Would you be concerned? - Page 2

Would you be concerned?

This is a discussion on Would you be concerned? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By my measuring stick, that's at least a 21 inch barrel. Ummm in the article I believe it said the barrel was 13 and something ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Would you be concerned?

VIP Member
    By my measuring stick, that's at least a 21 inch barrel.
    Ummm in the article I believe it said the barrel was 13 and something inches long, or were you being sarcastic?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I imagine most people would be concerned............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Ummm in the article I believe it said the barrel was 13 and something inches long, or were you being sarcastic?
    Hold your index finger away from your thumb, like you're measuring something of, say, less than average length. Presto, you claim it's seven inches.

That's all I can say without violating the forum rules.

I don't think I would call 911 unless he was acting erratically. However, I can't say for sure until I was actually in that situation.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Unstable, def call police and get away.

Even disregarding the behavior cited in the article, I'd be instantly wary of a person carrying any firearm in hand in a public place. Responsible carry, especially open, should be maintained. Or more aptly put, in my mind, a firearm should be secured in some way unless you have to use it. If I see someone else with a firearm in hand and not secured in some way, I'm going to assume they intend to use it, and if there's no other obvious threat they are reacting to...I'd back away and call 911, and be ready to draw if needed.
    tacman605 and ccw9mm like this.

VIP Member
    I would be concerned because someone carrying a gun like that in a store is doing it for attention, hotdogging or malice.

None of those make me think that the person is just "exercising his rights". Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD carry around a weapon like that. It's what gives serious, smart gun owners a bad reputation and makes anti-gun's double down on their agenda.

It also makes me think they are up to no good...even if they haven't done anything threatening besides walk around with the gun.
    Foxy and tacman605 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Probably dont matter what u do no ones going to believe him over you this guys a frickin NUT !!!!!.... Lol.

A call to the PD is in order. I'm also going to get into a safe area where I can defend myself should this guy start shooting.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Looks like someone messed up a nice shotgun...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I am not certain about ALL states but in Texas that is a "Prohibited Weapon" and illegal to possess under any condition. To be walking in an urban area with a firearm "in hand" would be a concern regardless of intent or firearm type. OC is fine (if legal) if properly secured in an appropriate manner, but not walking down the street or in a public area with weapon "in hand". To my way of thinking that is simply irresponsible at best and a serious threat at worst. To be carrying a shotgun "in hand" would definitely cause the little hairs on my neck to rise, he is getting stopped and probably arrested.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    The way you put his actions calls for making space, taking cover, and a call to 911.

I ran into a situation a few weeks ago at the market here in AZ.

I was sitting in my truck about to leave when this junker car pulled up and parked just across from us. The driver was a "meth skinny" guy in his 20's with no shirt and what looked like prison tattoos (but probably weren't) all over his back, neck and arms. As he got out and started toward the store I saw a big black gun on his belt. My first thought was ***? My second was to move my hand toward my gun.

As he walked toward the store pretty much everyone who saw him stopped and looked. He finally put on a t shirt about 1/2 way. I theorized he probably wasn't a threat or a felon, even though he looked like he just got out of San Quentin, and went on about my business.

But, such a person to me is simply saying, look at me, I'm a tough guy and I've got a gun so you'd better not mess with me cause I'll mess you up.

Would I have reacted differently if the person was wearing a white shirt and tie? Probably, I'd assume he was a detective who was too stupid to cover his gun or was about to engage someone in a gunfight. So I'd clear out.

Bottom line, I think in most URBAN social settings OC is out of place. In rural communities it's a different story.

All this said, I work in low income property management. That means sometimes dealing with gangs, druggies, domestic violence and evictions. When we are involved in document service, eviction or other enforcement actions, my partner and I OC full size pistols in either belt or tactical thigh holsters. BUT we also wear yellow shirts or windbreakers with badges embossed on the chest and "security" printed on front and back. This enables us to 1) have full size sidearms at the ready, 2) provides us an intimidation factor. People don't generally start trouble with armed security, whereas they might and have assaulted unarmed managers and process servers (even me in the past). 3) By wearing appropriate clothing, other tenants or the public sees us as security officers and not a threat to them.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That weapon and his behavior would tell me this guy isn't merely carrying for his personal protection. I'm relocating myself while punching 911. Clearly "abnormal" and worthy of LEO query.
    That about sums up what I would do. I believe anyone should have the right of self defense with a firearms, but that comes with a lot of responsibility. Just because I feel this way about gun ownership, does not mean that I believe everyone should posses a gun - that is where we hit the proverbial "slippery slope".
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Upon reading your question, I would let the LEO's do their job and call 911. I live in an open carry state and have seen people excersizing their right to open carry, but have never seen a shotgun or an individual carry this weapon who is acting deranged. I have never called 911 on an open carry person, but in this case I would. reading some of the comments I have to agree......just because you can carry, doesn't mean you need to be blatent about it. Kinda like freedom of speech, just because you have that right,, doesn't mean you yell fire in a theatre.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links