I Wonder if OC'ing a Sawed Off Shotgun Will Get Me Arrested? DOH!

This is a discussion on I Wonder if OC'ing a Sawed Off Shotgun Will Get Me Arrested? DOH! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another one of life's mysteries solved: Man arrested for taking shotgun into market - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports You cannot make this stuff up, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I Wonder if OC'ing a Sawed Off Shotgun Will Get Me Arrested? DOH!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Another one of life's mysteries solved:

Man arrested for taking shotgun into market - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

You cannot make this stuff up, i swear...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Authorities said Carr went into a store near London and walked about with a sawed-off shotgun resting on his shoulder.

Carr was charged with ... carrying a concealed weapon.
    Concealed? Hard to charge concealment if it's openly carried slung over the shoulder in plain view. Particularly in an open carry state.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Charge him with everything and something will stick.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    But deputies found the gun had been cut down to the point that it was an illegal weapon to have. Carr was charged with defacing a firearm and carrying a concealed weapon.
    I too do not see a reason for the concealed charged if it was on his shoulder. And the defacing charge isn’t it a federal charge to cut down the barrel to less than 18 inches?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

ANY shotgun with a barrel cut down to under 18 inches IS Illegal UNLESS you have paperwork stating it's a A O W (Any Other Weapon) and you've paid the appropriate transfer fee, along with the proper NFA tax stamp attached to your paperwork. Personally, I would never carry, or open carry a A O W or a NFA weapon into a market or store.
    To me, it sounds like he was only trying to stir up a problem, but who am I to say what he can or can't do.
    Pistol Grip shotgun, that's one thing. SAWED OFF?? well.........It goes unsaid.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Possibly he had a handgun on his possession when he was stopped?
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

He's probably a mall-ninja and had one hand (concealed) in his pocket. I mean, that's what I have to worry about
    pittypat21 likes this.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

From the article.

"Authorities said Carr went into a store near London and walked about with a sawed-off shotgun resting on his shoulder. Then he got into a truck and left."

I wonder if they got him for concealing it in the car? Regardless, if it's legal to carry a shotgun openly and that's what they stopped him for a good lawyer will get all the rest tossed. Interviewing him at the scene where it is called in is on thing, even if the action is legal. Pulling him over after the fact to talk to him if the action is legal is a very different thing.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Not a whole lot of details in the news story. Something seems a bit "off"! Maybe the guy just isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. Doesn't seem too smart to be walking around in public with an illegal gun resting on your shoulder! Don't know about Kentucky law, but in Ohio he would probably get charged with "inducing panic" if nothing else! Even though Ohio is an open carry state, in metro areas you don't see it--too much hassel from sheep calling the police with man-with-a-gun claims!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Maybe the dumb reporter said concealed, but meant illegal, or thought it meant the same thing, lol....
    JDE101 and mprp like this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Maybe the dumb reporter said concealed, but meant illegal, or thought it meant the same thing, lol....
    I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

VIP Member
    Keep in mind many states have a particular statute dealing with weapons that are modified so that may be what he was charged under. Overall length if I remember right has to be 26 inches no matter what the barrel length so he may have modified it in other ways hence the defacing a firearm. Generally speaking a statute of that type is used when the serial number is removed.

As far as him leaving then being stopped. Just because LE is called and they do not get there in time to find the suspect still on the scene it does not mean they stop looking. If the call came in and the officers did not arrive in time I can bet, just guessing here, that more than one person noticed him and got a description that they gave to the responding officers. At that point they were completely within there authority to locate him and question him about the matter.

The article was kind of vague and not knowing the laws in Kentucky it may be that he had another weapon concealed or he may have concealed the shotgun in his vehicle, don't know if that is illegal in Kentucky or not.

If in fact he was in possession of a true illegal sawed off shotgun and took it into a grocery store he is my top pick for this years Darwin award.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Keep in mind many states have a particular statute dealing with weapons that are modified so that may be what he was charged under. Overall length if I remember right has to be 26 inches no matter what the barrel length so he may have modified it in other ways hence the defacing a firearm. Generally speaking a statute of that type is used when the serial number is removed.

As far as him leaving then being stopped. Just because LE is called and they do not get there in time to find the suspect still on the scene it does not mean they stop looking. If the call came in and the officers did not arrive in time I can bet, just guessing here, that more than one person noticed him and got a description that they gave to the responding officers. At that point they were completely within there authority to locate him and question him about the matter.

The article was kind of vague and not knowing the laws in Kentucky it may be that he had another weapon concealed or he may have concealed the shotgun in his vehicle, don't know if that is illegal in Kentucky or not.

If in fact he was in possession of a true illegal sawed off shotgun and took it into a grocery store he is my top pick for this years Darwin award.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I whole heartedly agree with what Tacman said above
    BTW I just checked and Kentucky IS a State where it's legal to own AOW, MGs, Supressors, DDs, and the like.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

i have OC'd SBR here in Kentucky. i was walking my dog and just wanted to piss off liberal neighbor. and it didn't take long til cops stopped me. I just showed them the tax stamp and they said have a nice day. if he had gun registered as SBS/AOW and had tax stamp he would be fine
    CLASS3NH, Eagleks and Rawah like this.

Depends .... seems a lot of "jumping to conclusions" .... there are places here, where that would be legal..... as there is no laws in some areas against openly carrying a long gun or shot gun anywhere.

A friend of a friend of mine, and we, were talking .... at a gunshow. We were talking about the two shotguns he and I had boughten recently and he wanted to see them. So, we dropped by his business one day with the shotguns and went in to show them to him. Now, the "key" part of this was....... none of the customers got excited, jumping around like crazy people, nor called 911 when we walked in carrying shotguns. The only comment I heard when we walked in was when one customer glanced over and commented " New shotguns ? ".

Granted, this guy seemed to be looking for a reaction and a 911 call, or least he should have expected it given the circumstances of not being in a gun friendly location (like Cinncinnati).
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links