Indiana silent on open carry

This is a discussion on Indiana silent on open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Indiana law does not prohibit nor endorse open carry. I've always found that a little odd. As a average citizen with a CCP, I see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Indiana silent on open carry

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Indiana silent on open carry

Indiana law does not prohibit nor endorse open carry. I've always found that a little odd.

As a average citizen with a CCP, I see no reason to attract undue attention by strapping on a sidearm in full view of the public at large.
    One thing is for sure; if you open carry in Indiana, you WILL be stopped, you WILL be questioned and you WILL be on their (LE) radar.

Although I seriously doubt carrying in plain view will bring the wrath of Gov't entities down upon me, I will not open carry...I just don't need the aggravation nor will I invite it.
    Wolf357 and sixgun like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Indiana law does not prohibit nor endorse open carry. I've always found that a little odd.

As a average citizen with a CCP, I see no reason to attract undue attention by strapping on a sidearm in full view of the public at large.
    One thing is for sure; if you open carry in Indiana, you WILL be stopped, you WILL be questioned and you WILL be on their (LE) radar.

Although I seriously doubt carrying in plain view will bring the wrath of Gov't entities down upon me, I will not open carry...I just don't need the aggravation nor will I invite it.
    Yes. I concur. As long as one is in possession of a valid LTCH, which, technically, is not a CCP, they can legally OC, or CC in IN. But anyone who chooses to OC, especially in urban areas, is going to inevitably be confronted by LE. And, since I too prefer to maintain a low profile to avoid such uncomfortable confrontaions with LE, I choose to only CC. But should our handguns become momentarily exposed in public, we don't have to be concerned with losing our LTCH due to a ridiculous 'brandishing' clause.
    cock3dlock3d likes this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Especially in a state where open carry isn't expressly allowed by the letter of the law, you're going to get stopped and questioned, and likely cuffed if we're being gut-level honest. However with that said, if the law never mentions the open carrying of a firearm then one is to assume that it's legal, though they might get you for something like disturbing the peace. Here in the good ol US of A our laws tell us what we're not allowed to do, rather than what we are allowed to do.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To be arrested and charged with a violation of a law, there has to be a law or ordinance to be violated. If one is OC'ing, and no law or ordinance prohibiting OC, that what would be the grounds for arrest and/charges?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    To be arrested and charged with a violation of a law, there has to be a law or ordinance to be violated. If one is OC'ing, and no law or ordinance prohibiting OC, that what would be the grounds for arrest and/charges?
    NC is similar to Indiana in having no explicit law one way or another about OC with CC by permit. So you can OC all day as long as nobody says anything but if somebody calls police and there's any indication you were being a jerk about it you can be charged with "going armed to the terror of the people." I don't know why anybody would OC under these conditions unless it just makes them think their badasses or something.

Doing something the cop didn't like or didn't think should be legal. I'm not trying to bash police or anything like that, just saying that most would probably assume that since no one ever does it it can't be legal and would at least stop and detain until they figured it out.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'm not much of a fan of OC but if that's what you like then have at it!!
    carracer likes this.

I live in Indiana and consistently OC daily. I have never had any issues or stops from LE or people in general. I do get many questions though. I see no problem with obeying the law and OCing in my state. I'm sorry you guys do.
    carracer, atctimmy and Gun Bunny like this.

No law is required to make an activity legal, since laws only make things illegal. A law which serves the sole purpose of saying you can OC (or do anything else, for that matter) is senseless and unnecessary, and goes against the whole concept of what laws do and how laws are viewed in this country.

In short, if there is no law against it, it's 100% legal.

I suppose it all depends on where you live; Indiana is a very diverse state, south of Indianapolis can be as deep south as you can get, first wife was born and raised just outside of Bloomington and had such a southern accent people thought she was from Georgia or Tennessee. While northern Indiana can be as NE Yankee as New York or New Jersey with all the associated problems.

If you were to OC anywhere in "Da Region" (NW, really suburbs of Shitcago) I would almost guarantee you will have problems; yet OC anywhere in the southern section Salem, Orleans, Paoli etc and you won't draw a second look. I OCed around the outskirts of Bloomington when I lived there and never had a problem.
    Durhamgoat and Gun Bunny like this.

Ex Member
    Amen to that. I have had a Indiana CCW permit for decades and NEVER carry open. You are just inviting trouble. If someone NEEDS attention let them learn magic.
    cock3dlock3d likes this.

VIP Member

Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^

This is proper reasoning. Simple as that.
    It shouldn't take a Philadelphia Lawyer to figure this out.
    C'mon guys!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Who ever said cops require grounds to detain/arrest/harass citizens? Happens all the time. I don't need that sort of attention.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Really?

"All the time" is usually interpreted as never, or rarely at best.
    Qtip and CIBMike like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links