got asked to conceal at my own home... - Page 8

got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tricolordad it is not displayed, nor is it used to shock people. i am comfortable in a certain style and fit of ...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    it is not displayed, nor is it used to shock people. i am comfortable in a certain style and fit of clothing and see no reason to spennd hundreds on new clothes for a feel-good solution that will no longer be good enough for those who object to OC once it is eliminated. give an inch, they take a mile. i thought we learned that in 1934.
    It would seem that you have made up your mind. Good luck with that. If this was a genuine violation of your rights I would be on board with you, but to be honest I think you are being a bit silly here....
    Adrenaline, phreddy and CJM like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    I think JD was right; you really don't want this in the public domain any more than it already is. I'd determine your course one way or the other and let off this thread. I'm just sayin....
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well it looks like I get to use it after all...

What if grass hoppers have machine guns?

You can what if anything you want...

If you feel that the risk is that big of a risk of an armed bad guy hiding out on the head start bus.....well I don't know what to tell you, just remeber what I said about comments being made in the public forum being publicly available. If you want to further anyone's arument that you may not me mentally stable....you're off to a good start for looking paranoid.
    We all carry for the "What if" situations, do we not? His specific example may have been a little off the wall, but the point remains. You say he's making a great case for looking paranoid. That's a curious statement coming from someone on a forum that is filled with members that would be considered paranoid by a pretty sizeable percentage of the american population.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    To the OP, it is your home do what you would like. However, using a little tack might be well advised. If you do choose not to cover it up, you will be labeled the gun nut, and I wouldnt doubt is some sort of notation goes into your kids file. This is the time to play it safe....
    What is to say that that notation isn't already in the file?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    it is not displayed, nor is it used to shock people. i am comfortable in a certain style and fit of clothing and see no reason to spennd hundreds on new clothes for a feel-good solution that will no longer be good enough for those who object to OC once it is eliminated. give an inch, they take a mile. i thought we learned that in 1934.
    This doesn't sound like you were "conflicted as to what to do". Is it input or approval your looking for?
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    We all carry for the "What if" situations, do we not? His specific example may have been a little off the wall, but the point remains. You say he's making a great case for looking paranoid. That's a curious statement coming from someone on a forum that is filled with members that would be considered paranoid by a pretty sizeable percentage of the american population.
    A little? The OP claims that a cover garment will be the the line between life and death but he's up to par to get into a gun fight on a school bus?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you?

Here's the thing. Nobody has told him to leave it in the house. All he needs is a T-Shirt or jacket over the grip for less than five minutes so the bus driver doesn't flip out. Even if the ninja attack force comes flooding out of the bus at his stop, he's still armed.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    Come on, this is a private entity providing you a service. If you don't want the service by all means stand your ground but I would suggest you do not come here crying woe is me. I don't believe you will find too many sympathetic ears.

Don't give an inch, drive your kid miles.
    Check out his original post, and then all his other posts on here. The last thing OP is doing is crying "woe is me". He presented his situation, and asked what others think. This is a forum after all, where members of the forum have discussions. Nobody's asking anybody to agree with anybody. But if you think that somebody shouldn't be providing a topic discussion on a forum, you might want to remember what the whole point of this website is.

Check out his original post, and then all his other posts on here. The last thing OP is doing is crying "woe is me". He presented his situation, and asked what others think. This is a forum after all, where members of the forum have discussions. Nobody's asking anybody to agree with anybody. But if you think that somebody shouldn't be providing a topic discussion on a forum, you might want to remember what the whole point of this website is.
    I gotta stand here with you on this one. If you don't agree with the position (like me), you still don't have the grounds to complain that he voiced it. After all, if we all agreed on everything, this would be a really boring forum...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you?

Here's the thing. Nobody has told him to leave it in the house. All he needs is a T-Shirt or jacket over the grip for less than five minutes so the bus driver doesn't flip out. Even if the ninja attack force comes flooding out of the bus at his stop, he's still armed.
    How about the school taking five minutes to educate the bus driver while we are at it. I see where improvement can be made on both sides of this issue.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    Come on, this is a private entity providing you a service. If you don't want the service by all means stand your ground but I would suggest you do not come here crying woe is me if the school denies your child transportation. I don't believe you will find too many sympathetic ears.

Don't give an inch, drive your kid miles.
    Allow me to correct the post (see bold above).

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How about the school taking five minutes to educate the bus driver while we are at it. I see where improvement can be made on both sides of this issue.

Michael
    I agree... and if it were a public K-12 school, I'd be all over it and urging him to talk to the school administration, the mayor, and the county commissioners. But it's not a public school, and they could very well punt the daughter because it's less hassle than dealing with one of us "gun nuts".

It's a risk/benefit thing. And frankly, if he wants to take the risk for the perceived benefit, I'm behind him all the way. I just don't think OP is acknowledging the risk part of the equation yet.
    phreddy likes this.

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    A little? The OP claims that a cover garment will be the the line between life and death but he's up to par to get into a gun fight on a school bus?
    It may very well end up being the line between life and death. There is no template for exactly how bad situations go, and its not beyond the scope of reason to suggest that a split second will make all the difference. Heck, even if someone is armed, there's no guarantee that they'll even have the time to draw their weapon if SHTF. One cannot deny that it is indeed much easier to draw a weapon from an Open Carry holster than a concealed. Maybe the time isn't the issue. A weapon can get caught on covering garments and delay the draw, or clothing can get caught on the gun when trying to move the clothes out of the way, thus prolonging the time it takes to draw his weapon and defend himself/others. This is the reason he prefers to open carry. Speed of drawing, nothing to get in the way.

Its also not wrong for someone to play out situations in their mind and be prepared for anything that may happen. Perhaps the guy in front of you in line at the grocery store isn't going to suddenly pull a weapon and try to rob the cashier, perhaps the guy walking past you at the gas station isn't going to try and rob you, and perhaps there will never be some crazy on a school bus, but we should always be expecting the unexpected, prepare for the unlikely. Some people call it paranoia. Some just call it being prepared and ready.

JD
    Administrator
    It may very well end up being the line between life and death. There is no template for exactly how bad situations go, and its not beyond the scope of reason to suggest that a split second will make all the difference. Heck, even if someone is armed, there's no guarantee that they'll even have the time to draw their weapon if SHTF. One cannot deny that it is indeed much easier to draw a weapon from an Open Carry holster than a concealed. Maybe the time isn't the issue. A weapon can get caught on covering garments and delay the draw, or clothing can get caught on the gun when trying to move the clothes out of the way, thus prolonging the time it takes to draw his weapon and defend himself/others. This is the reason he prefers to open carry. Speed of drawing, nothing to get in the way.

Its also not wrong for someone to play out situations in their mind and be prepared for anything that may happen. Perhaps the guy in front of you in line at the grocery store isn't going to suddenly pull a weapon and try to rob the cashier, perhaps the guy walking past you at the gas station isn't going to try and rob you, and perhaps there will never be some crazy on a school bus, but we should always be expecting the unexpected, prepare for the unlikely. Some people call it paranoia. Some just call it being prepared and ready.
    I agree whole heartedly, but when that planning starts causing issues in real life, it's time to reevaluate.

If you look at the OPs other threads, the last thing he needs is more drama in his life.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links