Open Carry for newbies

This is a discussion on Open Carry for newbies within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear. So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 77
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Open Carry for newbies

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,994
    If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear.
    So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar for a day, month, year or a fake RPG down the street or a handgun into a bank followed by a video camera waiting for the police to be called they would then use this inaction/non exercising of ones right to ban the action/exercising ones rights of open carry?

    So since there has not been a flagged burned on national television in the last couple of months then the Supreme Court will sneak in and ban this acts protection under the 1st Amendment? I have not exercised my 1st Amendment right of free speech in a public venue, in the US anyway, in a very long time does that mean that it will become banned?

    In regards to the OP. As has been stated people carry for different reasons. Self defense or to make a statement to each his own. To me the problem is the ones who are doing it to make a statement and get into a confrontation have a negative affect on those of us that carry for self defense.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,206
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar for a day, month, year or a fake RPG down the street or a handgun into a bank followed by a video camera waiting for the police to be called they would then use this inaction/non exercising of ones right to ban the action/exercising ones rights of open carry?

    So since there has not been a flagged burned on national television in the last couple of months then the Supreme Court will sneak in and ban this acts protection under the 1st Amendment? I have not exercised my 1st Amendment right of free speech in a public venue, in the US anyway, in a very long time does that mean that it will become banned?
    To be fair, there are plenty of folks/groups gunning for limits on the 1A, 2A. It almost never ceases. Most certainly (IMO), if we don't fight these ongoing attempts, we're almost assured of seeing the practical ability to speak, own/carry be further infringed.

    But, as you say, comparing carrying for defensive purposes hardly equates to the logical extreme of the argument (RPG's and such). And pursuing such extremes hardly supports the right to carry, the extreme situations (and even the more mundane faux pas) seem to embolden the haters all the more. Which is the whole point of the criticism against aggressive baiting.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array Pythius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    462
    Here's one very logical argument AGAINST OC.

    if everyone who carries a firearm does it concealed, than ANYONE could possibly be carrying a gun, which is a great deterent against thieves, rapists, etc.

    however, if everyone who carries a firearm does it openly, then rapists, thievs, etc....can automatically assume that if you're not carring an exposed firearm...then you're not carrying at all.

    concealed carry creates the possibility that we are ALL...carrying.

  5. #19
    Ex Member Array AdBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Here's one very logical argument AGAINST OC.

    if everyone who carries a firearm does it concealed, than ANYONE could possibly be carrying a gun, which is a great deterent against thieves, rapists, etc.

    however, if everyone who carries a firearm does it openly, then rapists, thievs, etc....can automatically assume that if you're not carring an exposed firearm...then you're not carrying at all.

    concealed carry creates the possibility that we are ALL...carrying.
    agree

  6. #20
    Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    1,291
    And the debate goes on! Open or CC whatever works for the responsible carrying individual.
    carracer likes this.

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    And the debate goes on! Open or CC whatever works for the responsible carrying individual.
    The bolded part of your post above is what's important here. Responsibility is the key.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Quite simple..and as others have said, I too have posted several responses.


    If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear.
    It hasn't happened in my state. A few people here do open carry but by and large it's seldom seen in populated areas and it's been legal here for a long time and that right shows no sign of disappearing.

    As for me, I carry a gun with no other agenda than self defense. That purpose seems best served to me by carrying in a manner that doesn't draw attention to myself.
    glockman10mm likes this.

  9. #23
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    20,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Here's one very logical argument AGAINST OC.

    if everyone who carries a firearm does it concealed, than ANYONE could possibly be carrying a gun, which is a great deterent against thieves, rapists, etc.

    however, if everyone who carries a firearm does it openly, then rapists, thievs, etc....can automatically assume that if you're not carring an exposed firearm...then you're not carrying at all.

    concealed carry creates the possibility that we are ALL...carrying.
    Sorry, I fail to see the logic of it.

    So I should not do something that is perfectly legal, because others refuse to take responsibility for their own safety?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array bklynboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    563
    I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons since - IMHO - the tactical disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,206
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons ...
    Assumption.

    For many (me, too), it's more comfortable and often simpler to deal with. No "politics" or "statements" involved.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,469

    Re: Open Carry for newbies

    I don't do it for tactical or political reasons, I just don't like a gun in my waistband. I carry on my belt in high slide holsters, if I'm tucking my shirt in that day I guess I'm open carrying, if not I guess I'm carrying concealed.

    Simple as that really.



    Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

  13. #27
    Member Array TKshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?
    I agree with this! I see so much OC bashing. Carrying is important. If you want to conceal carry then do that, but don't put me down if I want to open carry. I am not trying to make a point, or am politically motivated, or want to feel tough. I strap my gun on either IWB or OWB and sometimes it's out in the open. I am not a tough guy(or in my case a woman). I enjoy exercising my right to protect myself in any fashion I deem necessary that day.
    Thunder71 and carracer like this.

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Our individual mode of carry matters not in the least. The bigger point is that we carry whenever/wherever it is legal to do so. Our attitude while carrying matters much more than our choice of carry methods.
    carracer likes this.

  15. #29
    Member Array AK_Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons since - IMHO - the tactical disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages

    Well we all know how assumptions go....

    That there is even this division between OCing and CCing is disturbing. That anti-OCing CCers try to argue it is like non-carrying people trying to argue CCing. There are solid reasons for both, with a few downsides to each. I don't carry for political reasons, or to feel like a BA, or to impress people, or any of the other inane reasons people like to come up with. I do it because I can, and because I feel like it some days over others, and regularly swap between CC and OC.

    In the end, responsible carry is responsible carry. Your assumptions about the reasons -why- people do it could be true for a small number, but it's like me saying that I assume people who carry firearms are just waiting for the chance to shoot someone. It's a general fallacy and asinine at best.

    There are "tactical" advantages to OCing for that matter as well.

  16. #30
    Ex Member Array AdBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons since - IMHO - the tactical disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages
    Yes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bold open carry
,
can you open carry gun on your drop leg in kentucky
,

colorado open carry laws 2013

,
crime rate after open carry
,
defencive carry
,
disadvantages of open carry
,
jblm concelead carry pistol laws
,
open carry feel weird
,

open carry hassle

,
open carry in idaho walmart
,
recent statistics supporting open carry
,
violent crime rates since arizona open carry law passed
Click on a term to search for related topics.