First Time for a traffic stop while carrying

This is a discussion on First Time for a traffic stop while carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, today I got stopped for speeding. I was going to grand-daughter's soccer game and was running late and didn't see the squad near the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: First Time for a traffic stop while carrying

Well, today I got stopped for speeding. I was going to grand-daughter's soccer game and was running late and didn't see the squad near the soccer field.

As I pulled in the parking lot he came behind me and lit me up. Pulled in a parking space and got out of the car (first mistake). He told me to get back in the car, as I was doing that I told him I had a concealed carry permit and had a gun. He asked me where it was and I told him on my left hip.

He had me get in the car and checked my license and permit, then asked for registration and proof of insurance. As we waited for information to come back he asked me if he could ask me a question and I didn't have to answer if I chose not to.

He asked me if the instructors of my permit class were the ones that told me to tell an officer right away that I had a permit and that I had a gun. I told him yes and that some police officers I knew also told me the same thing. He also inquired what kind of gun I was carrying. (I think he was just curious about that, think I was his first concealed stop).

The info came back stating that there was nothing outstanding.

He thanked me for telling him up front that I had the concealed permit and that I had a gun, told me to drive a little slower and to have a nice day and he left.

I had been told by some cops I know that a lot of times if you are up front with telling them about the gun right away they might not give you a ticket and that's exactly what happened.

I lock up my gun in gun safe under seat when I'm at these games but I didn't get a chance to do that because he had pulled me over pulling into the lot.

So all in all it wasn't a bad experience.
    GH likes this.

You can't bank on a free ride for being up front about the CCW and the weapon, but it's nice when it works out that way. Other than exiting the car when you parked it, you handled the rest well. Good show.
    SmokinFool and bombthrower77 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah I try my hardest not to commit any driving infractions while cc'ing cause I just don't want to deal with any of it. Glad it all worked out.
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Good deal. Better to be vocal right away than have any issues.
    curly666 likes this.

All in all a good experience. Glad it worked out.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Sounds as if you happened chanced upon one of the nice officers in the Milwaukee area.... Lucky you.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Sounds as if you happened chanced upon one of the nice officers in the Milwaukee area.... Lucky you.......
    Actually, it was one of our communities to the north, not so sure how our Milwaukee officers would have handled it.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good outcome. Of course it would have been a non-issue if you'd of kept your speed donw.
    CanuckQue likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There's so much difference of opinion of whether informing of a firearm (or even to inform where not required) gets one out of ticket, but I think the driver's attitude probably have more to do with it.

Glad it worked out to your benefit. Next time, leave a little earlier.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There's so much difference of opinion of whether informing of a firearm (or even to inform where not required) gets one out of ticket, but I think the driver's attitude probably have more to do with it.

Glad it worked out to your benefit. Next time, leave a little earlier.
    You're right, I think it has a lot to do with attitude, it's funny, I'm usually always way early for everything. This time things were going on and I lost track of time and forgot about the construction going on in that area. Won't forget next time. Yes I know there are a lot of opinions going both ways on this subject but the cop seemed to have a good attitude also so I didn't push things, don't like making a bad situation more painful than it is.

These officers are out there every day putting their lifes on the line, a lot of them get killed doing "routine traffic stops" so I think they really appreciate a "heads up" about the gun right away, just my opinion and I know a lot of people don't agree but that's the way I deal with it.

GH
    curly666 - That didn't happen to be in Cedarburg, did it? I passed through that town yesterday & saw a squad light someone up & I was pretty sure it was a soccer field.

I've found that Cedarburg POs are nice as a rule. When I was doing armed security in Grafton & was way early I'd stop at a park there to drink my coffee. Many times there'd be an officer there, usually on Saturdays & we'd chat & talk guns. Same as Grafton. I often stopped at the park on highway 60 & the river & chat up officers. Many of them had responded to my calls for assistance in the past & coincidentally one of them, a SGT, was an old Army acquaintance of mine.

How did the soccer game go?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    In Ohio, one will be charged if they do not immediately inform the officer they are carrying. I shudder to think what might very well happen to an armed motorist getting out of the vehicle when stopped.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Sounds OK.....and as long as your legal..........it's legal.

For my safety and theirs, I do not disclose.

You may have gotten a good cop, watch youtube, there are those that freak out.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I got pulled over this summer while carrying. I do not have to inform in PA, so I kept my mouth shut about my gun and took my ticket (I deserved it).

Glad it worked out for you. For me, it was worth the paying the fine and disclosing, since I might have still gotten the ticket anyway.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links