Question regarding Act 235

This is a discussion on Question regarding Act 235 within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone I am new to this site but I have questions regarding the Act 235 Process in PA. I just did my psych and ...

Thread: Question regarding Act 235

Hello Everyone I am new to this site but I have questions regarding the Act 235 Process in PA. I just did my psych and medical eval yesterday and will be going to the State Police Barracks tomorrow to get my finger prints and turn in my application. After I turn in my application about how long does it take to get the approval letter so I can register for the course? After I have completed and passed the course how long does it take to get my certification card? I am assuming I can not carry a weapon until I physically have the card in hand. Also the school I am looking at offers Baton, OC Spray, Handcuffing and Rifle certifications. For people that work at places that require Act 235 would this make me more hireable?

Lastly what does the Act 235 course entail? Is it really an intense course? I am a novice shooter, since I do not have much experience will I have a problem passing the course?

I'll answer these, one by one, to the best of my knowledge.
    1) I got my letter in less than 2 weeks. your experience may differ.
    2) I got my card in about 2 weeks. again, your experience may differ.
    3) You are correct, you cannot carry a firearm, in context of employment, until you have the card.
    4) Some companies require certification with OC, Baton and handcuffs. Some offer it after hire and will pay for it. Some don't. In my experience, I went to work for a company that required their own certification with firearms, OC, baton and cuffs, in addition to PA State certification. So I assume it may make you a more desirable employee in some cases, not in others.

I hope I've answered your questions. Just curious, where are you looking to take the course?
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Thank you for responding. I am not one that likes waiting so this process is killing me. I have called all of the schools that I am thinking about going to and it seems that once I get the approval letter I can get right in a class. I wish there was a way to pay more to expidite this. Do you live in the Philadelphia area? If so do you know any place I should look at for jobs?

Links