got asked to conceal at my own home... - Page 4

got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by phreddy ... they can take away a time sensitive benefit to your family at least for a while. There is a better ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    ... they can take away a time sensitive benefit to your family at least for a while. There is a better time and place to fight this battle.
    what I'm saying is to get clarification about this. ask them directly, in writing, if this is the case. if they say they will in fact withhold transportation services based on the firearm, then decide if you want to pursue a potential violation of 45 CFR part 1310.10 or if you want to just cover it up. or both.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    She asked, didn't demand? Sounds like she's not disapproving of your rights to protection, just hoping to avoid any potiential issues others may have with your displaying a firearm at a school bus stop.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. I'd do the simple thing that doesn't restrict your "rights" and cover up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    The tone of the request and the way she snuck it in as she was leaving made it pretty clear what the message was. It was more telling than asking me not to. It was implied.
    Depends on how strongly you feel about this. I know adhering to the request/demand might be too much to swallow and I certainly would understand that sentiment. If you really want to push it you might as well consider sending an email to the school/district (principal, superintendent, etc.) with a detailed recount of the "discussion" and then seeking to clarify what the school/district would do with respect to transportation if you were not to heed the request/demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I read what you posted, and responded. If it is more important to you to carry as you like than to keep the free bus rides coming for the Headstart program, do it.
    You seem to be either completely missing what I'm saying, or just ignoring it. As it stands now, I do not believe that they could actually refuse the service just because of this, so I would continue carrying as I like. However, "if they truly can/will refuse the service" I would conceal it. I'm pretty sure that shows very clearly that I would like the free bus rides to continue. I have two daughters of my own, so I'm not just speaking hypothetically.
    tricolordad and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

It's a sad, sad day when a government official requests that you not exercise one of your protected constitutional individual rights. Would it be any different if they asked you not to wear that red shirt (you know, because red is the color of communists) or that cross on your belt buckle? Of course, they say It's not restricting your freedom of expression, because surely you can pick any other colors or symbols you like - just don't pick those that offend others.

It's even more sad when a good percentage of the advice on a forum like this is to just bend over and take it - that's a nice lesson for the kids. That is the lesson that unfortunately has been taught for the last several generations that has now eroded our rights so badly that the mere visibility of a gun around children sends our public servants into a wild frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Was the cover request the official reason for the visit?

Perhaps they'd be less enthused if you hid your Second Amendment issue but sported a little First Amendment filth on your shirt and let your boxers out of your pants every day (like that never happens in certain parts of town).

I'm trying to see the upside of displaying the firearm at a park, McDonalds, the mall, WalMart, etc. where kids congregate. Oh wait, because I can?

Down here in VA that's a Felony. Shivered me timbers to read that!
    It is NOT a felony. I am on my own property. I This is the issue: the school which is not an actual school and is run by a fitness center feels that they can dictate what i do on my own property. I would not be posting otherwise. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

The legal definition of a school in the state of wisconsin is grades 1-12. head start and 4k DOES NOT QUALIFY AS A SCHOOL.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Ah, well if it's a private school, ah, that changes everything. They can tell you to do whatever they want, and you can choose to ignore them or not. They may refuse service, and then you may choose to litigate that. Good luck.

Personally, if this a private operation, just go talk to the person and whoever runs the school and explain the situation and then try to come to a workable understanding with them about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    She asked, didn't demand? Sounds like she's not disapproving of your rights to protection, just hoping to avoid any potiential issues others may have with your displaying a firearm at a school bus stop.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. I'd do the simple thing that doesn't restrict your "rights" and cover up.
    again, like others have stated, how the heck am i displaying it?? it is a properly holstered firearm in a retentive holster. i was neither holding it up or showing it off. to display would be the same as brandishing.
    pittypat21 likes this.

We temper our exercise of our 1A rights, because we're sensible. We COULD walk into a mall and spew profanity and any number of horrible things, but we don't so as to be reasonable people who just want to get through the day smoothly. If you can explain to me how OCing in front of this bus will make your life easier, then do so. But you have only listed the bad things that might happen; temper yourself, be reasonable and for that 30 seconds, pull your shirt over it, and make the day smoother. Unless you're a crusader...My 2 cents.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If it comes with a downside, one should weigh each alternative.
    to do that is to live in fear of another persons fear, which is stupid.
    pir8fan likes this.

again, like others have stated, how the heck am i displaying it?? it is a properly holstered firearm in a retentive holster. i was neither holding it up or showing it off. to display would be the same as brandishing.
    Same as I've said before. There's a big difference between displaying a firearm and responsibly carrying a safely holstered one. Nobody can tell you how to carry on your own property, so that is indeed "restricting" your rights.
    tricolordad likes this.

VIP Member
    to do that is to live in fear of another persons fear, which is stupid.
    We live in the reality of other people's fears 24/7, hence all the illogical, unreasonable restrictions placed on where and when we can and cannot carry in general. To deny that is delusional.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD
    Administrator
    Not quite, to display something it to make it visible for observation, which is typically what OC'ers are looking for. I don't mean that in the "hey everybody look at me and my gun" but many have commented here that they see OC as a visual deterrent.

Brandishing usually requires some form of intent to menace or threaten.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Same as I've said before. There's a big difference between displaying a firearm and responsibly carrying a safely holstered one. Nobody can tell you how to carry on your own property, so that is indeed "restricting" your rights.
    Same as I said before, a firearm is either concealed or displayed.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not quite, to display something it to make it visible for observation, which is typically what OC'ers are looking for. I don't mean that in the "hey everybody look at me and my gun" but many have commented here that they see OC as a visual deterrent.

Brandishing usually requires some form of intent to menace or threaten.
    Technically, yes. However, I've heard of people calling the cops on a carrier claiming that he was brandishing when in fact the weapon never left the holster. Also, I've heard of situations where the weapon wasn't being displayed in a menacing or threatening manner, but because some idiot felt (irrationally) threatened by it, it was construed as brandishing.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links