OC Baiter hit my town! - Page 3

OC Baiter hit my town!

This is a discussion on OC Baiter hit my town! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DocT65 OC serves little purpose in my opinion. I do not OC even though legal in my state. I much prefer to ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: OC Baiter hit my town!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    OC serves little purpose in my opinion. I do not OC even though legal in my state. I much prefer to be ready with a concealed, effective, readily available weapon and maintain the element of unknown and surprise. OC is kinda like playing poker and letting everyone at the table see your hand.
    Criminals might see your hand (gun) as a royal flush!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well it sounds like this guy is a donkey's butt, however...

1. Where is the video for us to make our own conclusions?
    ---------
    2. Call it baiting but I look at it more as "I'm possibly going to get harassed for doing this so I better record." I don't consider participating in a legal activity to be "baiting."
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    This guy did screw up by switching btwn CC and OC and then refusing to show a permit. However, generally speaking, if LEO's didn't take the bait, there would be nothing for the baiters to complain about, no videos, and no chance for these guys to make anyone look bad, LEO's, themselves, or OC'ers.

Up until the point they are needlessly confronted by LEO's, they are no different than any other OC'er w/o a camera.
    Is it illegal to switch between CC and OC? I'm thinking NOT.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Well it sounds like this guy is a donkey's butt, however...

1. Where is the video for us to make our own conclusions?
    ---------
    2. Call it baiting but I look at it more as "I'm possibly going to get harassed for doing this so I better record." I don't consider participating in a legal activity to be "baiting."

---------

Is it illegal to switch between CC and OC? I'm thinking NOT.
    Not illegal but when he concealed and then switched it gave police the right to ask to see his permit. He was acting very different prior to recording and cried foul when police took exception to his behavior. He was carrying a garment over his OC and had another concealed holster on his person. It was his erratic behavior prior to recording that the LEOs took exception to.

The videos are on youtube and start after he has been acting like a goof. So all we see is him finally getting cuffed by the frustrated police officer. Listen to the video well, he is asked for a permit and refuses to answer. The officers find out if he has a permit from pedigree info transmitted to dispatch. He is required by statute give his permit when asked. There were multiple MWAG calls to two different local dispatchers.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

OCing is perfectly legal. Baiting and acting in a way to call attention to you and your firearm is disorderly conduct or inciting panic in my opinion.

Recent OC court ruling.

Embody V. Ward, Page 5 Para 1, “But the constitutional question is whether the officers had reasonable suspicion of a crime, not whether a crime occurred. Otherwise, all failed
    investigatory stops would lead to successful 1983 actions. Having worked hard to appear suspicious in an armed-and-loaded visit to the park, Embody cannot cry foul after park rangers, to say nothing of passers-by, took the bait. The officers stopped him only as long as it took to investigate the legitimacy of the weapon and, at his insistence, bring the supervisor to the park. No Fourth Amendment violation occurred.”

Given your location I wonder if the baiter is from Ohio and if Ohio has a requirement to produce a CCW permit if asked of if contact is made with LEOs. It could be that he was unaware of the KY requirement. Even if that is the case, ignorance of the law is not a excuse for him breaking the law and being a complete d-bag about it. If your going to try and make an example out of the cops violating your rights for all the world to see, at least know the laws that are relevant to the local area you are in. Its surprising to think of all the people with permits out there that don't study up on the laws of other states they visit while armed. Example: All the tourist with permits valid in their states of residence that were caught in NYC because they tried to check their guns at tourist landmarks that had no gun signs.

I noticed responses from truckracer, the new youtube handle for he who shall not be named.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    OCing is perfectly legal. Baiting and acting in a way to call attention to you and your firearm is disorderly conduct or inciting panic in my opinion.
    eric327: Do you happen to know whether (1) there is a GTTTOTP/incitement type law there, or (2) statutory language disallowing mere carrying as being allowable for a stop or arrest? Some states have these.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I noticed responses from truckracer, the new youtube handle for he who shall not be named.
    I noticed you commented on the YouTube video. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I noticed you commented on the YouTube video. What do you think?
    I think he was fishing for a response, just like "truckracer" has done more than once. I agree with you on the switching from OC to CC, that could be seen as brandishing in some eyes. Regardless of legalities of OC in any State, the Police must respond to MWAG calls. Letting it go because, "That's just ******** looking to cash in", is not acceptable. The one time they don't investigate, because they don't want to risk getting into a "jackpot" situation, could be the time that cost an innocent citizen dearly.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I think he was fishing for a response, just like "truckracer" has done more than once. I agree with you on the switching from OC to CC, that could be seen as brandishing in some eyes. Regardless of legalities of OC in any State, the Police must respond to MWAG calls. Letting it go because, "That's just ******** looking to cash in", is not acceptable. The one time they don't investigate, because they don't want to risk getting into a "jackpot" situation, could be the time that cost an innocent citizen dearly.
    What language would those 'eyes' be using? Just seeing a weapon or showing a weapon is not brandishing unless we are talking about some new made up definition for the word.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    What language would those 'eyes' be using? Just seeing a weapon or showing a weapon is not brandishing unless we are talking about some new made up definition for the word.
    In some states, handling a weapon + someone getting freaked because of it IS tantamount to brandishing, menacing, or whatever other euphemism is in the statutes.

I agree with you, that the standard, dictionary definition is what SHOULD be the absolute applied usage. It just hasn't always been so.

So far as the reported instances of such disturbing misapplications of the law, there seems to be much fewer publicized. Hopefully law enforcement departments and DA's are getting used to the simple fact that carriers are, by and large, far more lawful and upstanding than the average. Slapping them with false claims of deliberate threatening of others has never been warranted, though sadly some of the statutes out there still allow for it to occur if encouraged by the ones hired to enforce the law. And hopefully more departments are realizing they needn't take bare-fear MWAG calls to the brink, merely because someone calls, without corroborating evidence to back up the claim that any threat in fact existed.
    LkWd_Don likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In some states, handling a weapon + someone getting freaked because of it IS tantamount to brandishing, menacing, or whatever other euphemism is in the statutes.

I agree with you, that the standard, dictionary definition is what SHOULD be the absolute applied usage. It just hasn't always been so.
    :SNIP:.
    It makes it hard to obey the law when those writing it are constantly making up new meanings for words. I don't doubt that someday saying gun will be brandishing.

Michael

Personally, I don't enjoy strapping a gun on my hip and walking aimlessly around town with a video camera. I've got better things to do.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Personally, I don't enjoy strapping a gun on my hip and walking aimlessly around town with a video camera. I've got better things to do.
    I regularly wear a firearm when I take my exercise walks around town. If I started carrying a small camera would I suddenly become someone just out to start trouble?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I regularly wear a firearm when I take my exercise walks around town. If I started carrying a small camera would I suddenly become someone just out to start trouble?

Michael
    An exercise walk isn't aimless; that's not what I'm referring to. No need to take offense. Walking your dog, exercising, etc., that's all different. You know what your intentions are. We're talking about baiters - that alone is what I'm referring to.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links