Defensive Carry banner

Open Carry for newbies

9K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  45ACPonly 
#1 ·
OK, so I've seen a lot of videos of Open Carry Activists filming themselves in Oregon, California, and other places, carring a visable firearm and then getting into strange debates with LEOs.

What exactly are these folks attempting to achieve? Are they actually trying to change the law, or are they just trying to get attention so they can show the world how persecuted they are?

They have the legal right to carry firearms concealed, with a permit and sometimes even without. Their state recognizes & acknowledges this right. Why the need to carry it exposed? I don't see what this is all about.

#2 ·
It's because they are expressing their right to open carry where legal, just as you express your right by casting your vote at election time.

In an ideal world, no one would pay any attention to someone OC'ing. But this is not a ideal world, and OC'ing tends to draw attention, negative attention for those who choose to showboat.

Are they wrong? No. Are they doing the smart thing? No. Sometimes people are jerks for all the right reasons.

#3 ·
I'm all for OC being legal (as it is in my state). However, I think--unless you're in a rural area--that OC is basically just to make a point and draw attention. I see no reason to OC in a heavily populated area. CC keep attention off of you and police even prefer it because it doesn't cause a ruckus.

I think people who OC in populated areas (aside from cities where it's common/normal) are simply looking for attention.

#4 ·
I'm all for OC being legal (as it is in my state). However, I think--unless you're in a rural area--that OC is basically just to make a point and draw attention. I see no reason to OC in a heavily populated area. CC keep attention off of you and police even prefer it because it doesn't cause a ruckus.

I think people who OC in populated areas (while carrying video camera's and voice recorders) (aside from cities where it's common/normal) are simply looking for attention.
Fixed it for you (see bold).

There are many who open carry because it is easier and more convenient and comfortable. We go about our business, not looking for confrontations. I've OC'd for over 10 years now, and have never had a confrontation with a LEO, and I see them almost daily. Here in the Richmond VA area, no one makes a fuss over it.

#5 ·
IMO, it is a questionable practice. Not because it's bad, or unnatural, but because of some unintended consequences that could happen in even a minor incident.

In a perfect world, it would be common for all, everywhere. However it is not, and in fact considered impolite by some.
It is absolutely more comfortable to carry openly in hot weather or tropical environments, but, discretion is usually desired.

Some think they are " educating" the public. I won't touch that one.

I do not think OC should be illegal, because there could be times when it is prudent to do so. However, I believe the piece should be discreetly carried, and ones mouth kept shut.

#6 ·
OK, so I've seen a lot of videos of Open Carry Activists filming themselves in Oregon, California, and other places, carring a visable firearm and then getting into strange debates with LEOs.

What exactly are these folks attempting to achieve? Are they actually trying to change the law, or are they just trying to get attention so they can show the world how persecuted they are?

They have the legal right to carry firearms concealed, with a permit and sometimes even without. Their state recognizes & acknowledges this right. Why the need to carry it exposed? I don't see what this is all about.
Same for someone in NYC who walks down the sidewalk eating a hotdog. The state recognizes restaurant. Why do they have to walk down the street eating?

#9 ·
Why the need to carry it exposed? I don't see what this is all about.
Quite simple..and as others have said, I too have posted several responses.

If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear.

Reactions: jrclen and carracer
#22 ·
Quite simple..and as others have said, I too have posted several responses.

It hasn't happened in my state. A few people here do open carry but by and large it's seldom seen in populated areas and it's been legal here for a long time and that right shows no sign of disappearing.

As for me, I carry a gun with no other agenda than self defense. That purpose seems best served to me by carrying in a manner that doesn't draw attention to myself.

#12 ·
I'll just copy/paste a recent response of mine on this topic.

I do it once in a while, never felt out of place or weird - but I didn't go out of my way to open carry either - just something I do on occasion. I like, and appreciate having the choice. Too many people are against open carry just because they choose not to do so, not everyone does it for attention. I don't like wearing my gun inside my pants, so my holster of choice is a high riding belt model. The only difference in carry for me is whether or not I decide to tuck in my shirt, unlike some people I don't dress around my gun every day, I dress how I'm going to dress. There are OCCASIONS that I'll dress for and change how I carry, but my normal day to day life does not dictate how I carry.

I'm also a believer that your location is in almost direct relation with how you feel about open carry.

I also think that some people who carry concealed look like absolute slobs, wearing pants that are 2 sizes to big and hawaiian shirts one size too large just to cover their carry gun. I'm glad I don't live where you do to the point I feel I have to look like a clown to carry, now that's attention I wouldn't care for.

But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?

Lastly, I always try and present myself in a positive non-threatening manner, open doors for people, say please and thank you and do my best to be a gentleman, how I carry does not change this, but I think it is even more important when open carrying to be the good guy in your actions, I believe it goes a long way.

#27 ·
But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?
I agree with this! I see so much OC bashing. Carrying is important. If you want to conceal carry then do that, but don't put me down if I want to open carry. I am not trying to make a point, or am politically motivated, or want to feel tough. I strap my gun on either IWB or OWB and sometimes it's out in the open. I am not a tough guy(or in my case a woman). I enjoy exercising my right to protect myself in any fashion I deem necessary that day.

#14 ·
Any gentleman knows that their behavior changes depending on the environment you're in. You carry yourself and speak differently when you're with your good friends watching football compared to when you're at work in a meeting or with your mother-in-law. This is the same for OCing in a place where you know it's not general practice or unusual.

I think OC should be legal EVERYWHERE, don't get me wrong. But the guys doing it to make a point are doing it for the wrong reason--I feel that people that OC (around these parts, not in northern WI) are doing it for that wrong reason. CC is better on many levels, both tactical and social--although not always as comfortable.

#65 ·
I Agree

People have stated over and over that no one notices or seems to care: when you see someone open carrying do you notice? Don't you think other people do too? Just because its legal to walk around WalMart openly carrying a weapon does not mean you are not being watched closely by security or noticed.
In the wild west, most people did not walk around carrying a "hog leg" on their hip; only people that carried that way were the people needed a large weapon as a tool for work. As now, there was a large market for the "pocket Pistol" because it was considered impolite or beneath your social standing to carry a weapon on your hip. Did open carry stop crime? Didn't seem to in the movies !!! But in the real world at that time most people lived their lives as we do now and never even witnessed a gunfight, as we do now. They also didn't see that many OC because it simply was not done except in the movies.
If you want to open carry by all means exercise you right to do so but don't be fooled: there is a stigma associated with it socially and openly carrying will always be frowned upon by polite society.

#15 ·
Everyone's different. Just as some are simply trying to appear "important" by having a film on the Tube, some are pursuing recognition of the rightful nature of carrying without hassle, while others are pushing (in stringent states) for sane alteration of the statutes (though it can be argued that baiting does not equate to a sane approach, a path that could backfire in the minds of millions who vote as well). Depends on the specific person. Ask them.

#16 ·
So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar for a day, month, year or a fake RPG down the street or a handgun into a bank followed by a video camera waiting for the police to be called they would then use this inaction/non exercising of ones right to ban the action/exercising ones rights of open carry?

So since there has not been a flagged burned on national television in the last couple of months then the Supreme Court will sneak in and ban this acts protection under the 1st Amendment? I have not exercised my 1st Amendment right of free speech in a public venue, in the US anyway, in a very long time does that mean that it will become banned?

In regards to the OP. As has been stated people carry for different reasons. Self defense or to make a statement to each his own. To me the problem is the ones who are doing it to make a statement and get into a confrontation have a negative affect on those of us that carry for self defense.

#17 ·
So you are saying if no one carried a shotgun or AR to the salad bar for a day, month, year or a fake RPG down the street or a handgun into a bank followed by a video camera waiting for the police to be called they would then use this inaction/non exercising of ones right to ban the action/exercising ones rights of open carry?

So since there has not been a flagged burned on national television in the last couple of months then the Supreme Court will sneak in and ban this acts protection under the 1st Amendment? I have not exercised my 1st Amendment right of free speech in a public venue, in the US anyway, in a very long time does that mean that it will become banned?
To be fair, there are plenty of folks/groups gunning for limits on the 1A, 2A. It almost never ceases. Most certainly (IMO), if we don't fight these ongoing attempts, we're almost assured of seeing the practical ability to speak, own/carry be further infringed.

But, as you say, comparing carrying for defensive purposes hardly equates to the logical extreme of the argument (RPG's and such). And pursuing such extremes hardly supports the right to carry, the extreme situations (and even the more mundane faux pas) seem to embolden the haters all the more. Which is the whole point of the criticism against aggressive baiting.

#18 ·
Here's one very logical argument AGAINST OC.

if everyone who carries a firearm does it concealed, than ANYONE could possibly be carrying a gun, which is a great deterent against thieves, rapists, etc.

however, if everyone who carries a firearm does it openly, then rapists, thievs, etc....can automatically assume that if you're not carring an exposed firearm...then you're not carrying at all.

concealed carry creates the possibility that we are ALL...carrying.

#25 ·
I have always assumed that people who open carry when they can carry concealed are choosing open carry for political reasons ...
Assumption.

For many (me, too), it's more comfortable and often simpler to deal with. No "politics" or "statements" involved.

#26 ·
I don't do it for tactical or political reasons, I just don't like a gun in my waistband. I carry on my belt in high slide holsters, if I'm tucking my shirt in that day I guess I'm open carrying, if not I guess I'm carrying concealed.

Simple as that really.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

#31 ·
It hasn't happened in my state. A few people here do open carry but by and large it's seldom seen in populated areas and it's been legal here for a long time and that right shows no sign of disappearing.

As for me, I carry a gun with no other agenda than self defense. That purpose seems best served to me by carrying in a manner that doesn't draw attention to myself.
The simpletons in Denver are going to try to quash a bunch of our rights this session. We need to stay in touch with our 2A friends up there.

In regards to the OP. As has been stated people carry for different reasons. Self defense or to make a statement to each his own. To me the problem is the ones who are doing it to make a statement and get into a confrontation have a negative affect on those of us that carry for self defense.
:35:

#35 ·
Put yourself in the place of the BG. If you see 3 people walking down the street without guns, or 3 people walking down the street with guns, which would you be more likely to accost?

Reactions: BurgerBoy
#52 ·
I will admit that I use both forms of carry, generally leaning more with OC. Once in a while I will get a strange look at a grocery store or gas station but I do not showboat that I am armed. It seems if you are polite to people around you and don't look like you are there to cause trouble it is pretty well accepted here in Montana. Someone else said it perfectly, responsibility is key to carry regardless of how you do it

#55 ·
Everyone has an opinion of why you should or should not Open Carry. A lot of the comments are against Opn Carry because it is Show Boating.
However, I am in Florida and we cannot Open Carry. I am 66 and have no desrie to "Show Boat".
But, it is also harder to pick clothes that hide a concealed weapon. You either wear you shirt out or have to wear a coat.
It would be nice to wear my shirt tucked in and not wear a coat in a warm climate.

Reactions: Sarge65
#56 ·
I open carry for 2 reasons.

1. It is my right to do so. - This is fundamental to me.
2. It is the only way I can currently legally carry a firearm.

I abhor the idea of asking "permission" to carry a concealed weapon. The bad guys don't ask permission to rob me, so why should I have to ask permission to conceal my weapon to protect myself from bad guys. I will get my CHP eventually, but only because I don't want to be at risk of arrest for "accidental concealment." Even once I have my CHP, I will continue to open carry. As long as you carry yourself like a professional, dress nicely, and don't have an attitude, your chances of actually be confronted over it are pretty slim.

#57 ·
Lets just be clear. Carrying a firearm is not a right. It's a privilege. A 'right', by definition, cannot be taken away. You're ability to carry a firearm legally CAN be taken away. (i.e.: convicted felon, multiple DUIs, domestic violence, etc.) Therefore, it is a legal privilege. I say be thankful you/we/I have this privilege, those of us that do, and fly under the radar. Carrying a firearm is largely about responsibility as much as its about protection. Lets do so responsibly. Carrying a firearm openly with the intention of engaging law enforcement in a civil rights debate is irresponsible. On top of it being a stupid waste of time for everyone involved. just my two cents.

#67 ·
I agree that discreetly carried with ones mouth shut is usually best as well, but OC can be done without show boating and should be. I don't understand trying to draw attention either way - thats just plain asking for trouble. Carrying is not supposed to be "cool" and expressions of self and rights are best left to those who want to show up to job interviews wearing big hoops in their ears. Mature responsible owners who CC and/or OC are what puts our best foot forward and doesn't add to the fuel of those trying to take our rights away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.