got asked to conceal at my own home... - Page 3

got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spec Let them see that not all guns are bad... soooo they don't grow up thinking anti-gun... just saying... If and when ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Let them see that not all guns are bad... soooo they don't grow up thinking anti-gun... just saying...
    If and when this turns into a big deal for the OP and his child, that mark will have been seriously over-shot.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Does there always need to be an upside when an adult does something?

Michael
    If it comes with a downside, one should weigh each alternative.
    Rock and Glock and CJM like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If it comes with a downside, one should weigh each alternative.
    That's always good advice.
    Rock and Glock and CLASS3NH like this.

have your attorney ask her (and the superintendent) if exercising your 2a rights in your own home will limit your child's access to an education.
    ericb327 and pir8fan like this.

I agree you should be able to carry as you like on your property however getting on the bus is another thing, think that is school property and that is indeed a felony!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Put your kid first.... conceal it.... my .02 cents.

There are times and places to make your stand, to me ... this wouldn't be one of them.
    +1 this would not be the time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

GH
    You have to realize that WI teachers are extremely liberal as a rule & the mere thought of children seeing a gun gives them nightmares. Keep in mind that Gov.Walker's reign brought us Concealed Carry & anything he does will be fought against by the teachers. They don't realize that according to our Constitution we can openly carry without a license but the Constitution hasn't stopped them in the past unless the can make it work in their favor.

Having said that I'd suggest not to make waves & comply with her wishes just for your daughter's sake. You don't want her to take it out on her because she's "tainted" by a gun-totin' dad.

When it comes to teachers in this state nothing is fair unless they feel that it's fair regardless of the law. Just hope you don't get a bunch of red-shirted, blue-fisted screaming people picketing your home, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    From my experience with little kids, they're gonna be more preoccupied with socializing on the bus.
    All it takes is one kid to notice and say "hey that guy has a gun!" and then all eyes are going to on you.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    ... I think that is school property and that is indeed a felony!!
    what property are you talking about? I would make that woman clarify her "request" in writing.

I knew schools were on the prohibited list here, but just the other day I was reading through statues and was suprised to see that possession of a firearm is illegal at a bus stop in FL.

This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
    1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
    2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
    3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Personally in this case, while I would feel the same outrage, I would keep a cover garment handy and toss it on when greeting the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Today my daughters head start teacher came for a home visit, and right before leaving, she asked me to cover up my handgun when the bus dropped off my kid. I hadn't even thought of it, I put on my clothes the same way each day. I'm conflicted as to what to do. On one hand, I'm in private property, on the other, they could refuse bus service which I need. What do you guys think?

I have my CCL, and on private property it isn't required to conceal. OC is constitutional here as well.
    I'd file a complaint right away.

VIP Member
    This is one of those "choose your battles carefully" decision.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

For all those wondering about the WI laws see 948.605

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...atutes/948/605
    Molon Labe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Was the cover request the official reason for the visit?

Perhaps they'd be less enthused if you hid your Second Amendment issue but sported a little First Amendment filth on your shirt and let your boxers out of your pants every day (like that never happens in certain parts of town).

I'm trying to see the upside of displaying the firearm at a park, McDonalds, the mall, WalMart, etc. where kids congregate. Oh wait, because I can?
    Unless the park, McDonalds and the other places you mentioned also serve as school bus stops, it is a bad analogy.
    CJM likes this.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I agree that you need to choose your battles carefully. How important is Head Start and front door bus service to you and your family? If you would be willing to let your child sit out for the year or more that it could take to litigate this then stick to your open carry. However, they did not ask you to disarm, just cover. There is no guarantee that you would win a court case if it came to that.

Yes, you are on private property, but they can take away a time sensitive benefit to your family at least for a while. There is a better time and place to fight this battle.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links