How do you handle traveling? - Page 2

How do you handle traveling?

This is a discussion on How do you handle traveling? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise That "Handgunlaw" link is very good and will be handy next time I plan a trip. I really wish I didn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How do you handle traveling?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That "Handgunlaw" link is very good and will be handy next time I plan a trip. I really wish I didn't live near Maryland but unless I move I'll have to deal with it because I don't think it's going anywhere.

I agree that it's not worth the risk of running afoul of the law...that's why I asked this question. I can see that it's very complicated though with every state having different laws. I've been reading other threads on the board and some members have different interpretations of the same law in their state.
    I made that mistake a few times but didn't have any problems. Perhaps my angels were working overtime.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

That "Handgunlaw" link is very good and will be handy next time I plan a trip. I really wish I didn't live near Maryland but unless I move I'll have to deal with it because I don't think it's going anywhere.

I agree that it's not worth the risk of running afoul of the law...that's why I asked this question. I can see that it's very complicated though with every state having different laws. I've been reading other threads on the board and some members have different interpretations of the same law in their state.
    I have the same problem. I have relatives who still live in MD, and my brother and his family live just over the MD line in PA. When I visit my family in MD I disarm before reaching the border. And since I have to drive through MD to get to the PA line, I do the same when visiting my brother, except that I can re-arm once I'm in PA.

No solutions to your problem ......... IL and Maryland are simply pains in the butt. Pathetic that law abiding citizens can't simply drive through them when "traveling." But they can't.....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Danny555 View Post
    Been stuck in airports, terrorized
    Sent to meetings, hypnotized
    Overexposed, commercialized
    Handle me with care
    Welcome to the Forum! A George Harrison solo works fan I see. Me too.

Regarding interstate travel: Knowledge of and compliance with the relevant state laws is unfortunately the only correct answer.

Thankfully, I'm mostly traveling in states with reasonable reciprocity agreements.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If I avoid Illinois at every opportunity (yet I understand they may now have the tiniest glimmer of R2C hope) my armed travel is relatively unrestricted. Being a dedicated Southerner, I get nervous above the Ohio River 'cause that's where Yankees live!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I just got back from Kansas this week after seeing my son. My wife and I check online for latest updates and go. We CC in IA and MO stopping ahead of the KS boarder and unload and case our firearms. Its just that simple. We do our best to be up to date on laws and states that recognize our resident permits from IA. I just look at it as part of my responsibility and incorporate it in trip planning. I just wish states would recognize others and get on the same page, but until then thats life.

A question...I live in SC and to get to FL, where my permit is accepted, I have to go thru GA (where its not accepted). Its OK to unload and store in the trunk until I get to FL border? Just looking for clarity.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Thank god I live in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    A question...I live in SC and to get to FL, where my permit is accepted, I have to go thru GA (where its not accepted). Its OK to unload and store in the trunk until I get to FL border? Just looking for clarity.
    IANAL,but with your final designation being Fl,I think you should be fine. Check handgunlaw.us to confirm.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

All the states I travel through are valid with my permit, but I do print a copy of each state so I have it just in case.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I travel alot throughout the South East, average 4k to 6k a month on the road. Cannot carry open in South Carolina, but the moment I cross over into North Carolina and Tennesse I open carry except on our customers sites. Then I have to put it away. The only Issues I have, is that Georgia and South Carolina are not on the same page with the permit. I can still carry in Georgia because I am "Military" per their gun laws. And I open carry there. Just have to always keep in-mind to cover it up when crossing back in to South Carolina. The only issues I have is the Open Carry in West Virginia, laws do not state that you cannot, but thier brochure states that only locals can open carry.

One last issue I have to deal with is, when going onto Government Installations, I have to leave my Side Arm at the room. I remember being a kid living on base being able to carry everywhere on base.

MSZ

Lives in WI and will NEVER stop, OR shop in ILLINOIS.

I travel by car and when planning my trips to and from WI (where I live) I always MAKE SURE I do not CC in IL.

That means CC gun in a locked gun vault in vehicle (I could still unlock vault and get gun if needed).
    When I am out of IL I stop where I may safely, out of sight, CC again.

I always plan on food breaks, shopping and Gas purchases OUT of Illinois. I know the risks are low for a tactical encounter BUT why risk it.

Makes one wonder how much Illinois and their businesses are losing in revenue.

Sounds like Chicago is out of hand.
    I remember when they were shooting at cars on the expressway from the Cabrini Green Housing Project - our Tax Dollars at work.

Be vigilant.

I do like the others that have posted.I research the laws,and try to follow them..I travel to N.C. and Va. a good bit,which my permit is good in those two.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I live in an area that is sandwiched between 3 states and I can actually drive through 4 states in 45 minutes or so...PA, MD, WV, VA.

In WV the laws are pretty liberal as to CCW and open carry. However, Maryland (or "The People's Republic of Maryland" as my fireams instructor likes to call it) has tight laws. I haven't dared to drive outside WV yet because I don't know exactly what the other states laws are yet.

I do know that if you are caught in DC with even an empty cartridge in your car...not a gun...it's a mandatory one year in jail.

How do you handle traveling with your gun? Do you stop, unload your gun, put it in the trunk and go on every time you drive through another state, depending on the law?
    You're not that far from me. I'm just in Greencastle inside the PA border. Believe me that 8 mile stretch of Maryland can be a pain. I just stop at the truck hub on exit 1 in PA, and rearm when I get to the WV welcome center. Same goes for the return trip. I'm pretty familiar with the laws of PA, WV and VA as these are the 3 states I travel to the most while carrying. All 3 are OC states. Both PA and WV have castle doctrine and VA has stand your ground.

There isn't much you can do about Maryland however. Just obey the laws. I know the short 8 mile trip is annoying, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What law does an empty case violate in DC? That's pretty extreme for a piece of scrape metal in a town where machinegun-armed guards stand on street corners. That's all it is if not loaded.
    Well remember now who was that dufus that had the "empty ar-mag" on his news broadcast and didn't get penalized. I'm sure if it were you or me we'd be calling up a laywer in a lockup somewhere in DC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links