question abt Illinois ban lift

This is a discussion on question abt Illinois ban lift within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What exactly does this mean? Is it legal now for someone out of state to go into Illinois & carry concealed if licensed?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: question abt Illinois ban lift

question abt Illinois ban lift

What exactly does this mean? Is it legal now for someone out of state to go into Illinois & carry concealed if licensed?

2. Remove Ads

The feds gave the state 180 days to draft a law allowing us in Illinois to conceal and carry a weapon. The powers in Chicago may try to appeal but chances are they will save the resources and use them towards making it the strictest state regarding gun control. Expect a max mag size, max caliber, max decibel level, and a huge list of places you wont be able to go with a weapon.

Otherwise, come June or July you can expect to hear what the final law will be. I fully expect us to be wielding before autumn.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

The court gave Illinois 180 days to pass a state law that allows some form of carry outside of the home. If the state doesn't meet the deadline, the Court will. So, still no carry for up to 6 months. I don't believe that Illinois can appeal to the Supremes, because they have already ruled on DC's ban.

Keep in mind that I am not a lawyer...I just play one on TV.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    I don't believe that Illinois can appeal to the Supremes, because they have already ruled on DC's ban..
    The Federal Court of Appeals lifted the ban. Illinois can appeal this decision to the US Supreme Court. I just doubt that they would be that stupid. Or do I...
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    The feds gave the state 180 days to draft a law allowing us in Illinois to conceal and carry a weapon. The powers in Chicago may try to appeal but chances are they will save the resources and use them towards making it the strictest state regarding gun control. Expect a max mag size, max caliber, max decibel level, and a huge list of places you wont be able to go with a weapon.

Otherwise, come June or July you can expect to hear what the final law will be. I fully expect us to be wielding before autumn.
    After living in Illinois for 38 years, my guess would also be a "MAY" issue state. Big difference between a "shall issue" state and a "May issue" state! Only the rich and / or connected people receive CCW in may issue states as a general rule.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    What exactly does this mean? Is it legal now for someone out of state to go into Illinois & carry concealed if licensed?
    NO!

We'll be lucky if there is some ultra restrictive, Illinois only law scribbled on a cocktail napkin in 180 days, let alone voted on and passed. I doubt they will honor anyone elses license if they even honor the one they issue if it ever happens.

But there is hope.
    ericb327 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    The Federal Court of Appeals lifted the ban. Illinois can appeal this decision to the US Supreme Court. I just doubt that they would be that stupid. Or do I...
    They will try to hold out for O to appoint another justice, let's hope that doesn't happen.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    They will try to hold out for O to appoint another justice, let's hope that doesn't happen.
    Oh god I didn't think about that. Let's hope you didn't just prophecy the future.
    - Hedimitrius

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    That thought had crossed my mind as well. Hopefully I'm just being cynic and paranoid, but does anyone else feel this could actually HURT other states if it's appealed to SCOTUS and they rule in favor of the anti's. Seems like the floodgates could open then for other CCW laws to be challenged. Here's hoping it doesn't come down to that.

Do not do anything yet . This is long from over. IL Can and will adopt a bill so restrictive the COP won't get one.
    Then it will end up back in court again and again. They are aware of the appoint of another justice. The game plan will be to hold out as long as they can. If forced to pass something they will and get it in front of a new court. They only need 1 more vote and no more 2nd.

VIP Member
    SCOTUS only becomes an issue if Kennedy or one of the conservative 4 vacate their position. Yes, if Breyer or Ginsberg call it quits hey get replaced wih a younger version, but that does not change the ideological slant of the court.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    The court gave Illinois 180 days to pass a state law that allows some form of carry outside of the home. If the state doesn't meet the deadline, the Court will. So, still no carry for up to 6 months. I don't believe that Illinois can appeal to the Supremes, because they have already ruled on DC's ban.

Keep in mind that I am not a lawyer...I just play one on TV.
    Don't start the party yet. There are at least two avenues of appeal. First, the State an appeal for an en banc hearing of the case by the entire 7th Circuit. And/or appeal to the US Supreme Court, which has NOT ruled at all on this matter. Or, Madigan can wait to see what the legislature does. The other side has made it clear that if they must pass a CC law, it will be as restrictive as they can possibly get it. How this will all play out is still an unknown, but again, we have a long way to go yet.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Domr View Post
    does anyone else feel this could actually HURT other states if it's appealed to SCOTUS and they rule in favor of the anti's.
    That won't happen. This opinion is in exact alignment with Heller and McDonald. If it goes to SCOTUS, our 5 favorite Justices would jump on the opportunity to DENY cert. An instant decision that removes any opportunity for Obama to stack the deck.

This ruling, explicitly stating that the right to bear arms extends outside the home, could even spell the end for may-never-issue laws in places like HI, CA, NJ, DC, and NYC.

NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde and State Representative Phelps have both categorically stated that may issue is not an option.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    Even if IL does pass a CC Law I would bet money that they will not honor any other states permits
    ericb327 and phreddy like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links