Can Anyone Answer This OC Question?? - Page 2

Can Anyone Answer This OC Question??

This is a discussion on Can Anyone Answer This OC Question?? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wait until you are 21. Taking Internet advice and jeapordizing your future ability to get a permit is not a smart approach....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Anyone Answer This OC Question??

mkh
    Just wait until you are 21.

Taking Internet advice and jeapordizing your future ability to get a permit is not a smart approach.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Sorry for the long story but I don't think you will have much success as by federal law you are "prohibited" from owning a hand gun under the age of 21 to best of my knowledge.
    I believe the law says persons under 21 are prohibited from buying handguns from a FFL. I don't have a cite for this, but IIRC, federal law states that a person only needs to be 18 to receive a handgun as a gift or to purchase a handgun from a non-licensed individual provided the gifter/seller resides in the same state. I haven't looked into PA laws regarding purchasing handguns, so PA may take a stricter stance than is put forth by federal law. Anyway, it seems to be a moot point though because, correct me if I'm wrong, now the license to carry is just that and not gun-specific.

To the OP, I wouldn't mess with concealing only a portion of the gun to qualify as OC by leaving a certain percentage of the gun exposed. It just seems you would be leaving too much open to interpretation and inviting the potential for some major hassles. I know many people that have a hard enough time telling the difference between 1 and 2 feet, let alone the 1 to 2 inches you may be talking about when leaving only a percentage of the gun exposed. The best bet would be to carry it fully in the open. Most people either don't notice or seem to not care, but if you're concerned about it, dress in such a way that the gun blends into your clothing a little better (i.e. black or dark shirt, black belt and holster, and darker jeans for the typical black polymer gun).

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I believe the law says persons under 21 are prohibited from buying handguns from a FFL. I don't have a cite for this, but IIRC, federal law states that a person only needs to be 18 to receive a handgun as a gift or to purchase a handgun from a non-licensed individual provided the gifter/seller resides in the same state. I haven't looked into PA laws regarding purchasing handguns, so PA may take a stricter stance than is put forth by federal law. Anyway, it seems to be a moot point though because, correct me if I'm wrong, now the license to carry is just that and not gun-specific.

To the OP, I wouldn't mess with concealing only a portion of the gun to qualify as OC by leaving a certain percentage of the gun exposed. It just seems you would be leaving too much open to interpretation and inviting the potential for some major hassles. I know many people that have a hard enough time telling the difference between 1 and 2 feet, let alone the 1 to 2 inches you may be talking about when leaving only a percentage of the gun exposed. The best bet would be to carry it fully in the open. Most people either don't notice or seem to not care, but if you're concerned about it, dress in such a way that the gun blends into your clothing a little better (i.e. black or dark shirt, black belt and holster, and darker jeans for the typical black polymer gun).
    I don't know about private sales. It may be possible but at that time "I" could not get anyone to make the transfer even as a gift from my father. They stated I had to be 21.

Yes when PA went shall issue the individual became licensed not the particular firearm. That was quite a story in and of itself. It was one of the first states to do so and the NRA spent mega bucks to help the cause. I was very active in that battle working wit Dr. Allen Krug from the NRA and several large gun clubs in central and northeast PA. We also received considerable help from Senator Arlen Specter. He was a different type of politician at that juncture in time and quite in tune with conservative values.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Open carry in PA, as I understand it is in a holster, exposed at all times. You can OC with an IWB holster in PA, but that is asking for trouble, in my opinion. I would stick with an OWB holster. Just make sure that if you are wearing a coat, that it does not cover ANY potion of your gun EVER, unless you are on your own property....

You might want to look into getting a non-resident Maine permit. As I understand it, you can get it at 18, and can legally carry concealed in PA at 18. However, I am not a lawyer, so you will definitely want to do more research on that one.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

thanks for the imput everyone i guess the maine liscense is the way to go just wanted to know my open carry options

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links