How do you handle traveling?

This is a discussion on How do you handle traveling? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in an area that is sandwiched between 3 states and I can actually drive through 4 states in 45 minutes or so...PA, MD, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How do you handle traveling?

VIP Member

How do you handle traveling?

I live in an area that is sandwiched between 3 states and I can actually drive through 4 states in 45 minutes or so...PA, MD, WV, VA.

In WV the laws are pretty liberal as to CCW and open carry. However, Maryland (or "The People's Republic of Maryland" as my fireams instructor likes to call it) has tight laws. I haven't dared to drive outside WV yet because I don't know exactly what the other states laws are yet.

I do know that if you are caught in DC with even an empty cartridge in your car...not a gun...it's a mandatory one year in jail.

How do you handle traveling with your gun? Do you stop, unload your gun, put it in the trunk and go on every time you drive through another state, depending on the law?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I live in an area that is sandwiched between 3 states and I can actually drive through 4 states in 45 minutes or so...PA, MD, WV, VA.

In WV the laws are pretty liberal as to CCW and open carry. However, Maryland (or "The People's Republic of Maryland" as my fireams instructor likes to call it) has tight laws. I haven't dared to drive outside WV yet because I don't know exactly what the other states laws are yet.

I do know that if you are caught in DC with even an empty cartridge in your car...not a gun...it's a mandatory one year in jail.

How do you handle traveling with your gun? Do you stop, unload your gun, put it in the trunk and go on every time you drive through another state, depending on the law?
    Maryland is the only state you mentioned where carrying concealed is an impossibility for normal human beings. I have a Pennsylvania non-resident permit, and the others recognize my Ohio permit. When in the PRM, I adhere closely to state law. Unfortunately, my family situation requires that I travel there once or twice a year. Yes, I become compliant at the state line.
    jskp229 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    No longer having a current passport I never travel to the Northeast. But when I travel to other states I go to Handgunlaw.us and print out the current laws for the states I will be traveling through. All of the states I travel through honor my North Carolina so I just need to comply with off limits places and restaurant carry.
    Hopyard and Maximpactguns like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What law does an empty case violate in DC? That's pretty extreme for a piece of scrape metal in a town where machinegun-armed guards stand on street corners. That's all it is if not loaded.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I review the state statutes in relevant states prior to my trip. I print out a copy of key statutes, if I'm going to be carrying. If I can't carry (a firearm/ammo), I go armed with other weaponry that's not going to be viewed as criminal to carry.

I stay at hotels with interior doors to rooms, no un-keyed/monitored exterior access, and with a motion-type portable alarm I bring with me from room to room.

Beyond those elements, I can't be much better prepared, beyond basic awareness and simple tactics/changes to improve the odds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I can see that trips are going to be much more complicated in the future :)
    Unfortunately I'm just across the Potomac River from MD and go there often.

As for DC, the gun crime is astronomical. It's pretty obvious that the bad guys aren't paying attention to the laws.
    That leaves the rest of us "sitting ducks". I only go to the major tourist areas when I go to DC...like the Smithsonian complex.
    God help you if you ever get lost in DC (and it's really easy to do because the city is laid out in a spoke, not a grid) and end up in Anacostia or one of the other high crime neighborhoods. If you ever go to DC, take the Metro.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Since I live within 40 miles of the ILLINOIS border I read handgunlaw.us often. Can't go south or east without going thur that anti-gun state. I have a resident WI and non-resident Fla and Utah. But Illinois, what a pain in the buttocks. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My family is still in Illinois so I drive there five or six times a year. I pull off at the closest spot to the Illinois state line when traveling there and unload my gun and put it in a case in the back. When I cross back into Indiana on the return trip, I reverse the procedure. I cannot see any reason to risk running afoul of the law.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    That "Handgunlaw" link is very good and will be handy next time I plan a trip. I really wish I didn't live near Maryland but unless I move I'll have to deal with it because I don't think it's going anywhere.

I agree that it's not worth the risk of running afoul of the law...that's why I asked this question. I can see that it's very complicated though with every state having different laws. I've been reading other threads on the board and some members have different interpretations of the same law in their state.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I can see that trips are going to be much more complicated in the future :)
    Unfortunately I'm just across the Potomac River from MD and go there often.

As for DC, the gun crime is astronomical. It's pretty obvious that the bad guys aren't paying attention to the laws.
    That leaves the rest of us "sitting ducks". I only go to the major tourist areas when I go to DC...like the Smithsonian complex.
    God help you if you ever get lost in DC (and it's really easy to do because the city is laid out in a spoke, not a grid) and end up in Anacostia or one of the other high crime neighborhoods. If you ever go to DC, take the Metro.
    Been to DC several times.

The metro is fine BEFORE night falls.
    Stay out of China town.

As for the major sites, again, stay clear close to dark. The criminal element knows tourists have money so these are prime hunting grounds.

I was at the Washington monument at 5pm one evening. When I returned to the hotel the news was reporting a armed robbery of a citizen that occurred 30 mins after I departed the monument.

Best self defense weapon? Our brain!

I also live in the eastern panhandle of WV and go to MD often, as I have family there. As big a pain as it is, I stop and unload my sidearm and put it in a case I keep in my trunk when going into MD. Is it stupid? Yes. Does it save lives? No. Is it the law? Yes, so I follow it.

I maintain hope that my family will move to one of the friendlier neighboring states so I can stop this nonsense!
    mwhartman likes this.

I was born and raised just a few miles North of you (Hagerstown MD). I still have family and friends in MD. I've lived in Central PA since 1964. Our children live in GA and Fl so we drive through MD. When we get close to the MD border, we stop, and like SmokinFool, I unload.

Not very convenient but it is the law!

BTW is the Exit on I 81 still under construction?

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny555 View Post
    Been stuck in airports, terrorized
    Sent to meetings, hypnotized
    Overexposed, commercialized
    Handle me with care
    Welcome to the forum!

You should hop over to the New Members Forum and introduce yourself, there. That's where most of us look!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Never travel. I've been retired for awhile and see no need to go through the grief of travel. As a younger man I traveled a great deal, and enjoyed it. Now I travel not at all and also enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I was born and raised just a few miles North of you (Hagerstown MD). I still have family and friends in MD. I've lived in Central PA since 1964. Our children live in GA and Fl so we drive through MD. When we get close to the MD border, we stop, and like SmokinFool, I unload.

Not very convenient but it is the law!

BTW is the Exit on I 81 still under construction?

Mike
    I used to live in Frederick. I'm very familiar with Frederick and Washington Counties. I actually loved the area, but MD was just too liberal a state for me. I'm much happier in WV. Oh, and yes 81 is still under construction, and will be for quite some time yet. I don't honesty know why it's taking to long, but this appears to be a (very) long term project. I maintain my optimism that it will all be worth it in the end. The extra driving lane on each side will definitely help with the flow of traffic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links