Teletype warning about gun grabbers

This is a discussion on Teletype warning about gun grabbers within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, don’t mean to stir the pot here and I certainly believe in your right to OC but, there is a new trend that’s ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Teletype warning about gun grabbers

Hi everyone, don’t mean to stir the pot here and I certainly believe in your right to OC but, there is a new trend that’s been uncovered in and around LE circles. It appears criminals, mostly gangs, are using a new tactic to acquire guns. They’re targeting police officers and following them home from work because they know there’s a good chance that there are more guns in the house. When no one is around they, break in and try to steal what they can. Believe me people will notice that handgun on your side and it could potentially bring trouble right to your doorstep. Even if your guns are locked up it’s something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
    Hi everyone, don’t mean to stir the pot here and I certainly believe in your right to OC but, there is a new trend that’s been uncovered in and around LE circles. It appears criminals, mostly gangs, are using a new tactic to acquire guns. They’re targeting police officers and following them home from work because they know there’s a good chance that there are more guns in the house. When no one is around they, break in and try to steal what they can. Believe me people will notice that handgun on your side and it could potentially bring trouble right to your doorstep. Even if your guns are locked up it’s something to think about.
    Can you cite any instances?
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Negative, it came across the teletype as a safety caution a while back. Don’t remember the specifics, just the warning to watch your six on the way home.

GH
    I've thought about the same thing, TAC1. Here I thought I was being paranoid when I was thinking of exercising my right of constitutional carry, legal in my state. I'm sure glad that you brought this up.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
    I always try to maintain a keen sense of SA, which I believe helps in this type of situation. Also, I have a wireless alarm system on my house, and any disruption around the perimeter of the house when I'm not home (or even when I am home) would set off a very loud alarm and more than likely scare off any potential scumbag gun grabber, and would immediately send police to my address.

It may be a potential problem in States that either highly regulate firearm ownership,but in Texas just about any house they might break into probably has at least one gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Someone still uses teletype? I thought it was Tapatalk.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think OC is fine if that is what you want and it is legal, but I don't for these vary reasons. I don't want very one in town to know I have guns in the house.

Criminal have been doing that for forever. The same could be said about not ever wearing camo in public - criminals will think your a hunter, follow you home and then steal your guns. Or, OMG, criminals sit outside the range and follow people home.

I think it's probably safer to assume that if you open carry someone may just shove a gun in your face and take yours - much easier than having to track someone half way across a city and then stage a home invasion. :) Yet, for as much open carrying that goes on, this happens surprisingly little.
    Ogre and pfries like this.

VIP Member
    I don't think it's safe to assume anyone's going to shove a gun in your face and take your OC firearm. I think it's just as safe to assume they'll steer clear of you.
    Ogre, nerdyvirgin and carracer like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I said may, not will. Ie, possibility, not certainty.

Another reason to employ SA if you don't already. IMHO I think that SA is the best SD tool you can use. The best way to get off of the X is to never get on it.

SA in regards to the OP. Do you know which cars belong in the immediate vicinity of your house? Can you do a quick scan to determine which ones don't belong there? If they don't belong there, is there a person or persons just sitting in the car and did you make a mental note of the license plate?

If you practice SA all the time it becomes automatic. Many years ago when I started employing this type of SA I felt like I was being paranoid. But then my power of observation began to increase exponentially and I realized that SA gave me the power to avoid situations that could cause me harm. It's amazing what we fail to take notice of around us. If you ask three witnesses to describe a crime scene they will give you three different versions of sight and sound of the exact scene.
    nerdyvirgin, TN_Mike and carracer like this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Talking about situational awareness is all well and good. But in honesty every single post on this forum comes from a human being. Sadly, we humans are creatures with faults. We may get absorbed in advice Dave Ramsey is giving on the radio. We may get into a heated cell phone conversation with a friend about whether the 23 Yankees or 48 Dodgers had a better number 3 starting pitcher. We may hear something that sounds like a buffalo under our hood and concentrate on how the car sounds for the rest of the ride home while we try to figure out what the problem is.

If we were always perfectly aware there'd really be no reason to carry a weapon. We'd be able to avoid every bad situation and never have to worry about it. I know that I may become distracted, so I carry a pistol. I appreciate seeing things that give me reason to pause and consider something else that could go wrong in life. This is a great example. Sure, there are other ways a criminal could attack, but this is one I hadn't personally thought about.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    Do you know which cars belong in the immediate vicinity of your house? Can you do a quick scan to determine which ones don't belong there? If they don't belong there, is there a person or persons just sitting in the car and did you make a mental note of the license plate?
    Some of my neighbors I do know the vehicles, but as for the trailer trash across the street, their lot is a revolving door of vehicles. I don't even know who actually leaves there as there are so many people coming and going. Oh, did I mention it was once busted as a grow house? (Previous owners.) But it seems most of the homes here with "2-car garages" are more like parking areas. Regardless of the state of the economy, apparently some folks have no problem buying cars.

I dont oc simply because I dont want them to know I have a gun anywhere,home or on me I cc,small at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links