This is how I explain it.

This is a discussion on This is how I explain it. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're hot in the middle of election season and sooner or later the conversation turns to 2A rights and gun control. I have one simple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: This is how I explain it.

  1. #1
    Member Array shooterready's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Portland, Maine
    Posts
    18

    This is how I explain it.

    We're hot in the middle of election season and sooner or later the conversation turns to 2A rights and gun control. I have one simple way to express my opinion. Here's the scenario I give;

    How would you feel if you left your polling place and were met with protesters telling you that you shouldn't be voting. Strangers telling you that you probably aren't smart enough to pick the best candidate and you should leave those choices up to more qualified people who would make the best decisions for everyone.

    Not one single person would agree that we should have restrictions on voting.

    So why does anyone want to have restrictions on my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

    It's in The Bill of Rights. This is the second amendment to the Constitution. Who are you to take that from me?

    Can anyone (reasonably) argue with that logic?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,189
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterready View Post
    We're hot in the middle of election season and sooner or later the conversation turns to 2A rights and gun control. I have one simple way to express my opinion. Here's the scenario I give;

    How would you feel if you left your polling place and were met with protesters telling you that you shouldn't be voting. Strangers telling you that you probably aren't smart enough to pick the best candidate and you should leave those choices up to more qualified people who would make the best decisions for everyone.

    Not one single person would agree that we should have restrictions on voting.

    So why does anyone want to have restrictions on my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

    It's in The Bill of Rights. This is the second amendment to the Constitution. Who are you to take that from me?

    Can anyone (reasonably) argue with that logic?

    I'd try...I think... but I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

  4. #3
    Member Array shooterready's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Portland, Maine
    Posts
    18
    Just saying how I explain things when the conversation turns to taking away 2A rights.

  5. #4
    Member Array Dutch1951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    50
    Cold dead hands.......

  6. #5
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    I got in before this goes political.....
    tcox4freedom likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Im gonna use that!

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,143
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterready View Post
    We're hot in the middle of election season and sooner or later the conversation turns to 2A rights and gun control. I have one simple way to express my opinion. Here's the scenario I give;

    How would you feel if you left your polling place and were met with protesters telling you that you shouldn't be voting. Strangers telling you that you probably aren't smart enough to pick the best candidate and you should leave those choices up to more qualified people who would make the best decisions for everyone.

    Not one single person would agree that we should have restrictions on voting.

    So why does anyone want to have restrictions on my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

    It's in The Bill of Rights. This is the second amendment to the Constitution. Who are you to take that from me?

    Can anyone (reasonably) argue with that logic?
    Since the right to vote, unlike the right to bear arms is never mentioned in the Bill of Rights, you are comparing apples to oranges in your argument. The right to bear arms was regarded as inherent by the framers of the Constitution. The right to vote was not.
    FreeFalling likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Since the right to vote, unlike the right to bear arms is never mentioned in the Bill of Rights, you are comparing apples to oranges in your argument. The right to bear arms was regarded as inherent by the framers of the Constitution. The right to vote was not.
    Apples to oranges, maybe, but I think his point is using a freedom that everybody enjoys and trying to make them understand how they'd feel if that was taken away.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  10. #9
    Member Array shooterready's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Portland, Maine
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Since the right to vote, unlike the right to bear arms is never mentioned in the Bill of Rights, you are comparing apples to oranges in your argument. The right to bear arms was regarded as inherent by the framers of the Constitution. The right to vote was not.
    My point being.... No one would dare argue with voting even though it's not specifically singled out in the Bill of Rights, but no one has an issue with restricting a Right that is identified.

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,143
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterready View Post
    My point being.... No one would dare argue with voting even though it's not specifically singled out in the Bill of Rights, but no one has an issue with restricting a Right that is identified.
    People will dare to argue anything you care to bring up. Voting rights have been argued extensively throughout our nation's history, from the time when only adult white male property owners above the age of majority were allowed to vote, to where we are today.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,153
    Some (including myself, depending on my mood) would still argue that voting should have restrictions, so I'm not sure if comparing the 2A to voting is the right path to walk down.

    I would just stick with the fact that the 2A was foundational in our country's inception and was included in the Bill of Rights to protect our natural rights, not provide them, and the historical context favors personal gun ownership for self protection (against the government) without enumerated limitations. Therefore, any limitations that are proposed must not hinder a civilian's right to reasonably (a spork is not a valid defensive weapon, for instance) protect themselves from said government should such a need arise.

    You can move on to why or how a person might need to defend themselves against the government if it moves in that direction, but that's the purpose of the amendment.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

    “The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,448
    I've yet to find a "silver bullet" argument for anything.

    Many are immune to logic and facts. We truly are a nation that is ruled by minority opinion that has captured our legislators. Arguing with them only throws pearls before swine.

    Regaining control of our government is the only solution that I see.
    BurgerBoy and tcox4freedom like this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  14. #13
    Member Array Ionracas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    459
    I look at it more like this, the antis have a right to exercise their freedom of speech given to them by the same people and doccument that gives me the right to bear arms. They want to take our rights by exercising theirs. Its irony at its finest.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,141
    Never make the mistake of trying to use logic with an anti. It doesn't work. You'd stand a better chance of turning their own argument around on them. "I carry for the children, to be able to keep them safe from the bad people of the world".
    Caertaker and tcox4freedom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,143
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Never make the mistake of trying to use logic with an anti. It doesn't work. You'd stand a better chance of turning their own argument around on them. "I carry for the children, to be able to keep them safe from the bad people of the world".
    Logic is fine, so long as it is sound.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

defensivecarry election

,
don't waste your time trying to teach a pig to sing (with picture)...
,
scenario explaining amendments 11-27
Click on a term to search for related topics.