Just couldn't do it

This is a discussion on Just couldn't do it within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been OCing for about a year and a half and have had no issues with LE, they've noticed but never approached me, and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Just couldn't do it

I have been OCing for about a year and a half and have had no issues with LE, they've noticed but never approached me, and only 2 or 3 smart-aleck comments from the general public. Most people are too engrossed with their daily activities to even notice. Had a number pf very positive encounters with people I would not have had I not been OC, and provided education about it in the process.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

As someone new to carrying and open carrying as a whole, humor me a moment as I share my perspective.

For me, I started carrying concealed a few months ago, well before I joined the site. I carried my gun IWB, and just due to the declining weather, usually under a light jacket. To me, it still felt like I was wearing a bright neon sign saying "Look at me! I'm carrying a gun!" Even the most casual glance my way made me think they -knew- I was carrying and were condemning me in some way. I almost quit right off the bat, it just felt foreign and uncomfortable. Finally after a couple of days I reminded myself of -why- I chose to carry, and I soldiered on.

After the first solid week of carrying I started to get comfortable with the weight on my hip, and was less paranoid about every look. Eventually, after having failed to been noticed, demonized, or otherwise called out for carrying I became comfortable with the new-found responsibility tucked into my waistband. While I always try to be cognizant of my surroundings and maintain good situational awareness, it otherwise felt as natural as any day prior to conceal carrying.

Fast forward a month and I decided to try open carrying, as was my original plan (CC when with family or my daughter [2 weeks 50/50 custody] and OC when alone or with my friends), and I felt exactly the same. It felt like I had that big neon sign again on me, and that every gaze my way was with big-deer eyes and an "oh my god that hooligan has a gun!" look in their face.

Well, being that the gun was openly visible, these gazes had some actual merit. For the first few days I would often give up halfway through my day and ditch the gun in the car. I felt -supremely- conscious of it every moment I had it on, and was always semi-tensed, expected to be tackled at any moment. I finally had to have the same conversation with myself, again, stating why I decided to carry, and the added benefits of open carry. I reminded myself I'm not open carrying to feel like a badass, or because I'm an attention whore *cough* earlier comment *cough*, but because I believe in my rights, and because I want to ensure that I have the best possible chance of seeing my kid and family again if something bad happened.

I forced myself to put the gun back on each day, OWB, and continue on as I did when concealed carrying. Well, you know what? After another week or so I again felt more relaxed, more comfortable carrying. I recognized that while some of the people who glanced my way also glanced at the firearm on my hip, most continued on oblivious to my carrying. The ones that did see it, usually just looked back ahead and continued on their way. I saw a couple of frowns, or shakes of the head. Even a few, dare I say, venomous glares. I passed LEO's, private security, and military, and at most got a slightly longer glance, and then they'd continue on their business. Hell, I even got a couple of approving nods from a pair of LEO's. After a month of CCing and a month of OCing, respectively, I no longer am concerned with other's opinions or glances. I watch them for SA purposes, and they almost universally go about their business oblivious or ambivalent to my wear.

So, in short (ie: tl;dr): To a CCer, I can see how carrying open can seem unnecessary, make you feel exposed and out of your comfort zone. However just as any form of carrying was uncomfortable to me, at first, I think it be something you'd acclimate to quickly. As for why you'd open carry instead of conceal carry, there are some benefits to it beyond the ones that conceal carry gives you. If you think to argue them, well...just remember that arguing CC vs OC is similar to a non-carrying person arguing against a concealed carrier. There are reasons we all choose to carry a firearm, and for those that open carry, there are reasons they choose to do that as well, and they aren't necessarily bad ones.
    Harvester and FUZZ like this.

I'm an introvert who loves to bask in the limedark, so no. I'm with the OP.
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Another matter that I've considered is the Milwaukee Police Chief. He promised that anyone open carrying & seen by his officers will be taken to the ground, handcuffed, have a records check run on them, their gun taken away & if the record is clear can pick their gun up at the station.
    Is this the same guy? New letter alleges Chief Flynn, journalist continued affair past 2009 - TODAY'S TMJ4
    ("Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn thought he put his extra-marital affair with journalist Jessica McBride behind him, but a recent letter sent to Chief Flynn's wife questions whether that affair ended in 2009.")

If you open carry in Milwaukee, maybe you should carry a copy of the article too!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While i understand why people OC in protest of a locality not issuing CC permits, that is exactly why they outlawed OC in most of California. I prefer to have the element of surprise.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I am in Wisconsin and as Glenn mentioned in post #8, the Milwaukee police chief has publicly stated his opinion on OC in spite of the states Attorney General stating it is fully legal and not grounds for harassing people who are not breaking any law.

This was all before concealed carry became legal in Wisconsin, and open carry was the only legal option at the time.

I have owned lands in rural parts of the state and have open carried there, and CC'd there while on private property before November 2011 (when CC licenses began being issued here).

Since last November, I have carried every day but one (when I had pneumonia and never left the house) and I find that I open carry far more often now then before.

This is because of a shift in atmosphere here since concealed carry became legal.
    I generally conceal, but don't worry so much about deep concealment or even OCing when doing my daily errands, riding my bike or being out in the woods or canoeing. I just don't worry about it, and neither do the people around me seem to much notice or care.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Is this the same guy? New letter alleges Chief Flynn, journalist continued affair past 2009 - TODAY'S TMJ4
    ("Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn thought he put his extra-marital affair with journalist Jessica McBride behind him, but a recent letter sent to Chief Flynn's wife questions whether that affair ended in 2009.")

If you open carry in Milwaukee, maybe you should carry a copy of the article too!
    That would be the one.
    NRA Life Member

As has been said here, open carry is not for everyone. However if you want to carry openly but just feel too nervous about it right now, I might suggest you start by carrying openly in your home. Now, if you are married or living with someone you will probably get some strange looks and some questions. Answer the questions honestly, and see how that goes. After you get a little more used to the feel of the gun on your hip, make some short trips (shopping, getting gas, etc) for a while until that feels more natural. Gradually increase the amount of time away from home that you carry until you feel comfortable with it. If you don't ever get comfortable with it then you will know that open carry is not for you, but at least you will know that you gave it a fair chance.

It's no different than when people first CC a gun, and think everyone knows and is looking at them. They aren't. Believe me... they don't notice that much when you OC either, it's in your head.

I can't tell you the times someone said to me (job related) ..... "you have a gun ? ... I didn't know that " ...... response; "yes, the one that is always on my hip..... duh". Them : "Gee, I never noticed that" .

Just do your thing and don't respond to any looks or anything else, just go about your business like you normally do .
    FUZZ likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I wouldn't be able to do it either. I don't like unwanted attention. I'm more of the quiet guy.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I'm not comfortable with OC. Only my family and close friends know I CC. The friends that know I CC are also CWL holders.

And it's ok if you aren't comfortable with open carry. We oc'ers support you in your chosen method of carry. The important thing is CARRY.
    lchamp, archer51 and ep1953 like this.

I believe anyone who carrys openly would be the first choice target for the bg... Eddie

I completely support anyone that wants to carry openly but I won't do so. To me it's a tactical decision; if I ever need to use my weapon in a defensive situation I don't want the bad guy(s) to know I'm armed until I produce my sidearm.

I can appreciate the open mindedness to try it. And it's not for everyone. I OC occasionally. Sometimes I just don't feel up to it for whatever reason and CC. I like having the choice though. I'm armed pretty much all the time, CC or OC. Armed is the important part. How you carry is just a detail.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links