Raleigh - Cary - Durham, NC Open Carry - Page 2

Raleigh - Cary - Durham, NC Open Carry

This is a discussion on Raleigh - Cary - Durham, NC Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out the NC page on OCDO. There is a fairly active group of folks OC'ing in your area. Not saying there are a lot ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Raleigh - Cary - Durham, NC Open Carry

Check out the NC page on OCDO. There is a fairly active group of folks OC'ing in your area. Not saying there are a lot of folks. But some that are pretty serious about it. They have a few OC dinners down that way every year.

North Carolina

There have been a few issues with LE. But some of them are getting sorted out. It does not seem like Cary is as bad as it once was. However, OC is still illegal on city owned property per their ordinances. Private property is OK. And Chapel Hill it is illegal to OC a gun under 6" total length. That's an odd one.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

So, I could carry my RIA 1911 openly but not the Ruger SR9c in Chapel Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Actually, OC is illegal in TX. CC only, no printing.
    You're right, should've said AZ and NV! But my point is, OC is normal is some places, freakishly unknown where we live.

I'm not a huge proponent of OC, and rarely consider it an option (I opted to take the class and apply for CC). However, when I noticed a few OC'ers in my town, I did some research on local statutes and went straight to the horses mouth....I emailed the Chief of Police and asked how OC'ing was viewed by he and his Officers. Simply put, while I think the people here are very knowledgeable, it might be in your best interest to find out what you would like to know locally, from someone of authority. Also, as part of what led to my decision to email the Chief: in Nebraska you have to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun...it's no secret to them who has them.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobertPA View Post
    So, I could carry my RIA 1911 openly but not the Ruger SR9c in Chapel Hill?
    It's about total length not slide length. So the SR9c would be fine. But an LCR, LC9, or J frame might not be. Ridiculous right?

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I fail to see the logic in that; however, it is Chapel Hill...the place where they're open to all types of diversity except diversity of opinion.

My LC9 is 6 inches ...

I don't normally OC my LC9.

I fail to see the logic in that; however, it is Chapel Hill...the place where they're open to all types of diversity except diversity of opinion.
    So right, a liberal cesspool that area....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

It's pulled from a NCSC case State vs Kerner.

"It is also but a reasonable regulation, and one which has been adopted in some of the states, to require that a pistol shall not be under a certain length, which if reasonable will prevent the use of pistols of small size which are not borne as arms but which are easily and ordinarily carried concealed. To exclude all pistols, however, is not a regulation, but a prohibition, of arms which come under the designation of "arms" which the people are entitled to bear. This is not an idle or an obsolete guaranty, for there are still localities, not necessary to mention, where great corporations, under the guise of detective agents or private police, terrorize their employees by armed force. If the people are forbidden to carry the only arms within their means, among them pistols, they will be completely at the mercy of these great plutocratic organizations. Should there be a mob, is it possible that law-abiding citizens could not assemble with their pistols carried openly and protect their persons and their property from unlawful violence without going before an official and obtaining license and giving bond?"

It's a pretty good case for open carry. But it laid the groundwork for some pretty dumb laws too.

STATE v. KERNER. (No. 345.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links