new to OC and have a question

This is a discussion on new to OC and have a question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i live in NC and have been told that i can open carry as long as there isn't a no weapons sign on the door. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ericb327
  • 4 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: new to OC and have a question

i live in NC and have been told that i can open carry as long as there isn't a no weapons sign on the door. is that true, and what are the stipulations?

VIP Member
    Don't have specific knowledge of NC OC laws, however if you check this link, you should be able to find the info your looking for.

OpenCarry.org |
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daltonc View Post
    i live in NC and have been told that i can open carry as long as there isn't a no weapons sign on the door. is that true, and what are the stipulations?
    Please don't take anyone's word for it here. You should contact your authorities on your own. After all, you'll be the one going to jail if they're wrong. Start with your states criminal statutes or the state police.
    limatunes likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd say go with the state statutes first as many LEOs aren't aware of all the laws. After all, there're a lot of laws. Most "authorities" only know what they've been "told." Any word of mouth in reference to "legal" from other than a really good lawyer is questionable to me until I see the statute in black & white. It's interesting to actually read them and see just how ignorant many of those who should know are, instructors, LEOs alike.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There are no state statutes in NC that forbid open carry. That being said there are some cities and towns that have local ordinances that prohibit open carry on public property in their jurisdiction. As to the stipulations, you have to be old enough to have a handgun in your possession, and you can not use it as a threat in anyway. You should know the laws of NC and their statutes on the use of deadly force and also their firearms laws on where you can and can't carry open.

I'd say the biggest stipulation on open carry is that you present yourself in a good manor and be able to react to non tactful questions in a tactful manor. As an open carrier, you are placing yourself in the role of ambassador for gun owners whether you intended to do that or not. Remember that what ever you impart to a non gun person will have a direct affect on how they perceive ALL gun owners.

I always try to remember that during an encounter with a non gun person you have two possible outcomes, the first possible outcome is to add support to their belief that guns are bad since they got a terse or defensive answer from you, OR they could believe that maybe there is some good to carrying a firearm because they got an informative, friendly, and polite answer to their questions.

You stand a good chance of winning a new range buddy if you promote gun ownership in a polite and educational way and that's a win in everyone's book.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

That's kind of an open ended and very broad question there. I used to have a simple answer but that kind of changed last year. You can OC most places you can CC EXCEPT state parks and some of the city/county parks. Conversely, you pretty much cannot OC anywhere you cannot CC.

Now, you need to figure out where those places are and know them.

Here is the NC OC flyer that was developed over at the NC page of OCDO. It's worth a look and will point you to some of the statutes about where you cannot carry. It was revised in August of this year.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Sb...cm8/edit?pli=1

And the NC OCDO page.

North Carolina

If you want to look at the actual statutes, and you should, you can find them here. Most of the firearms laws are in Chapter 14-criminal law. But some are also in the city and county areas.

North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes Table of Contents

If you want to look for local ordinances try here on the NC page.

ClientListView - Municipal Code Corporation

I have not heard of any additional restrictions on OC in place in the Statesville area. However, it's your time and money so it's your responsibility to be sure. FWIW, I've been OC'ing around the Hickory area for a few years with no issues.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    There are no state statutes in NC that forbid open carry. That being said there are some cities and towns that have local ordinances that prohibit open carry on public property in their jurisdiction. As to the stipulations, you have to be old enough to have a handgun in your possession, and you can not use it as a threat in anyway. You should know the laws of NC and their statutes on the use of deadly force and also their firearms laws on where you can and can't carry open.

I'd say the biggest stipulation on open carry is that you present yourself in a good manor and be able to react to non tactful questions in a tactful manor. As an open carrier, you are placing yourself in the role of ambassador for gun owners whether you intended to do that or not. Remember that what ever you impart to a non gun person will have a direct affect on how they perceive ALL gun owners.

I always try to remember that during an encounter with a non gun person you have two possible outcomes, the first possible outcome is to add support to their belief that guns are bad since they got a terse or defensive answer from you, OR they could believe that maybe there is some good to carrying a firearm because they got an informative, friendly, and polite answer to their questions.

You stand a good chance of winning a new range buddy if you promote gun ownership in a polite and educational way and that's a win in everyone's book.
    One of the best posts I've ever read. Well said.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Terrific post. I couldn't agree more.

I also live in N.C. but do not open carry even tho it is legal. Folks in the area where I live (Triad area) would probably get all hyper and spaz out if they saw someone OC. There are tho a couple of places where I get gas that I will uncover my weapon at the pumps.
    "A man has got to know his limitations"
    Harry Callahan
    "Talk soft carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevel
    I Cor. 10:13 "KJV 1611"

Links