Come on Texas!!!! - Page 2

Come on Texas!!!!

This is a discussion on Come on Texas!!!! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm surprised someone hasn't chimed in with the "They'll target you and steal your gun" proclaimation yet (I guess I just did), but I'm all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Come on Texas!!!!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm surprised someone hasn't chimed in with the "They'll target you and steal your gun" proclaimation yet (I guess I just did), but I'm all for the citizens having the option to carry either openly or conealed. Then they can make their personal choice as to how they wish to carry. That's the freedom of choice! Go Tx.
    RT likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Come on Texas!!!!

Our governor is pro gun, but the state Capitol and county is a blue county. With all the recent events, I'm curious as to what will happen.
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

Come on Texas!!!!

Dan I'm with you. I hope it passes but don't know if I will open carry
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

The Gov is progun but.... So far not OC friendly

If it comes, i will probably stay CC
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Congratulations and hoping the best for you Texas! Soon you can join your big brother Alaska in being truly pro-firearms again! *nudge nudge* Just teasing haha.

Seriously though, I hope all firearms supporters push for this to get passed. Regardless of what your carry position is, concealed or open, everyone should be supporting improved gun rights.
    Aceoky likes this.

I was born in and spend 30+ years living in Texas. I moved to Arizona and enjoy the fact I can OC or CC as the need arises. Its a nice option and Very glad Texas is open to it (no pun intended)

Come on Texas!!!!

I haven't heard anything on HB 700 can anyone help
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
    I am very much in favour of TX getting OC. I personally will not OC. I'm in favour of OC so should I inadvertanly expose my carry piece I would not be brandishing.
    Its interesting that there is a separate bill being introduced into House that pretty much eliminates the brandishing charge.

House Bill 700 by Representative George Lavender (R-Texarkana) would allow a person with a Texas concealed handgun license to have the option of carrying concealed or openly holstered. Expect a committee substitute to create a sign for use by private property owners not wishing to restrict those carrying concealed.

Senate Bill 299 authored by Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls) would protect against inadvertent or accidental display of a handgun by a Concealed Handgun Licensee.

I hope that both pass but at the very lease I would like to see HB 299 pass.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I have really mixed feelings about this. I like the protections from accidental exposure, I had my CC weapon fall out of my holster once at home when I was crawling under my desk trying to unplug my laptop charger right before going out

That said, even if OC does become law (which I kind of doubt), I don't plan to exercise it. I live in an area where carrying a gun openly is most likely to produce the reaction "AHHH HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!". Add to that the fact that openly carrying a long gun technically isn't illegal, but doing so is a great way to get yourself shot, as has happened more than once recently. The takeaway from this is that I want my concealed weapon to be just that, concealed. If I want you to know that I'm armed, I'll tell you.

I have really mixed feelings about this. I like the protections from accidental exposure, I had my CC weapon fall out of my holster once at home when I was crawling under my desk trying to unplug my laptop charger right before going out

That said, even if OC does become law (which I kind of doubt), I don't plan to exercise it. I live in an area where carrying a gun openly is most likely to produce the reaction "AHHH HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!". Add to that the fact that openly carrying a long gun technically isn't illegal, but doing so is a great way to get yourself shot, as has happened more than once recently. The takeaway from this is that I want my concealed weapon to be just that, concealed. If I want you to know that I'm armed, I'll tell you.

After looking at the bill. I don't think Lavender's bill will make it this time. It has too many screwy things in it.

Whomever helped him write it didn't think it through.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    After looking at the bill. I don't think Lavender's bill will make it this time. It has too many screwy things in it.

Whomever helped him write it didn't think it through.
    Yea the "shoulder/belt holster" stuff is really out of place. Also, the things about modifying the ABC code reek of religious conservatism. This bill will probably die yet again as it has in the past. The campus carry bill has a lot more steam behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Its interesting that there is a separate bill being introduced into House that pretty much eliminates the brandishing charge.

House Bill 700 by Representative George Lavender (R-Texarkana) would allow a person with a Texas concealed handgun license to have the option of carrying concealed or openly holstered. Expect a committee substitute to create a sign for use by private property owners not wishing to restrict those carrying concealed.

Senate Bill 299 authored by Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls) would protect against inadvertent or accidental display of a handgun by a Concealed Handgun Licensee.

I hope that both pass but at the very lease I would like to see HB 299 pass.

Can you tell me what the brandishing charge is and where I can find it in the Penal Code ??

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I'd welcome Texas as a fellow open carry state! As numbers from open carry states are examined, it's discovered that OC doesn't pose a big threat to the (at least law abiding) citizens. We already have open carry (without permit) here in WV, which I took advantage of quite a bit until the weather turned cold. WV has been an OC state for many years now, and our streets haven't run red with blood, as the antis always predict. I encourage Texans, and people from any other state which currently doesn't allow OC, to contact your Senator and Representatives and ask them to support (or in some cases author) an open carry bill.
    If peopel can Open Carry in West Virginia without a permit, what is to prevent the thugs from doing so also ?? I supposse what I'm getting at is there have been comment thrreads about police violating someone's civil rights by asking for a CHL in states that require licenses and allow open carry. How would a police officer determine who is who if he couldn't ask for a permit ? Yeah, there are state and federal laws about felons carrying firearms, however, if it violates someone's rights the thugs keep carrying, right ? Strange set or rules, huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    Can you tell me what the brandishing charge is and where I can find it in the Penal Code ??
    Penal Code Sec. 42.01 (8)

You're treading on thin ice of getting charged under 22.02 (a)(2) also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links