OC Rifle in NC

OC Rifle in NC

This is a discussion on OC Rifle in NC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I go shooting my rifle, I walk down the road to my grandparents property about a quarter of a mile down the road. Can ...

Thread: OC Rifle in NC

OC Rifle in NC

When I go shooting my rifle, I walk down the road to my grandparents property about a quarter of a mile down the road. Can I carry my rifle on my back with the sling or do I need to lug my gun case around? Thanks for your input.

You're good, especially since this is a rural area you're talking. This is why rifles and shotguns are displayed openly in the rear window of pickup trucks. If you stick it behind the seat it could be considered concealed, and there's no permit in NC to conceal a long gun so don't do it. In fact it could be considered concealed if you carry it to Grannie's in a case, but I doubt it since it's pretty obvious what it is (or may be) and it's right there in the open. As you say, sling it over your shoulder and you're good. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it was me. Just know that NC has no law banning open carry per se. It varies with the circumstance.

Whereabouts in our great state do you live? I see your Duke logo .. I work at Duke but I'm a State fan.

If your grandparents live in downtown Charlotte then you may be best served by using a case, if you live in a rural area you would probably be fine but the best way is to call the sheriffs office and ask since they'd be the ones responding to a man with a gun on his shoulder call. Also, just be aware that you may be mistaken for a poacher or out of season hunter too so you run a fair chance of talking to the authorities.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I live in Union County its directly southeast of Charlotte/Mecklenburg.

I have a follow up question, how should I carry my magazines? I usually carry them in my coat pocket when out in the field. I just don't want to be breaking any laws, when the county cops drive by me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    In fact it could be considered concealed if you carry it to Grannie's in a case, but I doubt it since it's pretty obvious what it is (or may be) and it's right there in the open.
    That would probably be consider "encased" rather than "Concealed."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That would probably be consider "encased" rather than "Concealed."
    I see your point, but I've read the entire NC Gun Law document and there's no use of the word "encased". My point is it would be open to interpretation by any attending LEO. As Bullseye said it would be a good idea to let the Sheriff's Dept. know you plan to do this and make sure they're cool with it and see if they have any further suggestions.

Here are two great lessons I've learned about law and order:

1) It doesn't matter what the law is .. what counts is what an attending LEO thinks the law is. You'll be arrested or allowed to walk based on that.

2) It doesn't matter what actually happened ... what counts is what a jury is convinced happened or the evidence supports. A lot of wrongly convicted felons will back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    I live in Union County its directly southeast of Charlotte/Mecklenburg.

I have a follow up question, how should I carry my magazines? I usually carry them in my coat pocket when out in the field. I just don't want to be breaking any laws, when the county cops drive by me.
    Check your state's hunting regulations. During some seasons, you can get in trouble for having magazines over a certain capacity. This will only be an issue with your game wardens, but why take a chance. Just be aware of the requirements for any particular season you may be out. I can remember getting grilled by game wardens when they found slugs in my vest during rabbit season.

Every interaction with law enforcement is different, so why cause yourself a problem. Read up on the regulations about carrying ammunition/magazines, and be prepared. In fact, you might just check with the local constabulary ahead of time just to be on the safe side.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sorry State fan too
    love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Links