Just couldn't do it - Page 3

Just couldn't do it

This is a discussion on Just couldn't do it within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by chiefjason I can appreciate the open mindedness to try it. And it's not for everyone. I OC occasionally. Sometimes I just don't ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Just couldn't do it

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Just couldn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I can appreciate the open mindedness to try it. And it's not for everyone. I OC occasionally. Sometimes I just don't feel up to it for whatever reason and CC. I like having the choice though. I'm armed pretty much all the time, CC or OC. Armed is the important part. How you carry is just a detail.
    Excellent point!
    Ksgunner likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Just couldn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It's no different than when people first CC a gun, and think everyone knows and is looking at them. They aren't. Believe me... they don't notice that much when you OC either, it's in your head.

I can't tell you the times someone said to me (job related) ..... "you have a gun ? ... I didn't know that " ...... response; "yes, the one that is always on my hip..... duh". Them : "Gee, I never noticed that" .

Just do your thing and don't respond to any looks or anything else, just go about your business like you normally do .
    I honestly never had any feelings like that when I first began cc'ing four years ago. I was very used to handguns and only had to decide on a comfortable way to carry.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I honestly never had any feelings like that when I first began cc'ing four years ago. I was very used to handguns and only had to decide on a comfortable way to carry.
    Well, then OCing gave you an idea of how some of us felt CCing the first time :P Like anything you'll either grow accustomed to it or you won't. It's nice to have options though!

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    I fully support those who choose to open carry where it is permitted.

However, there are way too many anti-gun folks and media folks who have too much time on their hands and want to demonize and may do creative things to persecute (not in a legal court room sense) those who choose to exercise this right.

I detest those antis and I wish they would allow second amendment advocates to exercise our rights without any form of their harassing tactics.
    Yes, this is exactly why I will never open carry. I actually feel it chips away at our rights, not furthers the cause. It makes the anti's nervous, and we don't need more complaints rolling into Senator's office, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    Yes, this is exactly why I will never open carry. I actually feel it chips away at our rights, not furthers the cause. It makes the anti's nervous, and we don't need more complaints rolling into Senator's office, etc.
    Alright you oc'ers... move to the back of the bus.

To OP, same concerning OC. I find it is just easier to CC a holstered firearm (outside the pants) with a long sleeve casual buttoned shirt untucked than OC. Even during summer, with a thin cotton, heat is not as much of an issue. I support those who OC, but I'm tired of the idiotic comments from anti's. I don't want to represent 2A when I'm picking up a pizza and my order was wrong, etc.

I also think some people who OC don't have this problem. I'm approachable, and I don't like to advertise when I carry (and I almost always carry).

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    ... I actually feel it chips away at our rights, not furthers the cause. It makes the anti's nervous, and we don't need more complaints rolling into Senator's office, etc.
    While many pro-2a con't understand or just don't care how shocking a firearm can be, some very nice people are scared of firearms. There is a reason we often call them sheep. They are not bad sheep, they are just sheep. Trying to show guard dog teeth just reminds them of the wolf no matter how much you smile.

However, stating OC chips away at 2a is like stating wearing a cross chips away at christianity. While just not for me 99% of the time, I support those who want to legally OC 100% of the time.
    carracer likes this.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No OC in FL, but on trips to the North I have tried it...in GA, TN, an KY...on one seemed to notice or care.
    I agree that few actually notice. On Halloween I carried openly while passing out candy. Absolutely no one gave any sign he or she saw my OWB Glock, including 76 kids and about 30 parents.

Re: Just couldn't do it

I respect the rights and choices of those who wish to OC but it just isn't for me. I feel much more comfortable CCing.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    carracer likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I CC when not working, OC when working.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    The only person that needs to know I'm carrying is me.
    But if you can by all means if thats what you want

Wait, wasn't licensed OC just approved in Oklahoma? I thought OC eroded our rights, rather than improving them. Guess the things I read on here aren't always true.
    pittypat21 likes this.

I carry openly from time to time. I have been OC'ing more often the last few months. I get a few looks once in a while, but I have never been approached about it by anyone, not even a couple LEO's that saw me. I think the key is that I just act naturally. Nothing changes just because I am OC'ing. I'm the same person when I OC as when I CC, which is the same as time when I don't carry at all.
    AK_Brian and carracer like this.

I couldn't do it....don't want the attention.
    I have only seen one person OC in our area, and he was most definitely being noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavak View Post
    I couldn't do it....don't want the attention.
    I have only seen one person OC in our area, and he was most definitely being noticed.
    Did anything negative happen to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I agree that few actually notice. On Halloween I carried openly while passing out candy. Absolutely no one gave any sign he or she saw my OWB Glock, including 76 kids and about 30 parents.
    Noticing that you're from Arapahoe County, how do you deal with the issue that OC isn't legal in Denver? Just avoid the city limits as much as possible or do you just CC when you cross the county line?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links