got asked to conceal at my own home... - Page 5

got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tricolordad I do see my liberties and constitutionally guranteed rights being trampled by police to accommodate one anti's agenda, even though I ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I do see my liberties and constitutionally guranteed rights being trampled by police to accommodate one anti's agenda, even though I am well within my rights to do as I please on private property.
    So how are police trampling on your rights? Nothing your posts mentions LE being summoned.

As I see it, you're enjoying a free service (Head Start) funded by other people's money (did I hear a 'thank you' anywhere? but that's ok, you're welcome) and door service up a 200-foot driveway.

I understand your annoyance at being asked to cover your sidearm on your own property, but at the most you are risking a service afforded to you at no direct cost because you're offended at someone's request. Some times in life you just can't have it all - so you might just lose your free Head Start program (which is a freebie, not a right) because you are indignant about your Constitutional right being challenged. Doesn't seem like win-win to me.
    phreddy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    We live in the reality of other people's fears 24/7, hence all the illogical, unreasonable restrictions placed on where and when we can and cannot carry in general. To deny that is delusional.
    if we keep doing what they want then they will keep imposing on us. we will lose our rights as a whole AGAIN. this state is coming off a hundred year track reccord of punishing its citizens for acting in a constiutionally protected way. why give it back after we won our rights back?! that makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    So how are police trampling on your rights? Nothing your posts mentions LE being summoned.

As I see it, you're enjoying a free service (Head Start) funded by other people's money (did I hear a 'thank you' anywhere? but that's ok, you're welcome) and door service up a 200-foot driveway.
    I understand your annoyance at being asked to cover your sidearm on your own property, but at the most you are risking a service afforded to you at no direct cost because you're offended at someone's request. Some times in life you just can't have it all - so you might just lose your free Head Start program (which is a freebie, not a right) because you are indignant about your Constitutional right being challenged. Doesn't seem like win-win to me.
    I pay taxes too...ive paid them since i was 15, so its been more than paid for with the american taxpayers 'borrowed' money. i will also continue to pay taxes because of a thing called "withholding." Police will be tramping on my rights as soon as the school district calls them over me doing as i please on my private property. i was once kicked out of school for asking why a free people are forced to recite the pledge of allegiance, so i know the districts intentions and ways very well.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Technically, yes. However, I've heard of people calling the cops on a carrier claiming that he was brandishing when in fact the weapon never left the holster. Also, I've heard of situations where the weapon wasn't being displayed in a menacing or threatening manner, but because some idiot felt (irrationally) threatened by it, it was construed as brandishing.
    Well you can't stop people from making bogus calls, but when looking at the "letter of the law" in every state that I've researched (about 25 or 30 the last time I counted), the act of open carry of itself is not brandishing.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well you can't stop people from making bogus calls, but when looking at the "letter of the law" in every state that I've researched (about 25 or 30 the last time I counted), the act of open carry of itself is not brandishing.
    You're most certainly right on that one JD. You can't stop people from making bogus calls (unfortunately). And you are correct in what you say of brandishing; I've also done a bit of research on various states' laws. However, I was not trying to say that OC is brandishing. I'm sorry if it came across that way; I'm sure you can tell from reading my posts on this thread alone that I am an advocate of OC (especially on one's own property). In fact, I was specifically trying to say before that simply carrying is not the same as displaying (brandishing) it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    if we keep doing what they want then they will keep imposing on us. we will lose our rights as a whole AGAIN. this state is coming off a hundred year track reccord of punishing its citizens for acting in a constiutionally protected way. why give it back after we won our rights back?! that makes no sense to me.
    One school of thought, I guess. Another one is that if one pushes hard enough, and they push back.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

here comes the good bus. the bad one will be here at 11:10.

One school of thought, I guess. Another one is that if one pushes hard enough, and they push back.
    That's exactly right - they push, we push back.
    tricolordad and Hoganbeg like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    In an ideal world, this would be a non issue. This is not an ideal world.
    What is also clear from your follow up posts is that the part of this that is sticking in your craw is the "property rights" issue. Well, in actuality, I think it really amounts to a control or power issue for you and you perceive that your being threatened. Perhaps you are, e.g. with loss of bus service, or perhaps you are making this into something it is not.
    The bottom line is that you have a choice. You can either recognize that the site of a gun makes some, if not many people nervous and understand that they will be prone to act irrationally where their children are concerned, or you can challenge it. To me it looks like this person acknowledged your right/privelge to carry, but is also pointing out that others (the majority) won't see it that way and is suggesting a way to avoid problems. Either way you get to accept the consequence, good or bad for your choice(s).
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    In an ideal world, this would be a non issue. This is not an ideal world.
    What is also clear from your follow up posts is that the part of this that is sticking in your craw is the "property rights" issue. Well, in actuality, I think it really amounts to a control or power issue for you and you perceive that your being threatened. Perhaps you are, e.g. with loss of bus service, or perhaps you are making this into something it is not.
    The bottom line is that you have a choice. You can either recognize that the site of a gun makes some, if not many people nervous and understand that they will be prone to act irrationally where their children are concerned, or you can challenge it. To me it looks like this person acknowledged your right/privelge to carry, but is also pointing out that others (the majority) won't see it that way and is suggesting a way to avoid problems. Either way you get to accept the consequence, good or bad for your choice(s).
    One does have the right to be the "power" on his own property. I'd be ok with your assessment on that.

I would be appalled by the request and might even show it, but for the sake of my child I would suffer anything to insure their betterment.
    phreddy and CJM like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

castle doctrine. a mans home is his castle, his last place of retreat. that would mean that this king should protect his children and not be subjected to the irrational requests of others. i dont go into their 'school' and question their ability to protect the children nor do i interfere in their 'safety' procedures or ignore the illegally undersized gunbuster signs which are faded and peeling off the windows.

VIP Member
    castle doctrine. a mans home is his castle, his last place of retreat. that would mean that this king should protect his children and not be subjected to the irrational requests of others. i dont go into their 'school' and question their ability to protect the children nor do i interfere in their 'safety' procedures or ignore the illegally undersized gunbuster signs which are faded and peeling off the windows.
    How is your ability to protect your children or your right to protect the castle been infringed upon? "Irrational" is an entirely-subjective concept, and one I would be reluctant to play upon in this particular scenario.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

How is your ability to protect your children or your right to protect the castle been infringed upon? "Irrational" is an entirely-subjective concept, and one I would be reluctant to play upon in this particular scenario.
    if a bg were to be on the bus, i woud have to brush my jacket out of the way and draw and fire, im pretty good at it, but id prefer to keep it handy. a jacket could be the difference between life and death. my 2 girls are my only blood relation in this world, i couldnt live without them and as close as we are, it would ruin their lives to lose me.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    castle doctrine. a mans home is his castle, his last place of retreat. that would mean that this king should protect his children and not be subjected to the irrational requests of others.(snip)
    You're correct, at least to a degree. There is also the dynamic of your interacting with others who may not share your views.
    You need to look at the tone of your posts. If you go into this, "with guns blazing", you may wind up with a Pyrrhic victory. Instead of getting hostile, maybe you should try the reasoned approach? When suggested you cover, did you ask why (in a manner expressing curiosity and discussion)? Maybe you would have discovered the basis for the objection and had an opportunity to solve it? Perhaps you could still bring it up. I would suggest acknowledging the teacher's recognition of your right to carry and ask why they though that OC would be an issue? Try to make them into an advocate instead of an adversary.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links