Teletype warning about gun grabbers - Page 2

Teletype warning about gun grabbers

This is a discussion on Teletype warning about gun grabbers within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet I don't think it's safe to assume anyone's going to shove a gun in your face and take your OC firearm. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Teletype warning about gun grabbers

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't think it's safe to assume anyone's going to shove a gun in your face and take your OC firearm. I think it's just as safe to assume they'll steer clear of you.
    I would say even more likely, as most armed criminals are not crazed druggies, but dishonest cowards.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

In my younger days I HAVE had people out to kill me; so especially when headed home I take a couple turns that aren't necessary and watch my rear view mirrors, the road to the subdivision where I am living is lightly traveled and if someone is behind me I go to the second entrance (first is fastest way to my house) and take a roundabout way through the development, if followed I won't go home.

Following the reasoning in the OP, I should not wear the watch my father left me, the ring my wife gave me or ride the bike I bought. Criminals will see what they want to draw attention for what ever reasons they want. I feel I am more likely to be targeted for wearing my watch than because of the gun-most houses in AL probably have a gun anyway. I am with the poster who said that it is actually more likely the OC'rs are targeted in areas where gun control is more stringent.
    TN_Mike likes this.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Talking about situational awareness is all well and good. But in honesty every single post on this forum comes from a human being. Sadly, we humans are creatures with faults. We may get absorbed in advice Dave Ramsey is giving on the radio. We may get into a heated cell phone conversation with a friend about whether the 23 Yankees or 48 Dodgers had a better number 3 starting pitcher. We may hear something that sounds like a buffalo under our hood and concentrate on how the car sounds for the rest of the ride home while we try to figure out what the problem is.

If we were always perfectly aware there'd really be no reason to carry a weapon. We'd be able to avoid every bad situation and never have to worry about it. I know that I may become distracted, so I carry a pistol. I appreciate seeing things that give me reason to pause and consider something else that could go wrong in life. This is a great example. Sure, there are other ways a criminal could attack, but this is one I hadn't personally thought about.
    I agree completely. Situation awareness is a great tool. But it doesn't fix everything. I try to be as aware as possible. If you're 110% aware at every single waking moment, you're not living life. It's just impossible to be THAT aware and still be able to enjoy being out of the house with your friends and family. There is truth in "things happen when you least expect it". I try to be aware as I can be, but I'm not perfect. Nobody ever will be.

Teletype?? I used to work on teletypes ... model 32, model 33, model 38, a rip roaring 10 cps (110 baud) communications and printing speed, and model 43 that tripled our speeds to a mind warping 30 cps (300 baud) in '77. I guess I just dated myself.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While he and his wife were at work, and the daughter at school, someone buglarized my County Sheriff's home, and got guns plus everything else they could carry. I can't say they are busting more burglars than usual, but I assume the interrogations are more interesting.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't think it's safe to assume anyone's going to shove a gun in your face and take your OC firearm. I think it's just as safe to assume they'll steer clear of you.
    Exactly, both are ridiculous.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Always lock the guns in a safe while when you are not home. Investing in a good safe will pay off. i have many friends and associates that have tens of thousands of dollars in guns but try to cheap out on a safe. I am not trying to hijacked thread but there's my .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Talking about situational awareness is all well and good. But in honesty every single post on this forum comes from a human being. Sadly, we humans are creatures with faults. We may get absorbed in advice Dave Ramsey is giving on the radio. We may get into a heated cell phone conversation with a friend about whether the 23 Yankees or 48 Dodgers had a better number 3 starting pitcher. We may hear something that sounds like a buffalo under our hood and concentrate on how the car sounds for the rest of the ride home while we try to figure out what the problem is.

If we were always perfectly aware there'd really be no reason to carry a weapon. We'd be able to avoid every bad situation and never have to worry about it. I know that I may become distracted, so I carry a pistol. I appreciate seeing things that give me reason to pause and consider something else that could go wrong in life. This is a great example. Sure, there are other ways a criminal could attack, but this is one I hadn't personally thought about.
    Yes, I actually already knew that we here on the forum are Human Beings.

I don't believe there is such a thing as perfectly aware. And I most certainly never insinuated that there is. I carry a weapon as a last resort. That means I am going to use every means at my disposal to avoid using it. Before you dismiss SA as a viable tool I suggest you try it. With practice it becomes natural, allowing a person to do everything they always did except they take notice of things they ignored before.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I agree completely. Situation awareness is a great tool. But it doesn't fix everything. I try to be as aware as possible. If you're 110% aware at every single waking moment, you're not living life. It's just impossible to be THAT aware and still be able to enjoy being out of the house with your friends and family. There is truth in "things happen when you least expect it". I try to be aware as I can be, but I'm not perfect. Nobody ever will be.
    And I agree with you completely. SA is not the final solution. And neither is a gun. It would be like giving a blind person a drivers license and telling them they can drive.

There really isn't such a thing as 110%. If you do more than 100% then you weren't actually doing 100% in the first place. SA isn't about a super heightened awareness where you walk around like a CIA Operative. It's a matter of doing everything you normally do except learning to notice more of what you already observe. If you practice it you will discover it's easier than you might imagine.

Many years ago I found myself in a life and death situation with guns in my face. I was lucky to have survived. I started training so I would never have to rely on luck again. But I discovered something very scary in that training. I viewed myself having a gun and drawing it against the drop they already had on me. I thought that this was the option the gun would give me. And it does...but, the odds of surviving that gun battle weren't good. What I learned in my early training was that through SA I could've identified the threat and got the drop on them. That would've increased my odds of survival greatly!

Through SA I discovered how to avoid life threating situations. Over the years I had two incidents that quite possibly saved my life. One of them I can't say for sure that it did, the other I can. I was in a parking lot in Newport News, VA. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a man with two others in tow behind him. They executed what I had been taught in SA training as the 'fan manuever'. I wasn't carrying a gun and decided to quickly trot to my car, get in and lock it. No sooner than I did and was starting the car he was tapping on my window asking me to roll it down. I ignored him, backed out and drove away. Was it the right thing to do?

The next day there was a crime scene in that very parking lot. A man had been stabbed to death next to his car. His wallet and watch were missing. I gave my description and info to the police. I don't know if they ever caught them.

Here's my point. Even if I would've had a gun, if I had not seen them when I did I could've been killed. I didn't have to change anything I normally do. Because of the SA training I had taken I was able to notice a potential threat and take action to defend myself. That action can be many different things. That very brief moment of having the best chance to defend ourselves can disappear if we don't employ SA. Just having a gun isn't enough.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

This isn't a new thing. This is something that has been a concern forever. As another said, in the state I live in, Tennessee, as in Texas, there are very few houses that do not contain guns. I'm not particularly concerned about this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I remember such a teletype warning, several years ago, so the OP is correct. IIRC, it was ultra-right-wing-nuts that caused the alert to be posted.

Situational awareness is great, but in a small town, anonymity may not be so easy to maintain, so other security measures are necessary.

Or kill two birds by making it more visible to those that will steer clear while at the same time making it so fewer BGs willing to take it at gunpoint will want to do so:

hello-kitty-pink-gun.jpg

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I think the point of watching your 6 is the best piece of advice. I was once targeted and followed home and had my car stolen. It was a hot rod Mustang with loud exhaust and flashy paint (not exactly an inconspicuous ride). I don't know how they did it, I lived in an apartment and the car was parked directly in front of my bedroom window. I came out the next day to a blank parking space. No broken glass, no signs it was ever there. I had no idea until the police caught them and found the car that I was indeed followed home. I bought my first gun after that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links