Open Carry for newbies

This is a discussion on Open Carry for newbies within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I've seen a lot of videos of Open Carry Activists filming themselves in Oregon, California, and other places, carring a visable firearm and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Open Carry for newbies

Open Carry for newbies

OK, so I've seen a lot of videos of Open Carry Activists filming themselves in Oregon, California, and other places, carring a visable firearm and then getting into strange debates with LEOs.

What exactly are these folks attempting to achieve? Are they actually trying to change the law, or are they just trying to get attention so they can show the world how persecuted they are?

They have the legal right to carry firearms concealed, with a permit and sometimes even without. Their state recognizes & acknowledges this right. Why the need to carry it exposed? I don't see what this is all about.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's because they are expressing their right to open carry where legal, just as you express your right by casting your vote at election time.

In an ideal world, no one would pay any attention to someone OC'ing. But this is not a ideal world, and OC'ing tends to draw attention, negative attention for those who choose to showboat.

Are they wrong? No. Are they doing the smart thing? No. Sometimes people are jerks for all the right reasons.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm all for OC being legal (as it is in my state). However, I think--unless you're in a rural area--that OC is basically just to make a point and draw attention. I see no reason to OC in a heavily populated area. CC keep attention off of you and police even prefer it because it doesn't cause a ruckus.

I think people who OC in populated areas (aside from cities where it's common/normal) are simply looking for attention.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    I'm all for OC being legal (as it is in my state). However, I think--unless you're in a rural area--that OC is basically just to make a point and draw attention. I see no reason to OC in a heavily populated area. CC keep attention off of you and police even prefer it because it doesn't cause a ruckus.

I think people who OC in populated areas (while carrying video camera's and voice recorders) (aside from cities where it's common/normal) are simply looking for attention.
    Fixed it for you (see bold).

There are many who open carry because it is easier and more convenient and comfortable. We go about our business, not looking for confrontations. I've OC'd for over 10 years now, and have never had a confrontation with a LEO, and I see them almost daily. Here in the Richmond VA area, no one makes a fuss over it.
    Thunder71, carracer and BurgerBoy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

IMO, it is a questionable practice. Not because it's bad, or unnatural, but because of some unintended consequences that could happen in even a minor incident.

In a perfect world, it would be common for all, everywhere. However it is not, and in fact considered impolite by some.
    It is absolutely more comfortable to carry openly in hot weather or tropical environments, but, discretion is usually desired.

Some think they are " educating" the public. I won't touch that one.

I do not think OC should be illegal, because there could be times when it is prudent to do so. However, I believe the piece should be discreetly carried, and ones mouth kept shut.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    OK, so I've seen a lot of videos of Open Carry Activists filming themselves in Oregon, California, and other places, carring a visable firearm and then getting into strange debates with LEOs.

What exactly are these folks attempting to achieve? Are they actually trying to change the law, or are they just trying to get attention so they can show the world how persecuted they are?

They have the legal right to carry firearms concealed, with a permit and sometimes even without. Their state recognizes & acknowledges this right. Why the need to carry it exposed? I don't see what this is all about.
    Same for someone in NYC who walks down the sidewalk eating a hotdog. The state recognizes restaurant. Why do they have to walk down the street eating?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The best I can do is openly Welcome you from Michigan!
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

There are many who open carry because it is easier and more convenient and comfortable. We go about our business, not looking for confrontations. I've OC'd for over 10 years now, and have never had a confrontation with a LEO, and I see them almost daily. Here in the Richmond VA area, no one makes a fuss over it.
    ^^^This^^^

I won't go into my whole dissertation, as I have articulated my position on this in several similar threads. I will boil it down to this concise statement:

I encourage all who are legally eligible to carry to do so, whether concealed or openly, when and where it is legal. I would ask all the ninjas to stay home, as they are not doing us any good whatsoever.
    carracer likes this.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Why the need to carry it exposed? I don't see what this is all about.
    Quite simple..and as others have said, I too have posted several responses.

If you don't exercise your rights; they will disappear.
    carracer and jrclen like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Same for someone in NYC who walks down the sidewalk eating a hotdog. The state recognizes restaurant. Why do they have to walk down the street eating?
    you're comparing a deadly weapon, to a hot dog with relish?

VIP Member
    you're comparing a deadly weapon, to a hot dog with relish?
    Have you read the ingredients of hotdogs lately?

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'll just copy/paste a recent response of mine on this topic.

I do it once in a while, never felt out of place or weird - but I didn't go out of my way to open carry either - just something I do on occasion. I like, and appreciate having the choice. Too many people are against open carry just because they choose not to do so, not everyone does it for attention. I don't like wearing my gun inside my pants, so my holster of choice is a high riding belt model. The only difference in carry for me is whether or not I decide to tuck in my shirt, unlike some people I don't dress around my gun every day, I dress how I'm going to dress. There are OCCASIONS that I'll dress for and change how I carry, but my normal day to day life does not dictate how I carry.

I'm also a believer that your location is in almost direct relation with how you feel about open carry.

I also think that some people who carry concealed look like absolute slobs, wearing pants that are 2 sizes to big and hawaiian shirts one size too large just to cover their carry gun. I'm glad I don't live where you do to the point I feel I have to look like a clown to carry, now that's attention I wouldn't care for.

But to each their own... I'm a firm believer that we need to quit fighting over how we carry and accept all safe methods, if we can't do it, how can we expect anti gun people to?

Lastly, I always try and present myself in a positive non-threatening manner, open doors for people, say please and thank you and do my best to be a gentleman, how I carry does not change this, but I think it is even more important when open carrying to be the good guy in your actions, I believe it goes a long way.

I certainly can't speak for every city. I know in some cities it's no big deal at all. But in cities like Milwaukee it's not a normal thing so doing so would most certainly draw attention and our police chief said he will put OCers on the ground (which I think is absurd to say). Point being that different cities are different and I can only speak for the ones I'm familiar with.
    jrclen likes this.

Any gentleman knows that their behavior changes depending on the environment you're in. You carry yourself and speak differently when you're with your good friends watching football compared to when you're at work in a meeting or with your mother-in-law. This is the same for OCing in a place where you know it's not general practice or unusual.

I think OC should be legal EVERYWHERE, don't get me wrong. But the guys doing it to make a point are doing it for the wrong reason--I feel that people that OC (around these parts, not in northern WI) are doing it for that wrong reason. CC is better on many levels, both tactical and social--although not always as comfortable.
    Bryan_G and LkWd_Don like this.

Everyone's different. Just as some are simply trying to appear "important" by having a film on the Tube, some are pursuing recognition of the rightful nature of carrying without hassle, while others are pushing (in stringent states) for sane alteration of the statutes (though it can be argued that baiting does not equate to a sane approach, a path that could backfire in the minds of millions who vote as well). Depends on the specific person. Ask them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links