Would you be concerned?

Would you be concerned?

This is a discussion on Would you be concerned? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So as to hijack another thread I will ask this question here. I realize that OC is legal in some states and many a time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Would you be concerned?

VIP Member

Would you be concerned?

So as to hijack another thread I will ask this question here.

I realize that OC is legal in some states and many a time when an article is posted like the one about carrying a sawed off shotgun in a store it is always the non gun public's fault for jumping the gun and calling it in or LE's fault for trampling on someone's rights. So with that in mind I want to ask this question.

If you were walking through your local grocery store CC'ing, OC'ing or whatever and came around the corner to come face to face with a guy carrying this (see below) while he was hitting himself in the head what would your reaction be?

sawed off.jpg

Can you honestly say "Oh well OC is legal and it takes all kinds I guess?"

I personally would consider this an Uh Oh moment. Not saying I would draw but I damn sure would get the family out of the way, if they were there, back up and not let him out of my sight while calling 911.

Note: Sorry for the added images that is the way it copied and pasted. I do not know if this was the suspect arrested or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That weapon and his behavior would tell me this guy isn't merely carrying for his personal protection. I'm relocating myself while punching 911. Clearly "abnormal" and worthy of LEO query.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    To quote King Arthur-"Run Away! Run Away!"

Seriously, back out and call 911.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Moderator
    If I see someone walking down my street carrying a M4orgery I would call 911 because it is out of place in my town. Same for this guy. If it is a holstered firearm then that is not out of place and I don't call 911
    sdprof, nerdyvirgin and Tzadik like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I realize that OC is legal in some states and many a time when an article is posted like the one about carrying a sawed off shotgun in a store it is always the non gun public's fault for jumping the gun and calling it in or LE's fault for trampling on someone's rights. So with that in mind I want to ask this question.

If you were walking through your local grocery store CC'ing, OC'ing or whatever and came around the corner to come face to face with a guy carrying this (see below) while he was hitting himself in the head what would your reaction be?
    Ah, well, you're essentially comparing garden-variety MWAG calls to a situation with a shotgun-carrying person showing clear evidence of being disturbed, upset or high on something.

Seems to me that unjustifiable MWAG calls uncorroborated by any other factor aren't in the same league as apparently-disturbed armed individuals waving weapons around in public spaces. The former don't deserve to be "jumped on," but the latter's certainly of concern to anyone who sees it.
    fireman836 and akav8er like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well even if you take out the hitting himself in the head part if I saw someone walking down the ketchup aisle with this on his shoulder I would still act accordingly and call 911 whether OC is legal or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yes, it definintely looks a bit short on the legal length if nothng else.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I suspect this is a job for...911.

Hopefully nature will take its course and he will not be with us much longer due to self inflicted _____. As others have said, back away and call 911. As I know nothing of open carry, is wielding considered OC? Figured it was just visible, not walking down the street with it in hand, but I do not know.
    tacman605 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I don't think it is what your carrying but how your carrying it.
    jrclen, BigJon10125 and Poseidon like this.

Well lets see. If it is as you describe I am reaching for my phone as I either walk past or stop and back up. I am also moving my clothes that cover my CC and getting a grip. Not sure I am drawing as I don't want to escalate things but I am ready if need be. I will always respect OC but this is not a case of someone trying to express their rights. This has the potential to get ugly very fast
    tacman605 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    came around the corner to come face to face with a guy carrying this (see below) while he was hitting himself in the head what would your reaction be?
    The proximity of the person would escalate the threat. I can't imagine being able to hide my surprise or what I would hope would be a reflexive reaction of grabbing my gun. I would back around the corner as quickly as possible, draw my weapon and keep backing down the aisle as fast as possible. Might not be the safest action if someone has already reported him and L.E.O.s are coming up from behind but he is a real threat while all else is merely feared. If I could get away an aisle or two I would call 911 and holster my weapon. I only shop early Sunday mornings so there are usually few other customers around.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    The situation described goes beyond the normal OC. The weapon he has and his actions warrant it be looked into, and NOT by me. Get the family to safety and call 911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If the behavior of a gentleman sporting some kind of long arm appeared to be passive, I'd be inclined to curiously inquire about why he chose to carry such a cumbersome firearm rather than a handgun. However, when I heard the sound of approaching sirens, I would politely put some distance between us.

On the other hand, if he appeared to be agitated, I'd split the scene, you know what I mean.

In my area, local LE would have already been deluged with MWG calls from terrified soccer moms, so I don't think I would even need to call 911 in this case... In fact, the area would soon be teaming with heavily armed and armored tactical units, which would be all the more reason for me to quickly move on.
    tacman605 likes this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

VIP Member
    By my measuring stick, that's at least a 21 inch barrel.
    norb5150 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links