got asked to conceal at my own home... - Page 7

got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there alternative programs you could enroll her in? I believe, very early in the thread that you've answered your own question. This is a ...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Are there alternative programs you could enroll her in? I believe, very early in the thread that you've answered your own question. This is a program you NEED, presumably so you are free to work and provide for your family. Are you prepared for the repercussions if you decide to take this head on? If they pull the plug on her attendance? I understand standing up for your rights...but occasionally self preservation should play a part in your decision; especially if you are not the only one effected by the road you take. Only you can make the call here. Just my .02.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    . In 1998 people let GFSZ and the so called Assault Weapons Ban lull them into a false sense of security. I remember my dad contemplating retirement from the school district after the Columbine shooting. In a moment of clarity he told me that banning high capacity magazines did nothing to stop two criminals from killing people and admitted to being much safer in the 50s and 60s when his father dropped them off at school with his 1911 tucked under his leg. Once you let it down once, youre bound to get lazy. Now, what if it actually happens and im not armed or cant get to it fast enough? All the wishing in the world wont undo the damage.
    Well it looks like I get to use it after all...

What if grass hoppers have machine guns?

You can what if anything you want...

If you feel that the risk is that big of a risk of an armed bad guy hiding out on the head start bus.....well I don't know what to tell you, just remeber what I said about comments being made in the public forum being publicly available. If you want to further anyone's arument that you may not me mentally stable....you're off to a good start for looking paranoid.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

It really depends on how much you need the free ride to school if they are able to stop transportation. Is this free ride necessary or is it a convenience? Why was she on a home visit to begin with? I would give a lawyer a call. You can get a free consultation for just about anything. I am not even sure you can open carry at a buss stop. Giving up your legal right to be armed for a convenience is not real smart. People give up their rights everyday because " it is easier ". Pretty soon we won't have any rights at all.

In ohio we can Open Carry so you don't have to stay on your own property if you are in a state that has open carry. I see no reason why your child can't get off somewhere else and you can watch them walk to your drive. There is another solution. Don't put your child in head start. There is nothing taught in head start that a parent can't teach at home. As far as being around other children a nice sunday school at church lets children interact with each other and learn the skills they would learn in head start.
    Last edited by minimalbrat; September 19th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Feel better?

In all seriousness, I agree with your point. It should be sufficient to carry concealed, even if there was a head start bus hijacking. That extra 200 milliseconds to clear and draw to fire into a bus full of kids to stop someone? The likelihood of the hijacking happening in the first place is so remote as to be ridiculous, but if it did happen, even a professional police or military sniper wouldn't take that shot. At that point, it's the negotiators that come out, not Mr. Springfield.

Just grab a t-shirt for the five minutes you wait for the bus.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Wild crazy paranoid ideas and "the chances of that happening is (fill in the blank here) has ZERO relevance how someone wants to carry as long as it is legal and IMO they do it safely.

There was a multiple murder in a small NH town. There had not been a murder in the area for decades. What were the odds of that? Arguments like the chances of that happening are so remote are what the Brady Bunch uses when they tell folks they don't need to carry because of this or that stat.

It is no ones business to change ones lifestyle because of the personnel philosophy of another. This is happening on this mans PROPERTY. It is not like he is walking his girl a mile down the road antagonizing people.

Hardly anyone here even brought up the idea of talking directly to those involved to find out exactly what the management feels. No, the first knee jerk instinct was for everyon to tell the OP to cover up because some lady paid a visit to his house.

That is cowardly. Just be an adult and broach the subject. Or at lest try.

I can not fathom how people felt it was better to cover up instead of talking first.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Hardly anyone here even brought up the idea of talking directly to those involved to find out exactly what the management feels.
    Oh oh oh, Mr. Kotter. I did in Post #48.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    Oh oh oh, Mr. Kotter. I did in Post #48.
    I said hardly....I will put your comments in my annotated bibiliography
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

You can what if anything you want...

If you feel that the risk is that big of a risk of an armed bad guy hiding out on the head start bus.....well I don't know what to tell you, just remeber what I said about comments being made in the public forum being publicly available. If you want to further anyone's arument that you may not me mentally stable....you're off to a good start for looking paranoid.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.
    the brady campaign couldn't have said it better...so many of you guys are neither left nor right in your views. it makes me wonder how many of us on dc have really been involved with the struggle for our 2a rights or even know how often they're under attack. even the smallest action can snowball. theyll say, oh he covered it up, so he must not really be serious about his views. that can give them the confidence to come over again and request that my daughter remove my divisional insignia from her jacket because it might offend some jerk who chose welfare over duty.
    Last edited by tricolordad; September 18th, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: stupid bluetooth keyboard

VIP Member
    the brady campaign couldn't have said it better...so many of you guys are neither left nor right in your views. it makes me wonder how many of us on dc have really been involved with the struggle for our 2a rights or even know how often they're under attack.
    I'm fairly certain Brady, Inc's goal is to have you cover up your firearm with fifteen thousand feet of ocean water, not your shirt tail.
    CJM likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD
    Administrator
    the brady campaign couldn't have said it better...so many of you guys are neither left nor right in your views. it makes me wonder how many of us on dc have really been involved with the struggle for our 2a rights or even know how often they're under attack.
    See it how you will, but if want to avoid unfriendly relations with folks that may not like you carrying a gun on a school bus, the best way to fix that is to not display the firearm.

best of luck to you.

tricolordad:

No one so far that I can tell is telling you not to exercise your 2A RKBA. Most however are suggesting that you avoid confrontation when one is not really necessary. Either your children's welfare (being able to take the bus to the headstart school) is most important or your being offended at the thought of having to cover up a firearm on your own property is most important. This is not about the government infringing on your rights as much as it is about a business providing a service to you that happens to require pick up on your property. They would be completely within their rights to deny you the bus pickup if you were to insist on openly carrying when quietly covering it up would allow you to feel safe while allowing the business to feel safe as well (I'm not judging how safe you or they really would be in this situation).

My children's welfare and education is more important to me so in this situation I would swallow my pride and cover up the weapon.
    phreddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Wild crazy paranoid ideas and "the chances of that happening is (fill in the blank here) has ZERO relevance how someone wants to carry as long as it is legal and IMO they do it safely.

There was a multiple murder in a small NH town. There had not been a murder in the area for decades. What were the odds of that? Arguments like the chances of that happening are so remote are what the Brady Bunch uses when they tell folks they don't need to carry because of this or that stat.

It is no ones business to change ones lifestyle because of the personnel philosophy of another. This is happening on this mans PROPERTY. It is not like he is walking his girl a mile down the road antagonizing people.

Hardly anyone here even brought up the idea of talking directly to those involved to find out exactly what the management feels. No, the first knee jerk instinct was for everyon to tell the OP to cover up because some lady paid a visit to his house.

That is cowardly. Just be an adult and broach the subject. Or at lest try.

I can not fathom how people felt it was better to cover up instead of talking first.
    The situation here is different than your example.

1) Nobody's suggesting he NOT carry, not even the visitor. Just conceal for five minutes.

2) This is not the government telling him to do anything, it's a representative of a private facility (maybe with gov funding, but private nonetheless) who is providing him a service they are not required to provide. If it were a rights debate, I would be lining up with the "carry anyway, and make your voice heard!" crowd.

3) We didn't bring up the example that is so far out as to be paranoid, he did. And the idea that if a head start bus DID get hijacked, they would continue on their pickup route pushes it that much farther out there.

The general idea is that if he continues carrying, the bus driver (who has probably been notified to watch) will report the action to the administration. Then the administration will either cancel bus service, making OP transport his child himself, OR will remove the child from the rolls entirely. Nobody's saying he's wrong about being upset, but if he continues to push this matter there might be consequences that will affect him personally that he may not be prepared to deal with. And by making a stand here, he will probably accomplish nothing anyway.

OTOH, if he is prepared to deal with the consequences, then please, fight the good fight. Just don't be surprised if it blows up in his face.
    JD, Adrenaline, phreddy and 1 others like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

it is not displayed, nor is it used to shock people. i am comfortable in a certain style and fit of clothing and see no reason to spennd hundreds on new clothes for a feel-good solution that will no longer be good enough for those who object to OC once it is eliminated. give an inch, they take a mile. i thought we learned that in 1934.

Distinguished Member
    Hundreds on new clothes? A $10 pull over is all you need.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

it is not displayed, nor is it used to shock people. i am comfortable in a certain style and fit of clothing and see no reason to spennd hundreds on new clothes for a feel-good solution that will no longer be good enough for those who object to OC once it is eliminated. give an inch, they take a mile. i thought we learned that in 1934.
    Come on, this is a private entity providing you a service. If you don't want the service by all means stand your ground but I would suggest you do not come here crying woe is me. I don't believe you will find too many sympathetic ears.

Don't give an inch, drive your kid miles.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links