Is it getting out of hand? - Page 3

Is it getting out of hand?

This is a discussion on Is it getting out of hand? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I open carried into my bank Monday. No problems....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Is it getting out of hand?

I open carried into my bank Monday. No problems.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    All the police baiting I see on youtube gets me pissed
    I feel the same...I CC carry here in GA. I have nothing against OC or CC as long as you are not breaking the law of your state is all good. But I've seen several on youtube that try to get a rise out cops. 2 for example.. Cop had pulled over a motorist and a guy that hasn't nothing to do with the traffic stop decides to get out of his car..OC and walked towards the police and traffic stop just to prove a point...and the 2nd one I saw the guy parks his car at a gas station and decides to take a walk along a 4 lane hwy back toward his car while OC'en on his side with the on coming traffic...once again just to prove a point...in cases like this its not a good look in my opinion...
    mg27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    I feel the same...I CC carry here in GA. I have nothing against OC or CC as long as you are not breaking the law of your state is all good. But I've seen several on youtube that try to get a rise out cops. 2 for example.. Cop had pulled over a motorist and a guy that hasn't nothing to do with the traffic stop decides to get out of his car..OC and walked towards the police and traffic stop just to prove a point...and the 2nd one I saw the guy parks his car at a gas station and decides to take a walk along a 4 lane hwy back toward his car while OC'en on his side with the on coming traffic...once again just to prove a point...in cases like this its not a good look in my opinion...
    Yeah, and thats what Im talking about mainly, Its a different breed of people to me seems like they are trying to get major hits on youtube and monotize for their own interests.. I talk to the guy at the gun range and a cop at my gym and he said it sure is legal but with the way the public is they dont even open carry when not in uniform or in the range guys case he open carrys from the car to the shop only.. I agree we need to keep 2A alive but Id much rather see it done in a differnt way. Right now there is no problem getting a CC permit. I dont think baiting police is gonna help a governtment that is already so far to the left and a media that is so Anti gun.. What would work is for real Gun people to get on a news program and explain the importance of 2A and the fact that criminals dont open carry. But the news media is controlled by a few people with one agenda..

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    he made the news again for doing so. the bank tellers rang the panic bell when he walked in. Is it against the LAW? I dont know that answer. I know I wouldnt walk into a bank with a gun.
    According to what I have read of your laws in PA, carrying in a bank is NOT illegal as long as it is not posted. What is it about a bank that makes you think it should be off limits for carry? It's just a place of business, much like your local Walmart, convenience store, etc. Do you carry when you frequent other businesses?
    atctimmy likes this.

Right now there is no problem getting a CC permit. I dont think baiting police is gonna help a governtment that is already so far to the left and a media that is so Anti gun.. What would work is for real Gun people to get on a news program and explain the importance of 2A and the fact that criminals dont open carry. But the news media is controlled by a few people with one agenda..
    If you live in a SHALL ISSUE state there may be no problem getting the permit. Not everyone does though. I live in a may issue state, the sheriff decides if you can have one, each county has different requirements=not so easy for everyone. Other states are even worse.
    The media always seem to find the worst representative of a group to interview. Just look at who gets interviewed after a tornado or other natural disaster. One would think that only trailer parks get hit by twisters!

OC is legal in PA...why is this a problem? I think this much ado about nothing.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh;
    Quote Originally Posted by F350;
    Hey; kinda like those damned attention hound blacks that wouldn't leave the Woolworth's lunch counter or sit in the back of the buss where they belonged!!
    WHOA, DUDE. What the hell is wrong with you?
    Sarcasism ... used to make a point about the absurd.

I agree , people seen as being wrong .... who are only standing up for their rights in the first place.... and being made into the BG's beause they "are" standing up for their rights. It seems a lot of people think or assume "Everyone is supposed to see the logic and rationale as to why this is " just wrong" (sarcasim intended).

The arguments.... being made in here by gun owners about OC.... are at about the same level of logic. It's a bit like the " OMG____ it will be like the "old west" with blood in the streets" comments made by the anti-gun morons. For some reason, these gun owners saying these things ..... seem to think they have some "special opinion" because they conceal carry .... and we're all supposed to know , for some unkown reason, that this is 'better'.... while displaying biases that are no different than the anti-gun morons use.

Ironically.... my mother had thought I had lost my mind...... when I heard that some blacks were going to Woolworth's to sit at the lunch counter to eat.... as a demonstration. This was the 3rd day they would be going there.
    Although I was a "kid" and I'm of Scottish descent, I wanted to go down there and join them. My thoughts were rather simple, who cares what 'race' a person is, if they want to eat lunch there ... what the hell is the issue ? The idea someone couldn't sit there and eat lunch because they were black was just "wrong". After some thought about it though, she came walking up with her purse..... and said "your right" .... let's go downtown to Woolworth's and eat some lunch ( a place she never really went to). Next thing, I was at Woolworths.

At one point I squirreled my way through the crowd and people shouting, and sat down in an open seat next to this much older black gentleman and ordered a soda. He looked at me funny, then looked back at my mother... and asked if that was my mother (I told him yes) , then smiled as he tapped me on the back and told me "thank you ... and thank your mother too" . That had no significance to me at the time. And we sat there and talked. Now, to me... what was the big deal about that ?

I would stand up for these people's rights to OC as well ..... it's legal ... the 2nd Amendment means what it means, and it is a "right" ..... and if you don't like it, don't agree with it, then don't go or don't do it. But don't complain about those that do. I grew up when OPEN CARRY .... was quite common and no one gave it a second thought if someone was OC'g....... and had to watch as this country turned it into something "bad".....

Guess we better not eat lunch at Woolworth's either. Holy Cow, someone might not like it (sarcasism strongly intended)..... and I'm still looking for those dead bodies in the streets if conceal carry was approved. Now, have I been an OC advocate, no ..... but I see no problem with it either.

In the meantime, I'll go to Woolworths, and have a soda.... open carrying .... just because I'm getting tired of this ignorance too.

America ... has never been about what people like .... it's about individual liberty, in spite of what other people think.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

he made the news again for doing so. the bank tellers rang the panic bell when he walked in. Is it against the LAW? I dont know that answer. I know I wouldnt walk into a bank with a gun.
    Yeah, because you would never need a gun in a bank....

Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean that it is a bad idea. I used to hate OC until I tried it. It changed my whole perspective.

I think that you should try it before you knock it... just my $.02
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I find this interesting. Just the kind of thing our Union was telling us to do come into these type of forum and make those kind of posts in fact the text is so close to the samples they put out down right scary.
    "we could all agree .......... " wow Seeing more and more of it.

Well I've stated on some other threads about how when I was living in Kansas City, Mo we could oc without a permit. Here is a video of some people getting crap from the KCPD about having their handguns in the open. Note the manager of the restaurant was telling KCPD that he was happy the group was open carrying in his restaurant. It was a customer that called the police on this group.

16 Open Carriers vs Several Police Officers! - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    According to what I have read of your laws in PA, carrying in a bank is NOT illegal as long as it is not posted. What is it about a bank that makes you think it should be off limits for carry? It's just a place of business, much like your local Walmart, convenience store, etc. Do you carry when you frequent other businesses?
    The problem with this individual is the attention aspect of it. This individual did not even know the calibre of firearm he had holstered while being interviewed. Just a few days afterwards, he walks into a bank OC. Was he breaking the law? No he was not, but he got the attention he asked for from the police officers who showed up. OC gathers quick attention especially from uneducated, uninformed, etc. when it is a relatively new thing ( I know OC is not new in PA, but what is new is the use of it) Like I stated there are benefits to OC. But when you take into consideration that people will go to the lengths this group is going too the situation is as I stated Getting out of Hand. He is doing this for attention, and he s getting the attention that will result in negativity for not only him self and his group, but others who are not asking for the attention.

I have absolutely no problem with OC as a way of exercising our rights. As I said in an earlier post, I'm all for it, and I carry openly fairly often now (weather permitting). However, I think we need to keep one axiom in mind - with rights comes much responsibility (in this case, to act responsibly with our rights to carry). This means doing away with ego. It means brushing the chip off our shoulders. It means carrying as often as you can (where and when allowed by law), whether openly or concealed, and doing so in a confident, self assured, but non-confrontational way.

Let's ask ourselves a question. How is it that the vast majority of open carriers are never harassed by LE, or even usually by fellow citizens? In point of fact, if you're carrying properly (not drawing attention to yourself by your specific carry rig, or your actions/attitude), then most people won't even notice. How is that possible??? I'll tell you how. It's possible because the vast majority of us just strap on our sidearms and go about our daily business. We don't have anything to prove. We aren't looking for a confrontation with anyone. We are simply prepared, should we meet up with certain elements who would do us harm. We aren't looking to make a political statement. The very fact that we do this is our political statement. We don't need "open carry ninjas" intentionally putting themselves into situations that will, of course, draw attention to themselves, and not in a positive way. They do us much more harm than good. Every time we carry, we are the ambassadors. So, the best thing we can do to keep our 2A rights and make our position stronger is to simply exercise those rights by carrying as often as we can. Don't go looking for trouble. If a LEO stops you and asks you a couple questions, answer them, don't jump in with "No, I don't have to give you my ID! Are you detaining me? I'm just exercising my 2A right to carry! You have no right to detain me! No, I do not consent!" And so on.

So, I say carry as often as you can legally do so. Hold your head up (don't look down at the ground). Be courteous to the people you come in contact with. This will get us much more positive results than we can hope to achieve by going the "open carry ninja" way.
    norb5150 and LouisianaMan like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    The OC 'do gooders' in CA screwed the rest of the hunters and normal citizens trying to just transport a legal firearm to the point of use. LEARN FROM IT!

Not to mention how much they hurt the fight for a change from 'May Issue' to 'Shall Issue' in CA.

If you really want attention, go OC in a Walmart and make sure to blow your own brains out, instead of ruining it for the greater cause.

My opinion. Please IM me if you do not agree. I will offer a very Civil discussion on my feelings on this issue.
    I think the main issue may be with the California legislators, and not the OC'ers. That is one messed up stated.
    carracer likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have OC'd for the past 2 weeks:)
    Any deer phone in a MWAG call???

VIP Member
    The problem with this individual is the attention aspect of it. This individual did not even know the calibre of firearm he had holstered while being interviewed. Just a few days afterwards, he walks into a bank OC. Was he breaking the law? No he was not, but he got the attention he asked for from the police officers who showed up. OC gathers quick attention especially from uneducated, uninformed, etc. when it is a relatively new thing ( I know OC is not new in PA, but what is new is the use of it) Like I stated there are benefits to OC. But when you take into consideration that people will go to the lengths this group is going too the situation is as I stated Getting out of Hand. He is doing this for attention, and he s getting the attention that will result in negativity for not only him self and his group, but others who are not asking for the attention.
    Thanks for the additional info. I don't know what the guy did in the bank, but if he behaved himself and did not make threatening gestures or say something odd (e.g., "Howdy Teller, how do you like my gun on my hip?") then it is really the bank's problem.

My view on open carry "attention grabbers" is the following. There are negative connotations but also benefits. The negatives are the videos and the news stories - e.g., "Man detained by police for carrying rifle in downtown <CITY NAME>." The uneducated (with respect to gun laws) reader is initially shocked. But as the reader reads on, he or she may learn that the man was "released" because what he was doing was legal. While it's not be best type of salesmanship, it is sometimes effective in educating the public.

Here in GA a lot of progress has been made by both OC'ers and CC'ers with respect to the where, when and types of carry. Much of the progress is the result police officers *that were not properly trained* with respect to weapons carry unlawfully detaining persons for carrying weapons lawfully. The persons that were detained were often just average Joes and Janes out for a lunch or running an errand. Every once in a while the person that was detained was what some could call a Jack Arse. Regardless, as a result, many jurisdictions have implemented training on weapons carry and interacting with lawful carriers.

On a related note, take for instance "Open Carry Meets." Years ago people were shocked at such meetings. (My god, a throng of armed civilians ordering pancakes at IHOP!!! Call the police!) Nowadays the OC meets are viewed by those that don't have an appreciation for carrying with the skepticism that accompanies an intolerance of a lifestyle choice of which they do not approve, but not with the alarm of witnessing an unlawful act. Instead of a call to the police, the reaction is a roll of the eyes. To me, that's progress.

I would not get too upset about OC'ers that are "attention hounds." I don't think they really "hurt the cause," if you will. Besides, once we run out of Black Friday videos, what other people can we mock the other 364 days of the year?
    norb5150 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links