got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 I'm trying to see the upside of displaying a firearm to a bus load of my kid's classmates every day, and ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm trying to see the upside of displaying a firearm to a bus load of my kid's classmates every day, and am coming up blank.
    Let them see that not all guns are bad... soooo they don't grow up thinking anti-gun... just saying...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

The bus drops my kid off at the door to my house after traveling the 200 feet up the driveway. I asked my daughter if any kids saw my gun and were talking about it or scared by it, as was told to me by the teacher, and she said "no." While I agree with some statements concerning te bill of rights...I do see my liberties and constitutionally guranteed rights being trampled by police to accommodate one anti's agenda, even though I am well within my rights to do as I please on private property. Its irritating that the school feels the need to question a man with a gun, whom they accuse of being "scary." So terrifyingly scary they come into my home to confront me and ask me to put 1/8 of an inch of fabric over it because that will make it sooo much better. Ugh...
    pittypat21 and foamx like this.

Did they actually tell you that they would refuse the bus service because of it? Or is that just a concern of yours?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I think it's pretty weird to be asked to do this... they're guns, kids know what they are, what are they afraid of?

But if this was my son, I'd just tuck it in. Maybe I'm a pansy, but I just wouldn't want to deal with an argument over it... maybe say "yeah, I'll do it, but...." then tell them why you think you shouldn't have to, but I wouldn't make a big deal about it.... just me though
    BurgerBoy likes this.

The tone of the request and the way she snuck it in as she was leaving made it pretty clear what the message was. It was more telling than asking me not to. It was implied.

Well fortunately for you she can't actually tell you not to. I'd say do what you do, but if you keep on OC and they try to cancel her bus service over it, I'd fight 'em. It wouldn't be hard to win a fight like that.
    Last edited by pittypat21; September 18th, 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling error.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Tread very lightly in this matter. If they have visited your home to ask you to cover your weapon, I doubt that this situation is over. School Districts are stepping across the boundaries of our Constitutional Rights more and more in the name of children safety. I would request a meeting with the person that came to your house to find our exactly what agenda they have planned. I might take an attorney to this meeting.
    I've done a lot of work for School Boards and have seen a lot of scary stuff......in the name of the kids. I call BS.....its about Government Control. Period.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    , and right before leaving, she asked me to cover up my handgun when the bus dropped off my kid. .
    Did you ask her why? Keep it simple.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Was the cover request the official reason for the visit?

Perhaps they'd be less enthused if you hid your Second Amendment issue but sported a little First Amendment filth on your shirt and let your boxers out of your pants every day (like that never happens in certain parts of town).

I'm trying to see the upside of displaying a firearm to a bus load of my kid's classmates every day, and am coming up blank.
    I'm trying to see the upside of displaying the firearm at a park, McDonalds, the mall, WalMart, etc. where kids congregate. Oh wait, because I can?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    The bus drops my kid off at the door to my house after traveling the 200 feet up the driveway. I asked my daughter if any kids saw my gun and were talking about it or scared by it, as was told to me by the teacher, and she said "no." I took her to the bus the same way last year and even walked on to strap her into a car seat everytime last year for her speech therapy at a REAL school. Nobody cared nor mentioned it even once in the 14 months ive had her enrolled. While I agree with some statements concerning te bill of rights...I do see my liberties and constitutionally guranteed rights being trampled by police to accommodate one anti's agenda, even though I am well within my rights to do as I please on private property. Its irritating that the school feels the need to question a man with a gun, whom they accuse of being "scary." So terrifyingly scary they come into my home to confront me and ask me to put 1/8 of an inch of fabric over it because that will make it sooo much better. Ugh...
    Down here in VA that's a Felony. Shivered me timbers to read that!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Does there always need to be an upside when an adult does something?

Michael
    tricolordad likes this.

While her request seems odd, I don't see much to make a big deal out of it. It's not like she "recommended" that you leave it inside your house locked up. Maybe then a "trampling of your rights" can be argued.

If its concealed you won't have to worry about a tweak bus driver getting spooked and reporting that she/he felt a parent was about to pull a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RC12 View Post
    While her request seems odd, I don't see much to make a big deal out of it. It's not like she "recommended" that you leave it inside your house locked up. Maybe then a "trampling of your rights" can be argued.

If its concealed you won't have to worry about a tweak bus driver getting spooked and reporting that she/he felt a parent was about to pull a gun.
    Lets hope his daughter's bus driver isn't tweaking at any point

Sounds like a simple case of the teacher trying to impose her beliefs onto you....... Last I checked the law is on your side...
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Kids need positive role models. Not all children are fortunate to have one. These little ones are being thrown into a liberal indoctrination camp for the next 12 years. In my opinion seeing a gun on a dad or mom would do more good than can be measured. Of course you need to decide if you are a Crusader. I hope you are. I am not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    If you read what I posted, I specifically said that I would only conceal if they truly can/will refuse the bus service. I wouldn't if the only consequence is kids saw a safely holstered and responsibly carried weapon.
    I read what you posted, and responded. If it is more important to you to carry as you like than to keep the free bus rides coming for the Headstart program, do it.
    mlr1m likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links