Law Enforcement and Open Carry

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement and Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think it's a matter of attitude. Some LEO just have the us vs. them attitude that the general public needs to be controlled... and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Law Enforcement and Open Carry

I think it's a matter of attitude. Some LEO just have the us vs. them attitude that the general public needs to be controlled... and they are the ones to do it. (bullying?)

2. Remove Ads

I thought this was quite interesting and I keep a copy of this, amongst other things in my car.

Cincinnati police chief advises staff of legality regarding open carry of a firearm in Ohio

A great deal of problems would be solved by the police force informing callers there is no law against open carry.
    carracer and ericb327 like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It sure sounds like that police chief has a healthy dose of common sense and the initiative to ensure his officers handle any OC situation with lawful logic. My hat is off to him; we need more LEOs like him. A very pro-active course to prevent OC issues frmo being abused.
    carracer and ericb327 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Now if we could just get the rest of the CLEOs in the Cincinnati area to 1) agree with this memo (which is legally accurate) and 2) distribute it to their staffs...
    ericb327 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I think because they know how paniced people get over seeing someone with a gun, and mabey they feel that they have to stop and atleast get an Idea of the mental status of the person should he be on a mission to kill, I think the majority of them feel they need to feel out the person incase the guy open carryiing is on a mission to kill... I know its nuts but in todays age with all the media hype over guns and all the shootings in past couple decades I guess they feel they have to CTA (cover thier A$$) On the other hand how many criminals with outstanding warrents are gonna be out there drawing attention to themselves? or how many people that have a mission to kill are gonna risk not accomplishing their mission and open carry when there is a chance they will be stopped.. Some cops as you see on youtube just dont like anyone having power and wanna break Bal*S. but majority of the police arent used to seeing people walking around with a holstered gun, I dont know. Id rather conceal myy weapon, but Im all about the 2nd Amendment So what ever makes you not become a victim...

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The Cincinnati chief from all I have sen is a vey good head of the department. Seems like he has his head on straight.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I think it's a matter of attitude. Some LEO just have the us vs. them attitude that the general public needs to be controlled... and they are the ones to do it. (bullying?)
    You're absolutely correct.

It's great PR when a Chief announces their 'tolerant' policy concerning OC, but how often is a private citizen approached by senior LE officials. And I certainly don't want to be the private citizen who is senselessly abused by a patrol officer intent on inflicting their 'intolerant' opinion regarding OC on those who legally choose to do so.

Also, consider it just another paranoid conspiracy theory if you wish, but just because a Chief LE official overtly declares OC acceptable, doesn't mean he hasn't privately ordered his subordinates to discourage OC.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

VIP Member
    Last time I checked, the "Chief" sets policy for the officers. If he says don't detain without "reason" other than mere OC, then the officers had best listen to the Chief. Whoabe the officer who decides "The heck with what the boss says."
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't OC. I've watched several videos on YouTube on people that OC and encounter the LEOs and while some may have some valid points, others do just to get a reaction and go looking for reactions.
    kb2wji likes this.

VIP Member
    OC, LEOS and U-tube spells intentional attention seeking. That's not why I'd OC.

Here in Arizona its no big deal with LE. I open or conceal carry depending on what I'm doing and how I dress. Heck I've been pulled over with even my AK47 on the seat loaded never did the LEO even bat an eye. Then again this is Arizona
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links