got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually, I can see good points raised by both sides of this issue. The "pick your battles" phrase comes up a lot with these things ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Actually, I can see good points raised by both sides of this issue. The "pick your battles" phrase comes up a lot with these things and I hope that our side picks them at least some of the time, even if they don't make headlines. There is no harm in holding a friendly conversation with them regarding the legality of your actions and to remind them that they are stepping well out of the bounds of school ground authority and it does not have to be done with an in-your-face approach. That being said, I would like to add that sometimes we also need to be careful about which battles we do not pick. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving them a friendly reality check, letting them know that part of their community has no problems exercising their Constitutional rights.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

I understand the conflict. On one hand, it's no big deal to conceal. On the other, I'll be damned if I like the idea of some low level government flunkie telling or even asking me to restrict my exercise of my rights on my own property. I would probably conceal and file a complaint with the person's supervisor.

I have to echo what quite a few others have already said. I say cover it up. There is potential for this to turn into a BIG headache for you. This fight just doesn't seem worth it to me. Just because something is legal doesn't always mean it is a good idea.
    CLASS3NH and limatunes like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Put your kid first.... conceal it.... my .02 cents.

There are times and places to make your stand, to me ... this wouldn't be one of them.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    +1 on the above.
    If it were me, I'd cover mine too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Hide it. The purpose of your gun (and yourself) is to protect your family.

Do what is in your family's best interests. Don't get branded. Save it for another day.

Bow to your government master and do as you are told.
    Even if you are in your own home and property.
    You will do as you are told.
    You broken no law but they make up some reason to force you to do their bidding. Wake up.

Exercise your rights (which there's no dispute you have that right), just be prepared to have to take your kid to school everyday and pick her up again in the afternoon.

Now, if having to take your kid back and forth to school everyday is a major inconvenience to you because of your job, and other obligations, then cover up the damn gun.

It's simply a matter of picking which battles you wish to participate.

But, know this... If you press your rights and they suspend her bus service, you may be able to win in the long run and have a successful court appearance. But you're still going to be taking her back and forth to school everyday in the mean time while you exercise your rights in court.

There's a big difference between what is right, what is wrong, and what is reality. It's your choice to make.
    Hoganbeg and limatunes like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you can afford to take her to school yourself (time/work hours and money) than refuse the 'request' and see what happens and fight the battle if there ends up being one to fight.

If not, just cover it up..

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Bow to your government master and do as you are told.
    Even if you are in your own home and property.
    You will do as you are told.
    You broken no law but they make up some reason to force you to do their bidding. Wake up.
    I think you missed most of the thread. This is a private/private matter - the government is not at issue.

I want to clarify my last post. I do understand it is a private issue and not one of government interference. My point was instead of just covering up and sucking it up I would make an appoitnment with the principal and talk to him about the conversation with the worker that visited and find out what his thoughts were.

Maybe there was a compliant or maybe not. But to not ask in a professional manner seems irresponsible. The man is not divulging any big secret. They already knows he OC's.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm trying to see the upside of displaying a firearm to a bus load of my kid's classmates every day, and am coming up blank.
    So children see it as normal would be my guess.

I'd be more concerned they would break in to steal it.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    I think you missed most of the thread. This is a private/private matter - the government is not at issue.
    Head start is a government program and bus service is paid for with tax dollars.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    First, this may be immature of me, but my first instinct when someone tells me not to do something is to do it. Especially if they have no right/authority to control me and I am within my rights and authority to do whatever said action is. Bringing my daughter into the equation would definitly make me think twice before I acted however.

But I don't see why everyone seems to be so divided on this. I think the most prudent response would be to inquire further. We need more information before we should be getting fired up. If it is just the teacher, with no official standing or backing, this is entirely a non-issue. No consequences to your child or costs other than the teacher she will have for one year may not like her. Stuff like that happens. But if it is an official policy, and there will be actual repercussions, then you can get it in writting, comply at the time to protect your daughter, prove to be a reasonable parent, while fighting the sittuation from the legal side.

Information is key. The details here are very important, and I would not take actions based on a veiled threat from one teacher.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Find out official policy and any repercussions from someone in charge and can make decisions. Sounds like you have other (and better) options and leverage against the program if they are needing kids for funding. Remember private institutions can refuse service for any reason.
    Last edited by nedrgr21; September 18th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Yeah, they are observant, why deny them the opportunity to observe a responsible adult with a gun who has no intent to harm them to counteract the indoctrination they are receiving at school.
    I would imagine that the kids have nothing to do with it.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Links