Law Enforcement and Open Carry

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement and Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My views on Open Carry and Law Enforcement Interaction Law Enforcement and Open Carry Truality Bar and Grill I'm trying to figure out why ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Law Enforcement and Open Carry

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Law Enforcement and Open Carry

My views on Open Carry and Law Enforcement Interaction

Law Enforcement and Open Carry Truality Bar and Grill

I'm trying to figure out why some LEO don't like us open carrying. Any Thoughts?
    Last edited by ericb327; November 9th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I have yet to here a valid argument against open carry other than we get too many “Man With A gun Calls”. Maybe not a valid point but I get it."

I imagine they get too many drunken domestic disturbance calls also, but no one gets stopped for leaving the quickie store with a twelve-pack under the arm for suspicion of maybe planning to commit domestic abuse.

My thinking is the MWAG calls and subsequent LEO stops will continue unabated until someone with more money and time than most takes the issue on in the court system, either as a violation of civil rights or as a very expensive lawsuit that PDs no longer wish to risk without reasonable suspicion beyond mere presence of a lawfully openly carried firearm.

Will that happen anytime soon? Who knows. I don't.
    ericb327, Brad426 and Thunder71 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not a bad post. I have to admit it makes the Grammar and Spelling Nazi in me freak out a little, but that happens a lot.
    GH likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Not a bad post. I have to admit it makes the Grammar and Spelling Nazi in me freak out a little, but that happens a lot.
    Thanks, I'll go back and proof it again.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Thanks, I'll go back and proof it again.
    Look for "here" and "hear", "there" and "their". Good blog, I don't OC though because nobody else around here does so you'd stand out like a sore thumb. But I live in a liberal, urbanized part of the state. Who knows out in the sticks, probably not unusual there.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Here we go again
    Your point?

I smell
    Supraman762 likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Look for "here" and "hear", "there" and "their".
    your/you're = its/it's = minuet/minute = buy/by = Febuary/February = colour/color = gray/grey

my favorite is donuts/doughnuts & blond/blonde

OH open carry ?? right....well, there is good things about it and bad things about it, you just have to decide what makes you feel comfortable

You saw what California did!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    My views on Open Carry and Law Enforcement Interaction

I'm trying to figure out why some LEO don't like us open carrying. Any Thoughts?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Mindset of the officer and how he was indoctr,,,,er, schooled.

A lot of "out in the sticks", Timbucktu' places, you may not have much of an issue, firearms are mostly a way of life, and its understood by the LEO that its ingrained in the culture.
    In the cities, and the fringes thereof(50-100 miles) or so its gonna be an issue, because of the bad rap firearms have gotten.
    "Kids and guns are bad, gangs and guns are bad, we are civilized, we don't need guns mentality" all add to the adverse thought on firearms and how officers are taught to react to "John Q. Publics" accessibility to them
    Last edited by OD*; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fix quote
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Look for "here" and "hear", "there" and "their". Good blog, I don't OC though because nobody else around here does so you'd stand out like a sore thumb. But I live in a liberal, urbanized part of the state. Who knows out in the sticks, probably not unusual there.
    ^ this statement is not true I OC.. just did couple hours ago. and OC is not just "out in the sticks"... so he is not the Only one around here and won't "stick out like a sore thumb"

Sorry to bust your bubble

oh and oneshot... i was in the city... no 5-0 called
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I OCed everyday for 5yrs in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. You really can't get more liberal and urbanized than that area. I havent had an issue in years

It depends on where you live, but is not necessarily dictated by being "in the sticks" or in an "urbanized" area. I do live in what is considered a rural state, but I live in a suburban area of that state, being rather close to the borders of MD (which is a very liberal state), VA, and PA. I have OC'd many times in the past few months, and have even exchanged pleasantries with the LEO's I come across while OC'ing, and have not been harassed at all. It is indeed possible for all of us to get along. It comes down to proper training of law enforcement and a non-chip-on-the shoulder attitude on the part of the carriers.
    ericb327 and minimalbrat like this.

Before I moved to Charleston, Sc, I was living just outside of Kansas city, Missouri. In KC LIMITS Missouri side, you could OC w/o a permit or license or anything as long as you were legally able to purchase the firearm. I don't have my CCP/CCW so for me it was the only option I had at the time. I never got any problems but it does look odd when you goto a store and there is a "No Guns" sticker up and you have to walk back to your car. I just tried to make a mental note of all the places I usually went that didn't have the stickers, and obviously not walk into my bank. Charleston doesn't have an OC policy yet and I've been hoping to try and kickstart something soon. I'm also considering getting into law enforcement so my mentality is assuming someone is openly carrying, they're probably legally able to. I think this could come down to an angle of judging someone by their looks. Say you see a nicely dressed cleancut looking guy walking down the street with an oc firearm, you would probably not think too much or twice at all about him being suspicious. You see another guy walking down the street, poorly dressed, not clean cut looking, tattooed all over and openly carrying as well. You're obviously going to approach the guy that doesn't look so good. I would fall into the latter situation. I choose to be myself, tattooed up to a point, I've never owned a pair of khaki pants and usually dress relaxed and not like I'm eating 4 star meals everyday. I think I would have a bigger issue than someone who looked and dressed more professionally even tho we both had no run-ins with the law and were both legally able to purchase firearms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links