got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Lish I knew schools were on the prohibited list here, but just the other day I was reading through statues and was ...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I knew schools were on the prohibited list here, but just the other day I was reading through statues and was suprised to see that possession of a firearm is illegal at a bus stop in FL.

This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
    2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
    3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

Personally in this case, while I would feel the same outrage, I would keep a cover garment handy and toss it on when greeting the bus.
    790.25(5) is firearm carry in a vehicle, so not totally illegal. Still, this whole thread is, for the large part, pointless. No one has denied the OP his right to carry a firearm for protection; he's only been asked to use a small amount of discretion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Nobody has pointed out that the same people who are making this request that you deem unreasonable are the same people who you're trusting your child to with unrestricted access for multiple hours per day.
    tcox4freedom and CIBMike like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    if a bg were to be on the bus, i woud have to brush my jacket out of the way and draw and fire, im pretty good at it, but id prefer to keep it handy. a jacket could be the difference between life and death. my 2 girls are my only blood relation in this world, i couldnt live without them and as close as we are, it would ruin their lives to lose me.
    Really?

In terms of threat analysis, you're probably at a greater risk of a shark attack in Wi than the proposed scenario...not even going to touch the notion of getting into a shoot out on board a bus full of kids....

Without turning this into an open vs. concealed debate, which do you think is more likely to happen, a bad guy hiding on the bus...

Or this?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Could be worse - she could have freaked out and reported you to to the Nanny State Police and CPS.

I agree with Eagle - I think this is one of those times when discretion is the better part of valor. Cover up when the bus shows up.

What are the odds of open carrying bringing more negative, unwanted attention from the school, and possibly LE vs. the odds of a bad guy hi-jacking the head start bus?

This is just my opinion, but I think you're trying a little to hard to make excuses to open carry.

Had you cited possible Martian invasion or zombies I probably would be a little more on board than bad guy(s) hiding on the school bus.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Had you cited possible Martian invasion or zombies I probably would be a little more on board than bad guy(s) hiding on the school bus.

Hahaha, you're crackin' me up with the martians and zombies, JD!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post

Hahaha, you're crackin' me up with the martians and zombies, JD!

Don't get me started on the Grass Hoppers w/ machine guns...those guys are sinister.

I'll keep my head down!

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I don't think a bus load of head start kids are gonna care, or probably even notice, that you are OC. I wouldn't exactly call it displaying, either. So I wouldn't worry about any "do it for the kids" line of thinking. The only reason I would conceal in this situation is if they truly can/will refuse the bus service because of it. I OC on my own property all the time, and I'll be damned if anybody tries to tell me how I should be carrying at my own home.
    My daughter busted me with a IWB while being tucked. She saw the clips and put 2 and 2 together. Kids notice EVERYTHING!!

My 2 cents, cover up at bus stop.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

To the OP, it is your home do what you would like. However, using a little tack might be well advised. If you do choose not to cover it up, you will be labeled the gun nut, and I wouldnt doubt is some sort of notation goes into your kids file. This is the time to play it safe....

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    My daughter busted me with a IWB while being tucked. She saw the clips and put 2 and 2 together. Kids notice EVERYTHING!!

My 2 cents, cover up at bus stop.
    Like I mentioned in a post after that one - a bus full of 3-5 year olds are gonna be spending more time socializing, not examining your outfit out the bus windows. Not to mention that she IS your daughter, so a gun I'm sure isn't an uncommon occurrence, as opposed to a kid who might have never even seen one at that point in life.
    tricolordad likes this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    790.25(5) is firearm carry in a vehicle, so not totally illegal. Still, this whole thread is, for the large part, pointless. No one has denied the OP his right to carry a firearm for protection; he's only been asked to use a small amount of discretion.
    The last thing anyone wants is little Joey telling his parents that Tommy's dad has a gun. Parents ask how do you know that? Well I saw it at the bus stop today. Now little Joey's parents are calling the school and the police saying some nut job is around my kid with a gun at the bus stop. Regardless if you are right or wrong, it is a headache that I don't think anyone really wants. I think discretion is the better part of valor in this one. Out of sight out of mind for those who don't know.

I would request a meeting with the principal or whoever is in the food chain. Explain to him/her conversation and ask him directly what the exact problem is. Dancing around the issue is pointless. Base your decision on carrying after that.

If he says there will be no bus service if you OC then it is up to you to take the issue further. Personaly I would. This is another example of where someone wants to change your behaviour because of their own set of personal values.

I hate the slippery slop arguements but what if they asked someone to not be wearing a certain religous or politcal message on thier shirts or have signs up in the yard that some may deem offensive.

My 2 cents and if it was already mentioned disregard...I didn't have time to read all 6 pages.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Just conceal it. At least i would. It would avoid the mess that could possibly.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with those who suggest you do as the teacher says.
    You are on your own property, DOING NOTHING ILLEGAL.
    The teacher should mind her own business and stick to teaching. They are getting as bad as doctors nowadays, putting their noses where they DO NOT BELONG.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by RemMod597; September 18th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In terms of threat analysis, you're probably at a greater risk of a shark attack in Wi than the proposed scenario...not even going to touch the notion of getting into a shoot out on board a bus full of kids....
    . In 1998 people let GFSZ and the so called Assault Weapons Ban lull them into a false sense of security. I remember my dad contemplating retirement from the school district after the Columbine shooting. In a moment of clarity he told me that banning high capacity magazines did nothing to stop two criminals from killing people and admitted to being much safer in the 50s and 60s when his father dropped them off at school with his 1911 tucked under his leg. Once you let it down once, youre bound to get lazy. Now, what if it actually happens and im not armed or cant get to it fast enough? All the wishing in the world wont undo the damage.
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    . In 1998 people let GFSZ and the so called Assault Weapons Ban lull them into a false sense of security. I remember my dad contemplating retirement from the school district after the Columbine shooting. In a moment of clarity he told me that banning high capacity magazines did nothing to stop two criminals from killing people and admitted to being much safer in the 50s and 60s when his father dropped them off at school with his 1911 tucked under his leg. Once you let it down once, youre bound to get lazy. Now, what if it actually happens and im not armed or cant get to it fast enough? All the wishing in the world wont undo the damage.
    I'm with you 110% on the issue of gun free zones. That, however is a long way from your original post, which addressed a specific situation.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links