Can Anyone Answer This OC Question??

This is a discussion on Can Anyone Answer This OC Question?? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I,ve been looking online for hours and cant find an answer anywhere. In PA, open carry is legal to people 18, 19, and 20, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Answer This OC Question??

Can Anyone Answer This OC Question??

I,ve been looking online for hours and cant find an answer anywhere. In PA, open carry is legal to people 18, 19, and 20, but not cc. im 18 and want to carry a gun, but i don't know exactly how much of the firearm must be visible. i want to carry in accordance with the law, while not in a way to sat "hey look at me i've got big gun and i want attention". how much must show? ive read in some places its a third must be visible at all times other places its twenty-five percent. i however found nothing on PA. If anyone can answer this it will be greatly appriciated.
    Also any open carry holster options that you like that dont stick out like a sore thumb? I really dont like to attract attention to my self this is strictly until i turn twentyone and can get my ccl.

2. Remove Ads

That's pretty sticky ground in some states, I'd ask a competent 2A lawyer in your area.

I know one thing here in PA once you get in a car its considered concealed.. Not sure on the age, i got my Ltcf at 21. Call the sherriffs office or an like He said^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    I know one thing here in PA once you get in a car its considered concealed.. Not sure on the age, i got my Ltcf at 21. Call the sherriffs office or an like He said^^^^^
    yeah i heard about the car thing i like to walk most of the time "anything you'd ever need is ten minutes walk from my house" and yes you must be 21

On another post someone just said you can open carry at 18 in PA, but I would make sure before strapping one on the side. Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    That's pretty sticky ground in some states, I'd ask a competent 2A lawyer in your area.
    When I lived in St Louis, OC was supposed to be legal, but the district attorney and the municipal courts took the position that if ANY of the firearm was hidden, the weapon was considered concealed. That meant it was considered a concealed weapon even if it was in your hand, since your hand concealed part of the weapon.

I understand things have changed since I lived there, but as Thunder71 said, some states, or jurisdictions can be very confusing.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

I cannot see anything pertaining to your request here.

Try this SITE,,, Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org

From the above site;
    Open Carry - Yes, It's Legal

In Pennsylvania, persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*, cities of the first class** (Philadelphia) and where prohibited specifically by statute.

Ref.: Title 18, ch.61, Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act & Commonwealth v. Ortiz

* Open carry in a vehicle requires a valid PA License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) or a carry license from ANY other state. Ref: Title 18 6106

** Open carry in a city of the first class requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from a reciprocal state. Ref: Title 18 6108, Title 18 6106

Carrying concealed (with LTCF) or openly in establishments that serve alcohol is allowed in Pennsylvania.

There is no stipulation in neither the PA code nor case law that a PA LTCF holder must carry concealed. Furthermore, lawful open carry of a firearm is NOT grounds for revocation of a PA LTCF as it is neither an illegal nor dangerous act
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

already read the whole thing before hand but no one knows what is defined as openly carrying

This information is from over 40 years ago so the proverbial grain of salt applies. I tried this when I was 19 as I recall and this is what I was told by the county sheriff and local chief of police of a mid state PA county.

Yes PA will issue a permit to 18 year old's and above, "if" you can show ownership of a hand gun. My father was willing to "gift" a handgun to me and transfer ownership but guess what...Under federal law only 21 year old's and above could buy or receive legal ownership of said handgun. No LGS, sheriff or the chief would go up against the feds.
    The town I lived in was the county seat and we had a US court in the county court house and at that time had resident FBI and BATF agents. I made an appointment with the BATF agent and explained what I wanted to do, showed him the PA law, advised him the sheriff and chief both agreed to issue if I could show ownership and was there anything he could do to help me. He was polite and professional but clearly indicated the law was the law...

So I waited another 2 years, purchased my first pistol ( a 4 screw M27 Smith, which like a jerk I sold 10 years later) of many. At that time in PA permits were issued "to the gun" of which you proved legal ownership so you were able to get your permit within a few days if they had a mind to.

Sorry for the long story but I don't think you will have much success as by federal law you are "prohibited" from owning a hand gun under the age of 21 to best of my knowledge.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

There are clothing options that will allow open carry but still "hide" it a little. There are carry-specific vests and light jackets that have a ~6" zipper up the side. You can zip the jacket around the gun, which helps to camoflauge it somewhat. Until someone can find a definitive answer, I would make sure that none of the gun is actually covered. Also, carry a smaller gun if you can. A small 9mm may not be quite as obvious as a full size 1911 or similar. Just my two cents.

Welcome to the forum. You should check out a group who is very knowledgeable in your states laws: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

In VA...if it can be determined it is a firearm, it's open carry. No measurement or like criteria exists. If it looks like a firearm---it's OC. IWB with the grip showing=OC

Check out the PA FOA forum...they could best answer your question.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You should check out a group who is very knowledgeable in your states laws: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

In VA...if it can be determined it is a firearm, it's open carry. No measurement or like criteria exists. If it looks like a firearm---it's OC. IWB with the grip showing=OC

Check out the PA FOA forum...they could best answer your question.
    This is the best advice. Contact PAFOA. You could also check OpenCarry.org for information.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OP if you get a Maine CCW at 18 years old you can conceal carry and carry in the car in PA ;) and OC to your hearts content any other time
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    OP if you get a Maine CCW at 18 years old you can conceal carry and carry in the car in PA ;) and OC to your hearts content any other time
    Negative. While he may get a Maine CCW, he's subject to the laws of the state he's in, regardless of permit...thus, if PA CC law= 21 y/o, then he can't carry until he's 21. If he's in Maine, then he could carry at 18 (if that is the law).

OP: See the PA FOA site for guidance. Do not carry concealed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Negative. While he may get a Maine CCW, he's subject to the laws of the state he's in, regardless of permit...thus, if PA CC law= 21 y/o, then he can't carry until he's 21. If he's in Maine, then he could carry at 18 (if that is the law).

OP: See the PA FOA site for guidance. Do not carry concealed.

Sorry but you are wrong...for example Georgia issues at 21 but neighboring state Alabama issues at 18 and has reciprocity. Georgia law doesnt not say people under 21 can't carry. Only that you have to be 21 to be eligible for a GWCL. PA honors any states license to carry in a car(even ones they dont have reciprocity with) but to conceal carry you must have a license from a state reciprocity and Maine has that with PA and PA law is silent on resident carrying on non resident licenses. A lot of people in Philly bypass Philly and get out of state CCW's because Philly makes it burdensome to get a LTCF

I have my PA LTCF, Fl CCW and my GA GWCL. I also post on PAFOA as I frequent the state and I'm considering moving up that way right now
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links