Is it getting out of hand?

This is a discussion on Is it getting out of hand? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PEF ... Here in GA a lot of progress has been made by both OC'ers and CC'ers with respect to the where, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Is it getting out of hand?

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    ... Here in GA a lot of progress has been made by both OC'ers and CC'ers with respect to the where, when and types of carry. Much of the progress is the result police officers *that were not properly trained* with respect to weapons carry unlawfully detaining persons for carrying weapons lawfully. The persons that were detained were often just average Joes and Janes out for a lunch or running an errand. Every once in a while the person that was detained was what some could call a Jack Arse. Regardless, as a result, many jurisdictions have implemented training on weapons carry and interacting with lawful carriers. ...
    Be very careful in DeKalb County (part of Atlanta). The police chief in DeKalb County has determined that your Georgia Weapons License is not adequate proof of the legality of having your firearm.

If stopped in DeKalb County, you must have the original receipt showing the purchase of your firearm in addition to having your GWL. No receipt means confiscation of your firearm until you can prove actual ownership of the weapon.

Talk about a load of bull. The GCO (Georgia Carry Organization) has a number of complaints issued against the DeKalb County Police Department as well as its police chief. As far as I know, this is still an ongoing issue.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Be very careful in DeKalb County (part of Atlanta). The police chief in DeKalb County has determined that your Georgia Weapons License is not adequate proof of the legality of having your firearm.

If stopped in DeKalb County, you must have the original receipt showing the purchase of your firearm in addition to having your GWL. No receipt means confiscation of your firearm until you can prove actual ownership of the weapon.

Talk about a load of bull. The GCO (Georgia Carry Organization) has a number of complaints issued against the DeKalb County Police Department as well as its police chief. As far as I know, this is still an ongoing issue.
    1} Go buy a Hi-Point
    2} Take your GA permit, hang Hi-Point in cheap holster on your side
    3} Walk down the the main drag of DeKalb County
    4} Retire early
    pittypat21 likes this.

Along this way of thinking next thread will be. Is it going to far really do we need all of these people CC in the mall after all we have security and come on how often does anyone need a CC at the bank. After all we don't carry at school and every thing is fine...............
    Pretty soon the only time you need your CC is in your own home, then we may need a law saying it can not be loaded and must have a trigger lock and be locked in a safe wake up Gun owns your being had.

While I don't OC and don't think it is a wise idea in most locations, I can't remember when I last saw someone OCing. I live in Pa where it is legal. So if you don't hang out with OCers or OC yourself, where are all these OCers?

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    While I don't OC and don't think it is a wise idea in most locations, I can't remember when I last saw someone OCing. I live in Pa where it is legal. So if you don't hang out with OCers or OC yourself, where are all these OCers?
    They are every where and they are carrying machine guns and AK47's it is a dangerous problem we can all agree that must be stopped right now before more die.
    Did you know that people open carrying weapons on public streets how can we allow this our kids are at risk.
    This is the kind of stuff I hear at work everyday

VIP Member

Wow. If that's true there's a host of violations. Illegal seizure, unlawful detainment, etc.

(Hopefully they don't require proof of ownership of my clothes....)

That's news to me. I have never been pulled over in DeKalb, so I can't give first-hand info, but I will ask a friend of mine that is on the DeKalb County PD and report back. A quick internet search didn't yield any evidence of this (other than this post... wow).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    They are every where and they are carrying machine guns and AK47's it is a dangerous problem we can all agree that must be stopped right now before more die.
    Did you know that people open carrying weapons on public streets how can we allow this our kids are at risk.
    This is the kind of stuff I hear at work everyday
    I see you are from Wisconsin. Your coworkers are drinking way too much milk.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    The OC 'do gooders' in CA screwed the rest of the hunters and normal citizens trying to just transport a legal firearm to the point of use. LEARN FROM IT!

Not to mention how much they hurt the fight for a change from 'May Issue' to 'Shall Issue' in CA.

If you really want attention, go OC in a Walmart and make sure to blow your own brains out, instead of ruining it for the greater cause.

My opinion. Please IM me if you do not agree. I will offer a very Civil discussion on my feelings on this issue.
    It's people like this that scare me the most. An emotional over reactive statement from an individual that could very well become unstable and cause harm. This is the type of thing that does no good for the firearms community.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    That's news to me. I have never been pulled over in DeKalb, so I can't give first-hand info, but I will ask a friend of mine that is on the DeKalb County PD and report back. A quick internet search didn't yield any evidence of this (other than this post... wow).
    Following up as promised... talked to my friend on DeKalb PD and she said she has never heard of any such thing.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The OC 'do gooders' in CA screwed the rest of the hunters and normal citizens trying to just transport a legal firearm to the point of use. LEARN FROM IT!

Not to mention how much they hurt the fight for a change from 'May Issue' to 'Shall Issue' in CA.
    I am thinking it wasnt the law biding citizens that caused this but the politicians you all elected out there. kind of like blaming someone for stoppng at a stop sign to me. The hunters and citizens got just what they asked for and should stop whining. It is what it is.
    carracer likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member

If you really want attention, go OC in a Walmart and make sure to blow your own brains out, instead of ruining it for the greater cause.

My opinion. Please IM me if you do not agree. I will offer a very Civil discussion on my feelings on this issue.
    I read post after post from you complaining about interference with 2A rights, but then you post something like this??
    d2jlking likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

California... hmph... the exception to the rule.... Common sense eludes them.

If small groups of people in California acted openly Gay in coffee houses as an attempt to get Gay rights... well, they'd have 'em. (and they do. Well, most of 'em, anyway).

Unfortunately, the reverse came true for those open carrying, in an attempt to get rights ALREADY GUARANTEED by the Federal Constitution.

I champion the good intentions of those who open carry for only the reason that they are trying to get the people to realize it is a God given, Constitutionally guaranteed, RIGHT. In this country... or anywhere for that matter... You have the right to defend yourself.

I do cringe every time I see gaggles of OCers, in fear of "the California effect." But I understand what they are trying to do. And, after all, the same tactic has worked for Prohibition, for Suffrage, for Civil rights, For Gay rights, for women's rights.

Why doesn't it work for Gun rights?

I have a bit of a theory... but it's in formative stages.

Those protests that worked were for "oppressed minorities." The victims of drinking (and the desire for an income tax). Women couldn't vote, at that time women were in the minority. Civil rights for blacks... another minority. Gay rights... another minority.

Now. Gun owners. Also a minority.... but at 47% of the population... hardly an ill represented minority. Oppressed? Hardly (at least in the eyes of the rest of the population). Who's going to "oppress" a man with a gun?

Maybe this is what they think

47% of the population (based on some figures) already have guns.... What they seem to want is their cake, and eat it, too.

Look, the constitution guarantees that you can have your guns... We just wanna make sure that bad guys can't have 'em... and how are we supposed to tell the good guys from the bad guys if any old body can carry a gun on their hip?

And how do we keep the bad guys from getting 'em if we don't make the good guys jump through a few hoops... a few to get 'em... a few more to carry 'em... a few more in some states (proposed, or fact? I am not sure) to get permits to carry in "restricted areas."

We all know this is fallacious logic... Criminals get guns and carry 'em anywhere they want, without jumpin' through a single hoop. They carry them regardless of special rules, special taxes (which they don't pay anyway), laws, or general opinion... Heck, they carry and use them at funerals... no decorum whatsoever...

So, the general public sees the gun the way prohibitionists saw liquor. If liquor was unavailable... no more women would get beat, no more children would be homeless and hungry. But all prohibition did was make the criminals richer... and fill the coffers of the treasury with a new income tax to replace the 33% of tax revenue that had come from liquor sales...

We already pay federal taxes on guns and ammo.... if you outlaw them, you will only give the government reason to find somewhere else to get the money...
    carracer, Doghandler and norb5150 like this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Is it getting out of hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Remember:
    That notification may as well have read "We've decided to ensure every thread in the OC forum turns in to a debate on the virtue of open carry. Have fun with the nonsensical banter"
    carracer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    But in places where cc is allowed, Why let a potential BG know you got a means of defending yourself from his/her actions
    One reason I can imagine is that, for someone who applied for a CC permit and was denied for something trivial that occurred 20 years ago, OC may be his only legal option to exercise the right of armed self defense.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links