Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

got asked to conceal at my own home...

13K views 182 replies 66 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
Today my daughters head start teacher came for a home visit, and right before leaving, she asked me to cover up my handgun when the bus dropped off my kid. I hadn't even thought of it, I put on my clothes the same way each day. I'm conflicted as to what to do. On one hand, I'm in private property, on the other, they could refuse bus service which I need. What do you guys think?

I have my CCL, and on private property it isn't required to conceal. OC is constitutional here as well.

#3 ·
Probably the same way the schools think they can discipline kids who act up at a bus stop. In the winter time back home, suspensions were issued dor snowball fights. Not saying I agree with it though.

#5 ·
Put your kid first.... conceal it.... my .02 cents.

There are times and places to make your stand, to me ... this wouldn't be one of them.

#7 ·
Start a log documenting the encounter and the request. Include the date, time of day, purpose of the visit, and exactly what was said to you as nearly as you can remember it. Also list any others who were witness to the conversation. Record the date when you made the log entry, and then ignore the request. Do as you please as long as it's legal. Your rights have not as yet been violated so there is nothing to complain about, yet. If and when they violate your rights by actually denying you service, you will have a stronger case. Hopefully there won't be. For now, the ball is in their court.

Reactions: ericb327
#10 ·
I don't think a bus load of head start kids are gonna care, or probably even notice, that you are OC. I wouldn't exactly call it displaying, either. So I wouldn't worry about any "do it for the kids" line of thinking. The only reason I would conceal in this situation is if they truly can/will refuse the bus service because of it. I OC on my own property all the time, and I'll be damned if anybody tries to tell me how I should be carrying at my own home.

#17 ·
The bus drops my kid off at the door to my house after traveling the 200 feet up the driveway. I asked my daughter if any kids saw my gun and were talking about it or scared by it, as was told to me by the teacher, and she said "no." While I agree with some statements concerning te bill of rights...I do see my liberties and constitutionally guranteed rights being trampled by police to accommodate one anti's agenda, even though I am well within my rights to do as I please on private property. Its irritating that the school feels the need to question a man with a gun, whom they accuse of being "scary." So terrifyingly scary they come into my home to confront me and ask me to put 1/8 of an inch of fabric over it because that will make it sooo much better. Ugh...

Reactions: foamx and 65108
#61 ·
I do see my liberties and constitutionally guranteed rights being trampled by police to accommodate one anti's agenda, even though I am well within my rights to do as I please on private property.
So how are police trampling on your rights? Nothing your posts mentions LE being summoned.

As I see it, you're enjoying a free service (Head Start) funded by other people's money (did I hear a 'thank you' anywhere? but that's ok, you're welcome) and door service up a 200-foot driveway.

I understand your annoyance at being asked to cover your sidearm on your own property, but at the most you are risking a service afforded to you at no direct cost because you're offended at someone's request. Some times in life you just can't have it all - so you might just lose your free Head Start program (which is a freebie, not a right) because you are indignant about your Constitutional right being challenged. Doesn't seem like win-win to me.

#19 ·
I think it's pretty weird to be asked to do this... they're guns, kids know what they are, what are they afraid of?

But if this was my son, I'd just tuck it in. Maybe I'm a pansy, but I just wouldn't want to deal with an argument over it... maybe say "yeah, I'll do it, but...." then tell them why you think you shouldn't have to, but I wouldn't make a big deal about it.... just me though

#122 ·
I agree. It's not like the OP is being asked to disarm. You are just as able to defend yourself concealed than you are open carry. I would not risk my child not being able to ride the bus (at least until you could get things settled). I know there are those on here who will take a hardline stand, but I would just cover it up and keep things civil.

#20 ·
The tone of the request and the way she snuck it in as she was leaving made it pretty clear what the message was. It was more telling than asking me not to. It was implied.

#48 ·
Depends on how strongly you feel about this. I know adhering to the request/demand might be too much to swallow and I certainly would understand that sentiment. If you really want to push it you might as well consider sending an email to the school/district (principal, superintendent, etc.) with a detailed recount of the "discussion" and then seeking to clarify what the school/district would do with respect to transportation if you were not to heed the request/demand.

#22 ·
Tread very lightly in this matter. If they have visited your home to ask you to cover your weapon, I doubt that this situation is over. School Districts are stepping across the boundaries of our Constitutional Rights more and more in the name of children safety. I would request a meeting with the person that came to your house to find our exactly what agenda they have planned. I might take an attorney to this meeting.
I've done a lot of work for School Boards and have seen a lot of scary stuff......in the name of the kids. I call BS.....its about Government Control. Period.

#26 ·
While her request seems odd, I don't see much to make a big deal out of it. It's not like she "recommended" that you leave it inside your house locked up. Maybe then a "trampling of your rights" can be argued.

If its concealed you won't have to worry about a tweak bus driver getting spooked and reporting that she/he felt a parent was about to pull a gun.

#27 ·
While her request seems odd, I don't see much to make a big deal out of it. It's not like she "recommended" that you leave it inside your house locked up. Maybe then a "trampling of your rights" can be argued.

If its concealed you won't have to worry about a tweak bus driver getting spooked and reporting that she/he felt a parent was about to pull a gun.
Lets hope his daughter's bus driver isn't tweaking at any point :wink:

#28 ·
Sounds like a simple case of the teacher trying to impose her beliefs onto you....... Last I checked the law is on your side...

#29 ·
Kids need positive role models. Not all children are fortunate to have one. These little ones are being thrown into a liberal indoctrination camp for the next 12 years. In my opinion seeing a gun on a dad or mom would do more good than can be measured. Of course you need to decide if you are a Crusader. I hope you are. I am not.

#37 ·
You have to realize that WI teachers are extremely liberal as a rule & the mere thought of children seeing a gun gives them nightmares. Keep in mind that Gov.Walker's reign brought us Concealed Carry & anything he does will be fought against by the teachers. They don't realize that according to our Constitution we can openly carry without a license but the Constitution hasn't stopped them in the past unless the can make it work in their favor.

Having said that I'd suggest not to make waves & comply with her wishes just for your daughter's sake. You don't want her to take it out on her because she's "tainted" by a gun-totin' dad.

When it comes to teachers in this state nothing is fair unless they feel that it's fair regardless of the law. Just hope you don't get a bunch of red-shirted, blue-fisted screaming people picketing your home, lol.

#40 ·
I knew schools were on the prohibited list here, but just the other day I was reading through statues and was suprised to see that possession of a firearm is illegal at a bus stop in FL. :blink:

This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Personally in this case, while I would feel the same outrage, I would keep a cover garment handy and toss it on when greeting the bus.

#76 ·
I knew schools were on the prohibited list here, but just the other day I was reading through statues and was suprised to see that possession of a firearm is illegal at a bus stop in FL. :blink:

This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Personally in this case, while I would feel the same outrage, I would keep a cover garment handy and toss it on when greeting the bus.
790.25(5) is firearm carry in a vehicle, so not totally illegal. Still, this whole thread is, for the large part, pointless. No one has denied the OP his right to carry a firearm for protection; he's only been asked to use a small amount of discretion.

#41 ·
I'd file a complaint right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.