OC Baiter hit my town!

This is a discussion on OC Baiter hit my town! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wolf357 In a State that requires a permit to carry, how is a LEO to know if someone carrying a handgun in ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: OC Baiter hit my town!

Originally Posted by Wolf357

In a State that requires a permit to carry, how is a LEO to know if someone carrying a handgun in plain sight possesses a valid permit to do so if they don't politely ask to see it?
    Should a free citizen be required to accept an inconvenience for the sole purpose of making Governments job easier? Should a free citizen be required to show proof on demand of his compliance with the law? Or as some radical types believe should the Government only detain a person if they have a reasonable belief that a crime is or has been committed?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Should a free citizen be required to accept an inconvenience for the sole purpose of making Governments job easier? Should a free citizen be required to show proof on demand of his compliance with the law? Or as some radical types believe should the Government only detain a person if they have a reasonable belief that a crime is or has been committed?

Michael
    No contest. Government agents should only detain a person if they have a strong reasonable suspicion that a crime is being or has been committed.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    When I lived in Indiana the state required a drivers license to drive a car, how do they know if a person openly driving has a license? Simple; they have to have at a minimum RAS to stop them and check.
    With no intention to appear condescending, the analogy you presented is flawed in that there is clearly a tremendous difference in how an operator of a motor vehicle is perceived by LE in comparison to a private citizen open carrying a handgun in public, which is still an uncommon practice in Indiana.

How we think life in an ideal nation should be is always going to clash with reality. Until Constitutional carry is implemented in States that currently require permits - or until LEOs become clairvoyant - those who OC will continue being approached by observant LEOs rather we agree with the questionable practice or not.

And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    With no intention to appear condescending, the analogy you presented is flawed in that there is clearly a tremendous difference in how an operator of a motor vehicle is perceived by LE in comparison to a private citizen open carrying a handgun in public, which is still an uncommon practice in Indiana.

How we think life in an ideal nation should be is always going to clash with reality. Until Constitutional carry is implemented in States that currently require permits - or until LEOs become clairvoyant - those who OC will continue being approached by observant LEOs rather we agree with the questionable practice or not.

You are right. Cars are used to kill far more people than guns each year. Both are also used to save lives, but that count is not well collected for either.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Not thread jacking..but I went looking for the video of the said post but came across this one. In my opinion its a great job by the COP and a good example of a Bait'er

Klamath Falls Police, Open Carry a MP5 and a Handgun. - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    Not thread jacking..but I went looking for the video of the said post but came across this one. In my opinion its a great job by the COP and a good example of a Bait'er
    Klamath Falls Police, Open Carry a MP5 and a Handgun. - YouTube
    I am ever so thankful that the brave Officer got an evil machine gun off the stree--- what, he didn't?
    Well at least he took some perfidious felons to the jai---- oh, he didn't do that either?
    He kept them from doing it again though, ... didn't he? hmm... no? well, hmm, what did he do?

1) He detained two people who were doing nothing illegal
    2) His "training and experience" failed to denote the difference between a $15,000 (MINIMUM) fully automatic 9MM firearm with a <10-inch barrel from a sub $500 semi-automatic .22 with a 16-inch barrel. I wasn't anywhere as close as he was (touching distance) but it was completely obvious as soon at it came into view that it wasn't an actual MP5.

I'm kinda surprised the Officer isn't stopping everyone he sees carrying a Glock 17... those look exactly like Glock 18's when holstered, so how does he know it's not until he detains someone and finds out?

My guess?
    I wouldn't be surprised if after the detention was over the two didn't laugh, punch each other on the shoulder and said, "Okay... tomorrow you carry the .22 and I'll be the one to call the cops."
    Either the cops are going to waste manpower responding to things that aren't illegal, or they're going to wise-up and stop responding to things that aren't illegal. I'm betting on the cops being smart enough to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    ~~ snipped ~~My guess?
    ~~ snipped ~~ I'm betting on the cops being smart enough to learn.
    If you were betting on the SPD you might lose that bet.. I guess I should spell that out.. SPD = Seattle Police Department The Feds have only just started with them, we will see if they are smart enough to comply, though they started out on a rocky note with that expectation.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I am ever so thankful that the brave Officer got an evil machine gun off the stree--- what, he didn't?
    Well at least he took some perfidious felons to the jai---- oh, he didn't do that either?
    He kept them from doing it again though, ... didn't he? hmm... no? well, hmm, what did he do?

1) He detained two people who were doing nothing illegal
    2) His "training and experience" failed to denote the difference between a $15,000 (MINIMUM) fully automatic 9MM firearm with a <10-inch barrel from a sub $500 semi-automatic .22 with a 16-inch barrel. I wasn't anywhere as close as he was (touching distance) but it was completely obvious as soon at it came into view that it wasn't an actual MP5.

I'm kinda surprised the Officer isn't stopping everyone he sees carrying a Glock 17... those look exactly like Glock 18's when holstered, so how does he know it's not until he detains someone and finds out?

My guess?
    I wouldn't be surprised if after the detention was over the two didn't laugh, punch each other on the shoulder and said, "Okay... tomorrow you carry the .22 and I'll be the one to call the cops."
    Either the cops are going to waste manpower responding to things that aren't illegal, or they're going to wise-up and stop responding to things that aren't illegal. I'm betting on the cops being smart enough to learn.
    Do not agree with your assessment. However, it is your assessment.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post

I have OCd in front of all Bellevue LEOs and have always been treated with respect and professionalism. I have also OCd in front of numerous Newport LEOs with no problem. .
    That is because you are a respectfull person and not LOOKING to start an issue. Anyone looking for confrontation will find it, morons will always hurt the cause they are trying to promote.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I think Robert Heinlein expressed it well when he wrote "An armed society is a polite society". I'm here in California, not used to seeing people carry openly. I remember my shock when I went to a big sporting goods store in Phoenix, AZ and saw all the clerks and salespeople carrying sidearms (incidentally, they were all carrying 1911's). I remember thinking they had a reason to carry. It certainly was an open deterrent to some fool wanting to rob the place. Everybody was armed. Now, I expect to attract attention if I'm just walking down the street or casually wander into a store with a gun on my hip. That's why I carry concealed in public places; when I'm fishing or hunting I carry a pistol on my hip, and that's more of a normal situation which attracts less attention. Of course there's less people, too. I like that .

I think Robert Heinlein expressed it well when he wrote "An armed society is a polite society". I'm here in California, not used to seeing people carry openly. I remember my shock when I went to a big sporting goods store in Phoenix, AZ and saw all the clerks and salespeople carrying sidearms (incidentally, they were all carrying 1911's). I remember thinking they had a reason to carry. It certainly was an open deterrent to some fool wanting to rob the place. Everybody was armed. Now, I expect to attract attention if I'm just walking down the street or casually wander into a store with a gun on my hip. That's why I carry concealed in public places; when I'm fishing or hunting I carry a pistol on my hip, and that's more of a normal situation which attracts less attention. Of course there's less people, too. I like that .
    P.S.: This is always an interesting topic.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links