Just couldn't do it - Page 4

Just couldn't do it

This is a discussion on Just couldn't do it within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by carracer Did anything negative happen to him? No, people were just staring and nudging each other and pointing him out. I only ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Just couldn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Did anything negative happen to him?
    No, people were just staring and nudging each other and pointing him out.
    I only saw him for a couple of minutes, so I don't know if anything went beyond
    that point. Hopefully not. I just wouldn't want that kind of attention.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Noticing that you're from Arapahoe County, how do you deal with the issue that OC isn't legal in Denver? Just avoid the city limits as much as possible or do you just CC when you cross the county line?
    I normally stay out of Denver, just no reasons to go there frequently, and I don't enjoy large cities. But when I do go there, probably to the Botanic Gardens, yes, I simply CC.

I wonder how often people just think you are a LEO/detective in plain clothes open carrying a service weapon? Dressing nice while OCing seems to always ease the stares and concern.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I wanted to OC for an entire day to see how it would differ from my usual CC. I just felt so in the spotlight that I just couldn't do it. There are lots of places in the Nashville TN that do not ban the carrying of handguns yet somehow I was just overwhelmed by the feeling of being "stared at" that it prohibited me from doing so. Opinions?
    While you may decide that OC isn't for you, and that's perfectly fine, may I make a suggestion?

Instead of consciously deciding to OC for a day why not try the "unlayering" approach. If you typically carry OWB and conceal with an untucked shirt and/or outter garment try tucking the shirt in and just concealing with the outter garment. Then if it gets too warm for the outter garment or you just decide to shed a layer, viola', you're open carrying but can easily conceal again if you decide it's not for you. The main key to this approach though is just taking off the outter garment like you normally would, with out thinking about, or futzing with, your firearm. Granted this approach does depend on your typical manner and style of dress but if those permit then it can be a good way to ease into OC.

Good luck and carry on no matter what your method!
    Hulley likes this.
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

I was nervous and hyper-aware my first few times, too. But when I OC, almost nobody seems to notice. It may just be a psychological issue--you're nervous so you assign more weight to what you see than normal. Thus, everyone who glances at you causes you to worry "Are they staring at me because I'm armed?" You wouldn't even notice the same glance in any other circumstance. Just my $0.02.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

I think the real reason I ever hesitated to OC, is because I didn't want to be branded an 'attention whore'. I think that one of the best parts about CC is that no one knows you have it. And for that reason I usually CC. However, when I OC, its a matter of comfort and/or accessibility. I know why I'm carrying, but the idea that anyone would consider me 'just out for attention' or 'showing off or acting tough' was the only real reason I can see for never OCing. I've ventured out into that OC world though and I like it. Not everywhere. Not every time. Just when it makes sense.
    carracer likes this.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

I live in the area and can completely understand. I have just recently started to OC and I have not been able to go a whole day before I put it in my IWB and go on with my day.

Quote Originally Posted by R.C.BG.380 View Post
    I live in the area and can completely understand. I have just recently started to OC and I have not been able to go a whole day before I put it in my IWB and go on with my day.
    I can appreciate that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I wanted to OC for an entire day to see how it would differ from my usual CC. I just felt so in the spotlight that I just couldn't do it. There are lots of places in the Nashville TN that do not ban the carrying of handguns yet somehow I was just overwhelmed by the feeling of being "stared at" that it prohibited me from doing so. Opinions?
    That is one of the great things about America. You dont HAVE to open carry if you dont want to. You dont even have to carry at all. I open carry about 50% of the time. i cost me about 200 dollars for the "priviledge" of carrying concealed. I can see where some folks may not want to pay that much to exercise that specific right.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I was semi nervous about my first OC experience. I first started by OC in my vehicle, in the glovebox, which is allowed per VA law. Then I went out and got a OWB holster with a retention clip. Now I OC everywhere I can get away with it. The only places I have found around here that I can't go are my bank, the mall (which I rarely visit), and the military base where my wife works. I also can't OC at work, which I'm sure most people on here can't, so I leave it locked in the car. There are at least a half dozen eyes on the parking lot all day so it's not really a concern there.

I don't feel "weird" or anything like that. I just find myself constantly checking to make sure I am not accidentally concealing, as that is a huge no-no here in VA. The main reason I am going to get my CHP here is so that I am not at risk for arrest due to "accidental concealment".
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

I prefer concealed. Just dont want the added attention.

Why draw any attention to yourself. That is the last thing I would do is Open Carry because I would be to concerned of being ambushed by a group of thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frado View Post
    Why draw any attention to yourself. That is the last thing I would do is Open Carry because I would be to concerned of being ambushed by a group of thugs.
    I agree. In fact, I think YOU should go the extra mile for all of us and not carry at all thus eliminating any chance of being accosted by BG's

I don't choose to do it, but to me it's like owning an AR. That is also something I don't choose to do (I frankly don't like them. Not because they are scary, but just sort of . . . I dunno . . . soul-less. A rifle should have wood on it, but I digress). However, I support anyone who chooses to open carry, own an AR, hunt bears with a crossbow, or whatever. It's your life. YOU live it YOUR way.
    carracer likes this.

I've considered it but I feel so conspicuous CCing that I am not sure I could do it either. I worry about being accosted by a manager or security because someone reported me. I'm not new to CCing but new to making it a point to do it ALL THE TIME instead of once in a while when my clothing made it convenient. So I am hyper aware and worry constantly about adjusting lumps in my clothing or making sure my shirt hasn't hitched up over the grip aftr bending over. Intellectually I know that twitching at clothing all the time makes it worse, but I find myself doing it before I think about it.

Anyway I am interested but chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by 19ElevenJoe View Post
    I wonder how often people just think you are a LEO/detective in plain clothes open carrying a service weapon? Dressing nice while OCing seems to always ease the stares and concern.
    I've wondered this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I normally stay out of Denver, just no reasons to go there frequently, and I don't enjoy large cities. But when I do go there, probably to the Botanic Gardens, yes, I simply CC.
    I'd have to learn to be aware of exactly where the lines are. I live in Jeffco.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links