Ohio Open Carry Laws while hunting

This is a discussion on Ohio Open Carry Laws while hunting within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was almost attacked by 2 coyotes yesterday while bow hunting in Coshocton County, Ohio. Luckily I was able to quickly reach for my sidearm ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Ohio Open Carry Laws while hunting

I was almost attacked by 2 coyotes yesterday while bow hunting in Coshocton County, Ohio. Luckily I was able to quickly reach for my sidearm and fire one shot in their direction and it scared them off. This led me to wonder what may have happened had I not been carrying and/or if I were not there what may have happened to my friend. He does not carry since he does not have his license, but would he be legal to openly carry while bow hunting?

I have heard that the coyotes are really bad in the evening where I have been hunting and I could not imagine only being out in the middle of the woods with only a bow.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    It's as legal as a beagle. For concealed carry regs while hunting visit: General Ohio Hunting Information

Also, welcome to the forums from Dayton, hope you stick around and learn as much as you can!

*Edit - I'm not sure sure I was correct. Researching now...

Regarding open carry, here is a link to a convo from last year on OFCC with the same question: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56594

Haven't found anything definitive, but it seems like you'd want to err on the side of caution and keep it concealed.
    Last edited by DontTreadOnI; November 8th, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

The way I understand it, and I am not a lawyer is this.

If you are hunting with a handgun, the handgun can not be concealed, and must be carried on the outer layer of clothing. If you are carrying concealed, it must be concealed, and can not be used for hunting purposes.

Since to open carry it would need to be on the outermost layer, and it wouldn't be permissable hunting equipment for the season, I would say no.

But, your best bet, is to call the game warden in the county you hunt in (each county has its own warden), and ask his opinion. Most are friendly, approachable, and full of knowledge, and would rather answer a question beforehand, than need to write a citation.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you kill the coyotes? Its always open season on them.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    From the Ohio Deer Hunting Regulations:
    "A Deer Hunter CANNOT do any of the following: 4. Carry a handgun while hunting deer during the early muzzleloader season (on designated areas), the statewide muzzleloader season, and archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun being used during hunting in a concealed manner. Except as noted in number 11 of the Hunter Can Do section."

The entire section can be read here:
    Ohio Deer Hunting Regulations
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Here are a list of wildlife officers and their phone numbers by county:

Wildlife Officers by County
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    From the Ohio Deer Hunting Regulations:
    "A Deer Hunter CANNOT do any of the following: 4. Carry a handgun while hunting deer during the early muzzleloader season (on designated areas), the statewide muzzleloader season, and archery season; have more than one firearm while hunting deer; carry a handgun being used during hunting in a concealed manner. Except as noted in number 11 of the Hunter Can Do section."

The entire section can be read here:
    Ohio Deer Hunting Regulations
    Here is the #11: Concealed Carry: A person possessing a valid Concealed Carry licensed may carry their concealed weapon while hunting, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more information go to ag.state.oh.us.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Here is the #11: Concealed Carry: A person possessing a valid Concealed Carry licensed may carry their concealed weapon while hunting, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more information go to ag.state.oh.us.
    Thanks. I meant to post 11, but missed it. As it reads, the actions of the OP would likely be deemed as illegal.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    In Michigan you would be alright in doing so , regardless of it being firearm or bow season,,,,,,,,

Heres Mi. law

The rules listed below may not apply to those having a concealed pistol license or those specifically exempt by law from a concealed pistol license and who carry their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption

And then its lists all the following on the page here..

DNR - Firearm, Crossbow and Bow and Arrow Rules

I would take the way Oh. has it worded as the taking of wild animal as in the form of hunting, not shooting them to stave off a violent attack.
    That is what my defense would be, were I to shoot at a coyote in Oh. while hunting.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links