OC Baiter hit my town!

This is a discussion on OC Baiter hit my town! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those of us that live in Northern KY are well acquainted with the annual fireworks at River Fest. I loath the event that brings thousands ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: OC Baiter hit my town!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

OC Baiter hit my town!

Those of us that live in Northern KY are well acquainted with the annual fireworks at River Fest. I loath the event that brings thousands of drunken fools to Bellevue and Newport for one day. It's a drunken mess and a very difficult day for our local law enforcement. This year was no different. We had a guy come to town armed with a camera and bad attitude baiting cops.

I have OCd in front of all Bellevue LEOs and have always been treated with respect and professionalism. I have also OCd in front of numerous Newport LEOs with no problem. On the day in question a guy from another community came to town with two holsters and one gun; it appears he was alternating between CC and OC to bait the police and citizens into MWAG calls. He posted small portions of his video to youtube which paint our local LE in a less than favorable light. Police knew that he was acting in a confrontational manner with citizens and more than likely the eating establishment. Newport police who are right next to Bellevue are on a different dispatch channel were the first to encounter him. When the baiter got to Bellevue the police were aware he was alternating between CC and OC by MWAG calls. In Kentucky there is no duty to inform by statute but there is a duty to produce your permit if asked. During the encounter the baiter was asked if he had a permit he quoted the 4th and 5th amendments. However, since he had been acting and carrying erratically he was bound by statute to produce pedigree information as well as his permit. Upon investigation police did find a second concealed holster which affirmed their right to detain him and secure his weapon. At the time of their investigation The BPD had no Idea he was stopped by NPD.

I don't like that a new officer and overall good guy got baited by an attention seeking jerk. One good thing that will come from this is our officers will be getting personal mounted cameras of their own to shut down these baiters.

I will look upon these baiting videos with a bit more scrutiny in the future as they seem to only post the parts that suit them.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

I'm a big proponent of OC, but not of idiots who OC... sorry that your town was a victim of an OC idiot
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I will look upon these baiting videos with a bit more scrutiny in the future as they seem to only post the parts that suit them.
    Like anyone producing something for consumption, they're "selling" something. It's encumbent on us (the readers/viewers) to appreciate just what that is. And that's hard to do without knowing who the person is, where they're coming from, and what the purpose was for producing it.

I'm all for mildly pushing the laws where they need to be pushed, so they go in the right direction. But there's a way to do it respectfully ... and there are other ways.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I'm a big proponent of OC, but not of idiots who OC... sorry that your town was a victim of an OC idiot
    Me too! The local Chief is pro 2A as are the officers. One of the Captains is an instructor for CCDW and knowledgeable in state firearms laws.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

I am glad this post contained a real case of baiting. So many posts discussing this subject are not so obvious. I was expecting to read another post about an open carrier minding his own business being hassled by police.
    Happily this does not seem to be the case in your example. Thank you.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    +100 on the above
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I personally can't stand the attitude most baiters have. You can get the same point across without being an ace in the hole.

Sent from my palm device
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Craving attention is one thing. And using OC to get it is moronic.

OC ... is fine. Attention getters aren't.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sounds like he was a master baiter.

Sorry... Had to.
    carracer, Chief1297 and johnmed3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I personally can't stand the attitude most baiters have. You can get the same point across without being an a-hole.

Sent from my palm device
    The problem comes in defining a baiter. We all seem to have different ideas of what baiting is. Personally I believe that given the information in the OP that the person mentioned was baiting the cops. I may not like it but, was it illegal? Is walking down a street openly carrying a legal firearm baiting if OC is not against the law where it happens? Some say that is baiting.
    On the other side is a cop who demands that a person give information that under the law that person is not required to give abusing his authority? Or if the officer detains a person who has not broken a law.

I remember my father, a cop, cussing those who sat down in diners, soda shops and other establishments demanding to be served in the early to mid sixties. My father thought they were baiting cops, and starting trouble. Everyone has their own definition.

Michael
    msgt/ret likes this.

It became illegal when they asked for his permit and he refused to answer any questions. He was doing both so he was required to produce his permit.

He had also been covering his firearm with a jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    It became illegal when they asked for his permit and he refused to answer any questions. He was doing both so he was required to produce his permit.
    Understood an agree. If you're replying to my post I was only pointing out that there is huge difference of opinion as to what baiting is and what abuse of power is. I regard to the person in the story I have already said that with the facts given he was both baiting and in the wrong.

Michael

Sounds like they encountered a genuine male progeny of a female canine.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Understood an agree. If you're replying to my post I was only pointing out that there is huge difference of opinion as to what baiting is and what abuse of power is. I regard to the person in the story I have already said that with the facts given he was both baiting and in the wrong.

Michael
    Ok, I was just clarifying for everyone why it was illegal.
    mlr1m likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links