Is a request for your ID really an infringement of your rights?

This is a discussion on Is a request for your ID really an infringement of your rights? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye If your original post you made no mention of law enforcement receiving a man with a gun call with that ...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Is a request for your ID really an infringement of your rights?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If your original post you made no mention of law enforcement receiving a man with a gun call with that you are correct, they are doing their job of investigating. My point is that if you are engaged in a totally legal activity and not doing anything to draw attention to yourself, why should there be any interaction at all with law enforcement?

If they get a call for a man with a gun and they see you, walking down the sidewalk open carrying along with carrying a grocery bag and your family walking by you what is the reason to carry on the investigation if you are obviously not a threat?

I ask strictly for the purpose of discussion, I never have had a problem with providing ID when asked but it does give one reason to inquire as to why a totally legal act is justification to take up the time of a officer of the law.

What next, reporting someone looking in shop windows in the middle of the day while walking down main street because they "may" be thinking about robbery?

I just wish that common sense really was common.

If someone calls in with a man with a gun report the question should be asked by the 911 operator "what is he doing?", if it's just walking down the street with a holstered sidearm then they need to be educated by that 911 operator that the action they are seeing is totally legal. (Of course based on state and local laws)

Not trying to say you're wrong in any way, just providing food for thought.
    understood, I did not say anything bout MWAG call in the post. Thank you for posting on the subject.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    And "infringing" my rights or not it is no skin off of my nose to just produce ID. Geez. Get over it folks.

If asked to come into my house the answer is no. That is not a public place.
    I submit sir; your thinking is dangerous to free people everywhere.

I further submit, your thinking is precisely how the Nazi's began to take power; please, read your history.

We have already started to take steps closer to a police state. We are closer to it now than 20 years ago.

People like you frighten me far more than guns.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Answer is yes or no depending on the specifics of the request..............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

One has to remember one man's mountain is another man's mole hill. We do not live in a county where we have to produce identification. I guess some times it isn't about what is easy it is about what is right. The police do not always know the laws and this should be known. The police are not allowed to stop a person just because they oc. They are not allowed to stop a person who open carries just because someone called about it. This has been proven in law. Sometimes we need to worry about the mole hills. When we stop worrying about the mole hills they have already taken the mountain.
    Crowman, oakchas and DmaxSurveyor like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

As others have stated, there is no reason to produce an ID where open carry is legal and no permit is required, or any place where there is a specific law stating you must produce an ID when asked by a LEO(I'm not familiar with any of the latter, but I'm pretty sure they exist).

If a permit is required to OC and you are OC'ing, then shut up, give him your permit, and plead the 5th to any questions as respectfully as possible.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Ask for a discussion on blue and you get every color in the rainbow.

If asked professionally for ID, produce and ask why.
    If asked to search your vehicle ask why. Whether or not you premit it is up to you but both of these happen in what is essentially public so there is a chance the LEO is just doing their job. And "infringing" my rights or not it is no skin off of my nose to just produce ID. Geez. Get over it folks.

If asked to come into my house the answer is no. That is not a public place.

In my opinion it is pretty straight forward.
    I fear that way of thinking far more than I fear guns.

I'm sure when the SS questioned neighbors concerning the name of the people living down the street, they too felt it was no skin off their nose to provide the info.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    I fear that way of thinking far more than I fear guns.

I'm sure when the SS questioned neighbors concerning the name of the people living down the street, they too felt it was no skin off their nose to provide the info.
    Be polite and courteous to everybody you meet, but have a plan to kill them if things go wrong. Same thinking applies when you talk about government, but just don't let them find out your plans...

Do any of you guys here a clicking noise when you're talking on the phone?

It is not against your constitutional rights to request to see your ID, however if they are trying to compel you to provide ID under threat of arrest, that's another story.
    Jemsaal likes this.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I think this video is exactly what this discussion is about:

Note: Interaction doesn't start until 2:35 if you want to skip boring vlogging.

Senior Moderator
    Why does it have to be all or nothing?

The place to argue these things is not the side of the road, IMHO.

Go ahead and provide ID and follow up with a complaint to the department... don't stop bothering them until someone with actual authority gets bauk to you.

Why wait for the incident? Get involved with your community and its officers. If you hear of open carry incidents write letters to your chiefs of police, state police, whomever. Write a letter to your editor. Do these things BEFORE you ever get stopped with a MWAG call.

I find it rather backward that open carriers get all up in arms about educating people and officers but many will only seem to do said educating through confrontation (the worse environment for your points to be taken seriously).

There are a million ways to get your voice heard and stand up for your rights besides verbally duking it out on the side of the road.

If that's what you want to do, be my guest, I just think there are more productive ways to stand up for whatever rights you feel are being neglected.

Its about erosion of rights
    Its about Law Enforcement being trained to learn the job, they are enforcing
    Its about not having someone who carries a gun seem anymore out of place than someone who carries a potted plant.
    Its about having to prove something, for nothing, making a citizen guilty until he proves himself innocent.

Give a little and government will take a lot..
    carracer, Crowman and minimalbrat like this.

Depends on your States laws on ID. By law in Wisconsin they can not require an ID for anyone has nothing to do with OC. But LEO will arrest you anyway
    So much for rights and all that they do what ever they want

I fought the law and the...law won.
    I fought the law and the...law won.
    Sonny Curtis, circa 1958
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    P.S. I think the guy in the video did a pretty good job. So did the officers.

VIP Member
    Since I am law abiding I don't have a problem with it or my local LE. We got good people in LE around here. They seem to "care". I guess it depends on where you are. I can see problems in some parts of the country.
    Maxwell47, Spirit51 and CaptSmith like this.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links