OC for the first time

This is a discussion on OC for the first time within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll go against the grain and say that unless your occupation is LE or you are an actor in a cowboy movie, there is no ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: OC for the first time

I'll go against the grain and say that unless your occupation is LE or you are an actor in a cowboy movie, there is no need to OC. The element of surprise and unknown is why CC is preferred. Additionally, there are those who have had their weapons taken and used against them-----if this can happen to a uniformed and trained LEO, it can definitely happen to you.

Don't give away your second best tool used in self defense (your first tool is good judgement).
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    I'll go against the grain and say that unless your occupation is LE or you are an actor in a cowboy movie, there is no need to OC. The element of surprise and unknown is why CC is preferred. Additionally, there are those who have had their weapons taken and used against them-----if this can happen to a uniformed and trained LEO, it can definitely happen to you.

Don't give away your second best tool used in self defense (your first tool is good judgement).
    Good luck with this one. Not enough stats available to support that OC makes you more of a target, when compared to the perceived tactical/deterrent advantage of OC. It's a trade off and always will be. My HCP instructor advised against OC and suggested that if a BG is determined to rob/kill/steal at that very moment, you and your gun will just be something he will attempt to eliminate. There is also the possibility that he will see your weapon and move on to easier pickings or hopefully, abandon the whole idea. I open and conceal carry, depending on the situation. My wife and I went to a play a while back and out of respect for the other patrons I chose to CC. If I am in a place where I think the sight of Big E will be a deterrent I will OC in a heartbeat, guess that makes me an actor cowboy.
    carracer likes this.

Agree that situation awareness is your first and best tool.

Disagree with "Element of surprise" It is a tactical OFFENSIVE tool, not a defensive one. If you are using the element of surprise to defend yourself you have already been assaulted by someone that has used the element of surprise on you. You are already down one point.

Congrats I wish I had the guts to do the OC thing here in my small town in S.E. Wisconsin. I DON'T HAVE THE JEWELS.
    darbo likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    Congrats I wish I had the guts to do the OC thing here in my small town in S.E. Wisconsin. I DON'T HAVE THE JEWELS.
    And that is fine! The main thing is to carry. I'm glad you made the decision to protect yourself and your loved ones. It is a responsibility that not everyone is capable of taking. Be aware, Be safe.
    darbo likes this.

And if that's what works for you in your mindset, that's perfectly fine...for you. Many others feel perfectly at ease with open carry and it works for them. What works for one may not be the best for everybody else. Each person needs to find his/her own comfort level as far as mode of carry. We need to get away from the "us vs them" mentality. We are all people who have decided to carry a sidearm to help in the defense of ourselves and our families. We're all on the same side. There is room for different ideas, and we should all be accepting of other people's decisions.
    FUZZ and ONESICKXD like this.

I've been CCing for years. Never OC'd until recently. Not sure why I did it. Mostly out of curiosity I think. I can make, defend or argue most points regarding OC, but I gotta say, I like it. Especially in the winter. I'm a pretty thin guy and if I CC, my firearm is usually concealed under a shirt, under another shirt, under a sweater, under a coat. Lots of layers to get through. I've been wearing a jacket that has zippers on sides to accommodate a firearm and/or duty belt and it works perfectly. Black gun, black holster, against a black coat, no one even notices. In fact, In south eastern PA, i've never seen someone OCing that wasn't a police officer. I've only had 2 comments. One was a curious citizen, the other a rather up-tight retail customer who didn't understand why I needed to carry a gun.
    Either way, I like it. And I look forward to times when I can open carry.
    ONESICKXD likes this.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Washington is not as liberal as most think when it comes to firearms. Even Seattle is mostly open carry friendly. Lots of oc'ers have meetups in the Pikes Market area.
    Try Vermont. I was shocked to learn that, as blue as they vote, how few gun laws they have. It's basically like alcohol there ... if you're old enough and have the money, pick up a nice semi-auto or one of those sweet S&W M&P15 black guns, no questions asked, let's go shootin'!

Good evidence that not all gun enthusiasts vote for the same party.

I do it once in a while, never felt out of place or weird - but I didn't go out of my way to open carry either - just something I do on occasion. I like, and appreciate having the choice. Too many people are against open carry just because they choose not to do so, not everyone does it for attention. I don't like wearing my gun inside my pants, so my holster of choice is a high riding belt model. The only difference in carry for me is whether or not I decide to tuck in my shirt, unlike some people I don't dress around my gun every day, I dress how I'm going to dress. There are OCCASIONS that I'll dress for and change how I carry, but my normal day to day life does not dictate how I carry.

I'm also a believer that your location is in almost direct relation with how you feel about open carry.

I also think that some people who carry concealed look like absolute slobs, wearing pants that are 2 sizes to big and hawaiian shirts one size too large just to cover their carry gun. I'm glad I don't live where you do to the point I feel I have to look like a clown to carry, now that's attention I wouldn't care for.

But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?

Lastly, I always try and present myself in a positive non-threatening manner, open doors for people, say please and thank you and do my best to be a gentleman, how I carry does not change this, but I think it is even more important when open carrying to be the good guy in your actions, I believe it goes a long way.
    darbo and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Lastly, I always try and present myself in a positive non-threatening manner, open doors for people, say please and thank you and do my best to be a gentleman, how I carry does not change this, but I think it is even more important when open carrying to be the good guy in your actions, I believe it goes a long way.
    Words of wisdom, there.

BTW, I do much the same thing, generally, carrying or not. Simple courtesies and showing humanity with those around us. It does go a long way. And when carrying, it helps provide supporting evidence that we're not all drooling rabid gun-toters. Every little bit helps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Words of wisdom, there.

BTW, I do much the same thing, generally, carrying or not. Simple courtesies and showing humanity with those around us. It does go a long way. And when carrying, it helps provide supporting evidence that we're not all drooling rabid gun-toters. Every little bit helps.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    That was in Fayetteville, GA, wonder how it would go down here in the blue state of WA! Maybe I will try sometime.
    Over here in the Red side of Washington OC is no big deal.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Very well put, Thunder.
    I OC, partially, to WM. I have my jacket on, but the barrel of the gun & holster stick out just below the elastic of the jacket.
    I do my shopping at 3:30 am to avoid the crowds. Some of the folks that I see at WM at 3:30 in the morning.............well, you sort of wonder about?:)

had an incident at the local grocery store yesterday. girlfriend asked me to pick a few things on the way to her house. went into winn dixie and was reaching for the top shelf with my left hand and my weapon was slightly exposed. a older woman noticed and politely and very quietly asked if that thing was what i think it was. i told her it was kinda hard to cover up when it was exposed. i figured she would go batshit by the look on her face but re assured her i wasnt a nut. she just smiled and said she never leaves home with her S&W .30 snub. kinda had a chuckle that a late 50 to 60 yr old woman was packing in her purse.

I have yet to have a negative experience OCing, and I'm pretty new still to carrying in general.

I have to agree with the rest, I was -far- more aware of my OCing than anyone else was :P I have a long post I made somewhere else in this subforum about it, but suffice to say it my own paranoia with it the first times far outweighed anyone elses...because they didn't really notice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links