got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Head start is a government program and bus service is paid for with tax dollars. And it is still a private ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Head start is a government program and bus service is paid for with tax dollars.
    And it is still a private entity delivering the services.

2. Remove Ads

Ok, I have no idea how old the OP's daughter is, but if it were me, I would just tell the bus driver that my daughter could be let out at curbside and walk the 200 ft of drive if old enough. But my issue is-no one should tell you what to do on your property, and threatening you with cessation of service is (imho) illegal. They may can stop delivering your child to your front door, but they (AFAIK) cannot "kick" her out of the program or even off the bus (if they provide the bus service to one, they have to provide to all), you just may have to meet your child at the end of your drive-if so I would make sure I stayed on MY property at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    And it is still a private entity delivering the services.
    Sorry but that is not correct:
    The Head Start Program is a program of the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides comprehensive education, health, nutrition, ...

The Head Start Program is a program of the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides comprehensive education, health, nutrition, ...
    But unlike K-12, it's not mandatory. As such, they don't need to worry about punting a student because their parent is a pain to deal with.

Also, I'm not sure how the program works, but the only one I've seen up close was definitely privately operated. It was in a pretty small town though.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    But unlike K-12, it's not mandatory. As such, they don't need to worry about punting a student because their parent is a pain to deal with.

Also, I'm not sure how the program works, but the only one I've seen up close was definitely privately operated. It was in a pretty small town though.
    they are required by federal law to provide transportation or access to transportation to as many families as possible. either directly or via a contractor or other type of assistance. the vehicles used are even subject to safety and equipment requirements listed in a later paragraph of the regulation.

while "as many as possible" and "reasonable assistance" are certainly open ended and ambiguous phrases, the federal regulation at least provides for a case of discrimination if someone is denied transportation help for lack of cause while the agency (school district) provides it for others.

Code of Federal Regulations 45

§ 1310.10 General.

(a) Each agency must assist as many families as possible who need transportation in order for their children to attend the program in obtaining that transportation.

(b) When an agency has decided not to provide transportation services, either for all or a portion of the children, it must provide reasonable assistance to the families of such children to arrange transportation to and from its activities. The specific types of assistance being offered must be made clear to all prospective families in the program's recruitment announcements.

(c) Each agency providing transportation services is responsible for compliance with the applicable requirements of this Part. When an agency provides transportation through another organization or an individual, the agency must ensure the compliance of the transportation provider with the requirements of this part.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    they are required by federal law to provide transportation or access to transportation to as many families as possible. either directly or via a contractor or other type of assistance. the vehicles used are even subject to safety and equipment requirements listed in a later paragraph of the regulation.

while "as many as possible" and "reasonable assistance" are certainly open ended and ambiguous phrases, the federal regulation at least provides for a case of discrimination if someone is denied transportation help for lack of cause while the agency (school district) provides it for others.

Code of Federal Regulations 45

§ 1310.10 General.

(a) Each agency must assist as many families as possible who need transportation in order for their children to attend the program in obtaining that transportation.

(b) When an agency has decided not to provide transportation services, either for all or a portion of the children, it must provide reasonable assistance to the families of such children to arrange transportation to and from its activities. The specific types of assistance being offered must be made clear to all prospective families in the program's recruitment announcements.

(c) Each agency providing transportation services is responsible for compliance with the applicable requirements of this Part. When an agency provides transportation through another organization or an individual, the agency must ensure the compliance of the transportation provider with the requirements of this part.
    Discrimination would be difficult to prove unless the company (or its agent) stated they would not pick up his daughter because he is a member of the [NRA, GOA, or insert whatever you like]. Furthermore, the costs of filing and prosecuting a lawsuit are prohibitively expensive and, even if tricolordad were to prevail, he would not recover most of those costs. He would have to find an attorney to take his case pro bono.

Senior Moderator

There's a saying I heard recently that I have since fallen in love with.

You can choose your actions, but you cannot choose the consequences of those actions.

Yes, everything is speculation at this point. But it's very clear that there certainly could be some consequences to your actions. If you do as you say you are going to do (i.e. write a letter and have a sit down talk and threaten them with removing your daughters because of their request) then you are upping the stakes yourself.

(But, honestly, if the program is as bad as you say, and your daughter's mean as much to you as you say and you seem to have no concerns about moving them why did you enroll them in an under-rated program to begin with?)

The lady made a simple request. You can read into her demeanor anyway you want but the fact is that this was still just a simple request that you can choose to ignore.

I think that in society there does have to be some hardlines drawn as to what you will and will not accept but I also think there needs to be some give and take on the grey-matter issues. Only you can decide that for yourself. But as stated, this has potential to go ways that are very problematic for you...

In my opinion, however, you are thinking of this pretty selfishly. It's all about you and what you can and/or can't do.

But if everything goes south your girls have to move to a different school, lose some friends, maybe a policy gets written that forbids carry on buses limiting other people's rights.. all because you couldn't put a shirt on.

As I said, you can choose your actions, but not the consequences and, no, I do not think this is a hill worth dying on. But that's me.

Now I will pause so that people can tell me how anti-gun I am.

Well said, Lima. I now love this too: "You can choose your actions, but you cannot choose the consequences of those actions."

As an aside, I noticed that the smoke clouds appear to be "Flying Elephants" I am very familiar with "Flying Pigs", having promised my children many exotic gifts and the like, "When Pigs Fly".............I need to change to "When Elephants Fly".
    limatunes likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, Lima, I think you nailed it. Sometime the means don't justify the end; sometimes the end doesn't justify the means.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Well said, Lima. I now love this too: "You can choose your actions, but you cannot choose the consequences of those actions."

As an aside, I noticed that the smoke clouds appear to be "Flying Elephants" I am very familiar with "Flying Pigs", having promised my children many exotic gifts and the like, "When Pigs Fly".............I need to change to "When Elephants Fly".
    Dumbo flew, but I don't know of any flying pigs.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    Discrimination would be difficult to prove unless the company (or its agent) stated they would not pick up his daughter because he is a member of the [NRA, GOA, or insert whatever you like]. Furthermore, the costs of filing and prosecuting a lawsuit are prohibitively expensive and, even if tricolordad were to prevail, he would not recover most of those costs. He would have to find an attorney to take his case pro bono.
    proving discrimination would be easy if they are providing transportation to anyone else. they'd have to explain why his neighbors get it and he doesn't. if he can demonstrate that all things are equal minus his firearm and that his firearm is legal in the areas he plans to be then that's discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    [As I said, you can choose your actions, but not the consequences and, no, I do not think this is a hill worth dying on. But that's me.

Now I will pause so that people can tell me how anti-gun I am.
    Contrary to what some may have you believe logic and intelligence aren't synonymous with anti-gun. Excellent post limatunes.
    limatunes likes this.

Lima: Good post. But I still fail to see why folks do not recommend that this gentleman talk to the principal and see what he feels. That is not making a big issue out of anything. If a teacher asked my or my child to change a behaviour I would think that anyone would like to know what the principals stance is. Then you do what you feel is best for yourself and child.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Wouldnt exactly call that "food" nutritious...she prefers to eat at home and here you dont get up until all the vegetables and half the meat is gone.

I foundit interesting that only a few people suggested that i sit down and talk with the director. I suspect that the 'dont mess with the school' attitude has something to do with a generational gap. I know that in the domain of DC, Im young compared to most...those who graduated from school in the 50, 60s and 70s grew up in a very anti gun society. Almost no states had CC, OC was look down on and guns were a taboo subject. Now all but Illinois And D.C. Recognize the 2A. Just my .02 on the matter.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Nobody has pointed out that the same people who are making this request that you deem unreasonable are the same people who you're trusting your child to with unrestricted access for multiple hours per day.
    Great Point!

My wife & I came to the end of our rope & this understanding during the 08 election when our kids came home wearing Obama buttons and saying they voted today.

That's when we decided "WE" had to truly put our children first! We weren't about to let them become mindless, indoctrinated, brainwashed SHEEP!

I was disabled & she was the breadwinner of the family. But, she didn't make enough to pay for "private" education. So, I became a "Homeschool" dad. Today my kids get a better education than at the PSS and they do not get indoctrinated.

If there is anyway possible for you to be a "Homeschool" dad TCD, I would encourage you to go the same route I did. I do struggle some. But, the sacrifice has been worth truly putting my children 1st when it comes to their education.

-
    RichB70 likes this.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links