, I got kicked out of Pizza Hut. Headed back from some prairie dog huntin' with a couple buddies and got outvoted to stop and grab a pizza. Knowing it's illegal to conceal in a place that serves alcohol, I made sure everything was uncovered and continued on in OC'ing. We ordered to go, so we just stood around for about 10 minutes while we were waiting before some guy came running out of the back shouting at me that my gun was illegal to have in there because they sell alcohol. I quickly and politely said, "Technically it's not, since it's openly carried." while walking out the front doors. No cops or anything, just an over-weight pizza delivery guy that got a little huffy. I'll be taking a copy of this MCA in to the manager sometime this week (unarmed, of course) to get his take on it and see what the official policy is. Notice that it only references "concealed weapons." No mention of openly carried weapons.

45-8-328. Carrying concealed weapon in prohibited place -- penalty.

Pretty surprised about all this. I've OC'ed in there a couple times, but it was just to run in and pick up an order. Never waited around in there until today.

2. Remove Ads

IMO....don't let this one bad experience throw you down. As far as open carry is concerned.....I think we're all at risk at one point or another doing that. You should school the ignorant if that's possible. If that's possible...the ignorant shouldn't be walking around in public like they know what's going on. Illegitimi non carborundum (informally)..
    BenGoodLuck and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IMO....don't let this one bad experience throw you down. As far as open carry is concerned.....I think we're all at risk at one point or another doing that. You should school the ignorant if that's possible. If that's possible...the ignorant shouldn't be walking around in public like they know what's going on. Illegitimi non carborundum (informally)..
    I don't intend to let it deter me. I've been OC'ing for almost two years now, and this is the first time I've ever been asked to leave anywhere. All of the comments I've ever gotten have been pretty positive. Usually people asking what kind of gun it is. Gotta love MT.

Maybe it was the snakeskin grips on my 1911 and the matching holster that scared him. lol.

On a side note.....That is interesting that you can't conceal in a place that serves alcohol...Whereas in Texas you can go in somewhere that serves it and even drink it! Just can't "be intoxicated" (.08%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    On a side note.....That is interesting that you can't conceal in a place that serves alcohol...Whereas in Texas you can go in somewhere that serves it and even drink it! Just can't "be intoxicated" (.08%)
    Yeah, stupid law. Unfortunately, they won't let me write em'.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I recently visited Montana and Wyoming. I did open carry a few times during the trip and didn't get any response.

When we went to Jackson Hole I saw a "cowboy" carrying a beautiful 1911 inside one of the tourist trap stores. I had to point it out to my mom who was oblivious. I used it as an example to show just how clueless the general population is. I watched the guy inside the store for several minutes and I seemed to be the only person that noticed the gun.

Enjoy your open carry freedom, we don't have that option here in Florida.

Expect a sign put up on that store soon I suspect
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I'm with you on going in to present the law to a manager. Perhaps he can educate his crew of "overweight huffy delivery guys". Who knows, he may ultimately be on your side with the ordeal and you can save future OCers the headache.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Expect a sign put up on that store soon I suspect
    I seriously doubt that. There's not one business in this town (that I know of) that has a sign to that effect. IMO, it could be the demise of a business real quick and in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    I'm with you on going in to present the law to a manager. Perhaps he can educate his crew of "overweight huffy delivery guys". Who knows, he may ultimately be on your side with the ordeal and you can save future OCers the headache.
    I feel like this is what's going to happen. If not, I'm sure the gun club and LGS owner can get the word out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    As long as 51% of their sales aren't on site alcohol consumption.And when it comes to consuming alcohol,a lot of people busted for Public intoxication and or DUI think that they aren't over the legal limit,it doesn't take much alcohol to hit .08%
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not cool at all. But it was bound to happen sooner or later. Let us know how your "education" meeting goes.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    The law here in Wisconsin is just the opposite. You can be in an establishment that serves alcohol as long as you are not consuming, but the gun has to be concealed. OC illegal where alcohol is served.

Look at the bright side: Pizza Hut sucks anyways. Mom and pop shops FTW!!!!

Sent from my palm device
    357and40, Badey and RemMod597 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Dam Spidey, those ignorant sheep just cant help themselves sometimes.......And they vote to...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Let's see if I have this straight. You were standing there with an OC pistol on your hip and the unarmed pizza guy got "huffy" & shouted at you...while you were armed...yup, Stupid is forever.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links