Open Carry for newbies

This is a discussion on Open Carry for newbies within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear. So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Open Carry for newbies

VIP Member
    If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear.
    So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar for a day, month, year or a fake RPG down the street or a handgun into a bank followed by a video camera waiting for the police to be called they would then use this inaction/non exercising of ones right to ban the action/exercising ones rights of open carry?

So since there has not been a flagged burned on national television in the last couple of months then the Supreme Court will sneak in and ban this acts protection under the 1st Amendment? I have not exercised my 1st Amendment right of free speech in a public venue, in the US anyway, in a very long time does that mean that it will become banned?

In regards to the OP. As has been stated people carry for different reasons. Self defense or to make a statement to each his own. To me the problem is the ones who are doing it to make a statement and get into a confrontation have a negative affect on those of us that carry for self defense.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar for a day, month, year or a fake RPG down the street or a handgun into a bank followed by a video camera waiting for the police to be called they would then use this inaction/non exercising of ones right to ban the action/exercising ones rights of open carry?

So since there has not been a flagged burned on national television in the last couple of months then the Supreme Court will sneak in and ban this acts protection under the 1st Amendment? I have not exercised my 1st Amendment right of free speech in a public venue, in the US anyway, in a very long time does that mean that it will become banned?
    To be fair, there are plenty of folks/groups gunning for limits on the 1A, 2A. It almost never ceases. Most certainly (IMO), if we don't fight these ongoing attempts, we're almost assured of seeing the practical ability to speak, own/carry be further infringed.

But, as you say, comparing carrying for defensive purposes hardly equates to the logical extreme of the argument (RPG's and such). And pursuing such extremes hardly supports the right to carry, the extreme situations (and even the more mundane faux pas) seem to embolden the haters all the more. Which is the whole point of the criticism against aggressive baiting.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here's one very logical argument AGAINST OC.

if everyone who carries a firearm does it concealed, than ANYONE could possibly be carrying a gun, which is a great deterent against thieves, rapists, etc.

however, if everyone who carries a firearm does it openly, then rapists, thievs, etc....can automatically assume that if you're not carring an exposed firearm...then you're not carrying at all.

concealed carry creates the possibility that we are ALL...carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post

if everyone who carries a firearm does it concealed, than ANYONE could possibly be carrying a gun, which is a great deterent against thieves, rapists, etc.

however, if everyone who carries a firearm does it openly, then rapists, thievs, etc....can automatically assume that if you're not carring an exposed firearm...then you're not carrying at all.

agree

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    And the debate goes on! Open or CC whatever works for the responsible carrying individual.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    And the debate goes on! Open or CC whatever works for the responsible carrying individual.
    The bolded part of your post above is what's important here. Responsibility is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Quite simple..and as others have said, I too have posted several responses.

If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear.
    It hasn't happened in my state. A few people here do open carry but by and large it's seldom seen in populated areas and it's been legal here for a long time and that right shows no sign of disappearing.

As for me, I carry a gun with no other agenda than self defense. That purpose seems best served to me by carrying in a manner that doesn't draw attention to myself.
    glockman10mm likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post

Sorry, I fail to see the logic of it.

So I should not do something that is perfectly legal, because others refuse to take responsibility for their own safety?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons since - IMHO - the tactical disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons ...
    Assumption.

For many (me, too), it's more comfortable and often simpler to deal with. No "politics" or "statements" involved.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: Open Carry for newbies

I don't do it for tactical or political reasons, I just don't like a gun in my waistband. I carry on my belt in high slide holsters, if I'm tucking my shirt in that day I guess I'm open carrying, if not I guess I'm carrying concealed.

Simple as that really.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?
    I agree with this! I see so much OC bashing. Carrying is important. If you want to conceal carry then do that, but don't put me down if I want to open carry. I am not trying to make a point, or am politically motivated, or want to feel tough. I strap my gun on either IWB or OWB and sometimes it's out in the open. I am not a tough guy(or in my case a woman). I enjoy exercising my right to protect myself in any fashion I deem necessary that day.
    Thunder71 and carracer like this.

Our individual mode of carry matters not in the least. The bigger point is that we carry whenever/wherever it is legal to do so. Our attitude while carrying matters much more than our choice of carry methods.
    carracer likes this.

I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons since - IMHO - the tactical disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages

Well we all know how assumptions go....

That there is even this division between OCing and CCing is disturbing. That anti-OCing CCers try to argue it is like non-carrying people trying to argue CCing. There are solid reasons for both, with a few downsides to each. I don't carry for political reasons, or to feel like a BA, or to impress people, or any of the other inane reasons people like to come up with. I do it because I can, and because I feel like it some days over others, and regularly swap between CC and OC.

In the end, responsible carry is responsible carry. Your assumptions about the reasons -why- people do it could be true for a small number, but it's like me saying that I assume people who carry firearms are just waiting for the chance to shoot someone. It's a general fallacy and asinine at best.

There are "tactical" advantages to OCing for that matter as well.

Yes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links