Open Carry for newbies - Page 5

Open Carry for newbies

This is a discussion on Open Carry for newbies within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally,i wouldn't open carry,unless i had no other option.I don't want the attention,it may bring,but hey whatever floats your boat....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Open Carry for newbies

Personally,i wouldn't open carry,unless i had no other option.I don't want the attention,it may bring,but hey whatever floats your boat.

Excuse me, Fuzz, I think you know NOT what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Gah! Let's not play necromancer with Pythius threads. For a brief moment, I thought he had come back!
    But hey, Pythius, nice ass.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    But hey, Pythius, nice ass.
    LOL! Hey, that's my line!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    Any gentleman knows that their behavior changes depending on the environment you're in. You carry yourself and speak differently when you're with your good friends watching football compared to when you're at work in a meeting or with your mother-in-law. This is the same for OCing in a place where you know it's not general practice or unusual.

I think OC should be legal EVERYWHERE, don't get me wrong. But the guys doing it to make a point are doing it for the wrong reason--I feel that people that OC (around these parts, not in northern WI) are doing it for that wrong reason. CC is better on many levels, both tactical and social--although not always as comfortable.
    I Agree

People have stated over and over that no one notices or seems to care: when you see someone open carrying do you notice? Don't you think other people do too? Just because its legal to walk around WalMart openly carrying a weapon does not mean you are not being watched closely by security or noticed.
    In the wild west, most people did not walk around carrying a "hog leg" on their hip; only people that carried that way were the people needed a large weapon as a tool for work. As now, there was a large market for the "pocket Pistol" because it was considered impolite or beneath your social standing to carry a weapon on your hip. Did open carry stop crime? Didn't seem to in the movies !!! But in the real world at that time most people lived their lives as we do now and never even witnessed a gunfight, as we do now. They also didn't see that many OC because it simply was not done except in the movies.
    If you want to open carry by all means exercise you right to do so but don't be fooled: there is a stigma associated with it socially and openly carrying will always be frowned upon by polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    I Agree

People have stated over and over that no one notices or seems to care: when you see someone open carrying do you notice? Don't you think other people do too? Just because its legal to walk around WalMart openly carrying a weapon does not mean you are not being watched closely by security or noticed.
    In the wild west, most people did not walk around carrying a "hog leg" on their hip; only people that carried that way were the people needed a large weapon as a tool for work. As now, there was a large market for the "pocket Pistol" because it was considered impolite or beneath your social standing to carry a weapon on your hip. Did open carry stop crime? Didn't seem to in the movies !!! But in the real world at that time most people lived their lives as we do now and never even witnessed a gunfight, as we do now. They also didn't see that many OC because it simply was not done except in the movies.
    If you want to open carry by all means exercise you right to do so but don't be fooled: there is a stigma associated with it socially and openly carrying will always be frowned upon by polite society.
    You should come to Arizona, people from all walks of life has carryed open. From eating out or to any one of the box stores or do our banking.By the way, it's also women too.As long I conduct myself in the proper way as lawful citizen, I'am not worried about it. That even come's from LEO's that I come into contact with. At my age, I don't worry about a stigma. Too old too worry about some LIB thinks. But that's just my say.
    Last edited by SatCong; January 20th, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
    NorthernVandal likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I agree that discreetly carried with ones mouth shut is usually best as well, but OC can be done without show boating and should be. I don't understand trying to draw attention either way - thats just plain asking for trouble. Carrying is not supposed to be "cool" and expressions of self and rights are best left to those who want to show up to job interviews wearing big hoops in their ears. Mature responsible owners who CC and/or OC are what puts our best foot forward and doesn't add to the fuel of those trying to take our rights away.
    NorthernVandal likes this.

I got warned for spelling out a "vulgar" word with a symbol I dont see how fully spelling out A can be ok...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drinknshoot View Post
    I got warned for spelling out a "vulgar" word with a symbol I dont see how fully spelling out A can be ok...
    We are referring to Maggie the Donkey, not the posterior section of someone's anatomy.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Language work-arounds are subject to warnings or penalties, regardless of whether the work-around was "necessary" to avoid a prohibited word. In other words, the work-around was worse than the word. In this case, "ass" is not prohibited.

Regardless, that is Maggie, my two Tennessee Walker's pet ass. Cute, ain't she?

No more playing Necromancer either
    TX expat likes this.

oc with video

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Fixed it for you (see bold).

There are many who open carry because it is easier and more convenient and comfortable. We go about our business, not looking for confrontations. I've OC'd for over 10 years now, and have never had a confrontation with a LEO, and I see them almost daily. Here in the Richmond VA area, no one makes a fuss over it.
    i opoen carry with my iphone close by and ready to record not for posting videos on the internet and i dont plan to unless its a good encounter just to show that not all cops are jerks about the open carry. i have ran into a few LEOs that never event stop when they see me with my firearm in a drop leg holster(i use dropleg so im sure not to conceal it seeing how i dont have a ccw yet) alot of times they just drive by and wave but i also work for the city so they know me and knowing im of age and not breaking laws. i have also heard over my scanner while i was walking a call for a man with a gun walking and as i was walking my dog back home he was sitting on my route home never confronted me(was not a LEO who knewn me) but to my point if i get into a confortation with a LEO who does not know his laws and trys to arrest me for breaking no law and is a huge jerk about it i would use the video for proof of what happend not for injoy meant or a statment on the internet for fame or what have you just for safty of me and my rights. seeing that im new to open carry and not ever seen open carrying in my town yet

Re: Open Carry for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    Lets just be clear. Carrying a firearm is not a right. It's a privilege. A 'right', by definition, cannot be taken away. You're ability to carry a firearm legally CAN be taken away. (i.e.: convicted felon, multiple DUIs, domestic violence, etc.) Therefore, it is a legal privilege. I say be thankful you/we/I have this privilege, those of us that do, and fly under the radar. Carrying a firearm is largely about responsibility as much as its about protection. Lets do so responsibly. Carrying a firearm openly with the intention of engaging law enforcement in a civil rights debate is irresponsible. On top of it being a stupid waste of time for everyone involved. just my two cents.
    First of all, let's be clear. Carrying a firearm IS a RIGHT. Read the second amendment. If you are a felon or a fool (multi DUIs) prone to violence etc. then YOU give up YOUR right.

I doubt many would disagree that that's the way it should be. But making me a criminal because someone else is a felon, a fool or crazy is a violation of MY RIGHTS, that I haven't given up.

Rootbrain

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I OC at times when it hot out and have never had any problems at all with it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I usually have a vest or coat on over my OWB carry rig, but don't really think twice about OC because of where I live, it rarely gets noticed at all. In fact old timers want to know what I carry and thank me for exercising my rights. It leads to some good conversation with folks I would not ordinarily meet, from time to time. If I have to run to the store quick, I OC, no worries. Never had a negative encounter in years. Although it does freak my Mom out when she is in town visiting us. She's from California and is conditioned to be scared of guns and carrying them in public is a big no no to her. She respects my positions but is leery of me walking into a store with a gun on my hip when I simply consider it part of my daily dress code, same as one would consider a belt, wristwatch or cell phone. Certainly is much more comfortable in the summer.

Ideally perfect concealment lends to the unknown factors involving being picked out for a crime or something, which is why I generally carry concealed, but when it's hot out, it's hot out, I don't worry too much about whether or not it is OC or CC.
    carracer and Jackster like this.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I'll just copy/paste a recent response of mine on this topic.

I do it once in a while, never felt out of place or weird - but I didn't go out of my way to open carry either - just something I do on occasion. I like, and appreciate having the choice. Too many people are against open carry just because they choose not to do so, not everyone does it for attention. I don't like wearing my gun inside my pants, so my holster of choice is a high riding belt model. The only difference in carry for me is whether or not I decide to tuck in my shirt, unlike some people I don't dress around my gun every day, I dress how I'm going to dress. There are OCCASIONS that I'll dress for and change how I carry, but my normal day to day life does not dictate how I carry.

I'm also a believer that your location is in almost direct relation with how you feel about open carry.

I also think that some people who carry concealed look like absolute slobs, wearing pants that are 2 sizes to big and hawaiian shirts one size too large just to cover their carry gun. I'm glad I don't live where you do to the point I feel I have to look like a clown to carry, now that's attention I wouldn't care for.

But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?

Lastly, I always try and present myself in a positive non-threatening manner, open doors for people, say please and thank you and do my best to be a gentleman, how I carry does not change this, but I think it is even more important when open carrying to be the good guy in your actions, I believe it goes a long way.
    This is exactly how I feel. I especially like the part about "looking like a clown to carry" (thats funny!). I personally wear an OWB leather holster with thumbreak and if my shirt is not fully covering it, oh well. If it is, cool. In the summertime I go on evening bike rides with my wife and children and I normally don't wear a shirt at all! Oh my God, I must be showboating for attention! Nope, I don't hardly even notice it's there.

Now the kids who go around with cameras and AK-47's just to stir up a reaction... That's kind of ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I own a couple of AK's and would have no problem carrying it around on my back to the store if that's all I had, but I wouldn't do something like that to get a "rise". Just makes the rest of us look stupid.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links