got asked to conceal at my own home...

got asked to conceal at my own home...

This is a discussion on got asked to conceal at my own home... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today my daughters head start teacher came for a home visit, and right before leaving, she asked me to cover up my handgun when the ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: got asked to conceal at my own home...

Unhappy got asked to conceal at my own home...

Today my daughters head start teacher came for a home visit, and right before leaving, she asked me to cover up my handgun when the bus dropped off my kid. I hadn't even thought of it, I put on my clothes the same way each day. I'm conflicted as to what to do. On one hand, I'm in private property, on the other, they could refuse bus service which I need. What do you guys think?

I have my CCL, and on private property it isn't required to conceal. OC is constitutional here as well.

How can they refuse bus service when you are completely legal and, just exercising a right guaranteed by the bill of rights? I'd check it out further because I would want to know under what premise they feel they can deny me that right...

Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    How can they refuse bus service when you are completely legal and, just exercising a right guaranteed by the bill of rights? I'd check it out further because I would want to know under what premise they feel they can deny me that right...
    Probably the same way the schools think they can discipline kids who act up at a bus stop. In the winter time back home, suspensions were issued dor snowball fights. Not saying I agree with it though.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'd tell her to pound salt, and mention such words as Constitutional rights, the Legal Aid Society and a law suit! But I would do it in a non-confrontational and non-threatening way with a big smile on your face that makes you look psychotic.

Put your kid first.... conceal it.... my .02 cents.

There are times and places to make your stand, to me ... this wouldn't be one of them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Could be worse - she could have freaked out and reported you to to the Nanny State Police and CPS.

I agree with Eagle - I think this is one of those times when discretion is the better part of valor. Cover up when the bus shows up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Start a log documenting the encounter and the request. Include the date, time of day, purpose of the visit, and exactly what was said to you as nearly as you can remember it. Also list any others who were witness to the conversation. Record the date when you made the log entry, and then ignore the request. Do as you please as long as it's legal. Your rights have not as yet been violated so there is nothing to complain about, yet. If and when they violate your rights by actually denying you service, you will have a stronger case. Hopefully there won't be. For now, the ball is in their court.
    ericb327 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm trying to see the upside of displaying a firearm to a bus load of my kid's classmates every day, and am coming up blank.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I have to ditto Mike1956.....is there really a need to OC in front of a bunch of kids on a school bus? Only caveat would be if you were in uniform that necessitated the OC of a weapon.
    Illusive Man, Dutch1951 and CJM like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I don't think a bus load of head start kids are gonna care, or probably even notice, that you are OC. I wouldn't exactly call it displaying, either. So I wouldn't worry about any "do it for the kids" line of thinking. The only reason I would conceal in this situation is if they truly can/will refuse the bus service because of it. I OC on my own property all the time, and I'll be damned if anybody tries to tell me how I should be carrying at my own home.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I don't think a bus load of head start kids are gonna care, or probably even notice, that you are OC. I wouldn't exactly call it displaying, either. So I wouldn't worry about any "do it for the kids" line of thinking. The only reason I would conceal in this situation is if they truly can/will refuse the bus service because of it. I OC on my own property all the time, and I'll be damned if anybody tries to tell me how I should be carrying at my own home.
    So, carry however you want, in spite of any potential consequences for those who rely upon you for their well-being.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Whoa, don't be so quick to assume that! Kids are pretty damn observant, soaking up much more that us "grown-ups" realize. Unless you live in the hood, in imminent fear of your life, there really is not a true reason to OC at the school bus stop. Let the kids be kids and like you, not fear you as "the guy with the gun".
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    So, carry however you want, in spite of any potential consequences for those who rely upon you for their well-being.
    If you read what I posted, I specifically said that I would only conceal if they truly can/will refuse the bus service. I wouldn't if the only consequence is kids saw a safely holstered and responsibly carried weapon.
    carracer and BigStick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Whoa, don't be so quick to assume that! Kids are pretty damn observant, soaking up much more that us "grown-ups" realize. Unless you live in the hood, in imminent fear of your life, there really is not a true reason to OC at the school bus stop. Let the kids be kids and like you, not fear you as "the guy with the gun".
    From my experience with little kids, they're gonna be more preoccupied with socializing on the bus. They won't exactly be faces smashed against windows with eyes glued at every kids daddy that comes to pick them up. So many of them probably wont notice at all.

There's plenty of "true reason"s to OC anywhere. For instance, its a lot easier for me to slip on my paddle holster when I'm walking around my house/yard then strap on a CC holster. Its also a lot easier to draw from an OC holster if the need should arise. In this case, the OP is talking about carrying in his private property - so its safe to assume that the bus is dropping his daughter off at his house. In which case, being his property is enough reason to carry at this bus stop.

Lastly, unless you're presenting yourself in such a manner, there's no reason anybody should fear you at all - carrying or not.
    Last edited by pittypat21; September 18th, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Additional remarks
    sigmanluke likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    OK, what exactly are those potential consequences you are considering? Also, someone asked about the upside of the kids seeing OC. How about if they learn that some people legally carry and its no big thing? Gee, I saw a man with a gun and nobody got shot!

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links