Sudden open carry popularity boom?

This is a discussion on Sudden open carry popularity boom? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Decided to Open Carry for the first time last night and not one person said anything. Nobody freaked out and ran or did anything crazy....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sudden open carry popularity boom?

Decided to Open Carry for the first time last night and not one person said anything. Nobody freaked out and ran or did anything crazy.
    AK_Brian likes this.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

2. Remove Ads

I live in Arizona. That pretty well sums it up.

Open carry is no big deal here.
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

Very few criminals open carry. So when I see someone open carrying, I don't get excited. And I'm amused by those who wet their pants at the site of a citizen carrying a gun.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

For the first time, I OC'd every day this week. In light of recent events I finally decided I wanted to carry every day, but didn't get my CHP in the mail until yesterday, so OC it was. I am happy to report that no eyebrows were raised and wolf was not cried. I think the only people who even noticed were some of the guys at my work when I stopped by, even then I had to stand around chatting for 45 minutes before anyone saw it!! I've started to wonder if I'm that oblivious to people carrying...
    I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory;
    Psalm 44:6-8
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
    Matthew 5:9

I am an Illinois resident visiting in AZ. I have a AZ CCW. I OC into a gas station. All I could think about was gas station robberies and people will freak out. No one even cared. I think I was more scared than anyone there! LOL.
    AngryBadger417 and jrclen like this.

I have an employee who lives in the Phoenix AZ area and she says she sees people open carry all the time - it's no big deal - a lot of motorcyclists and mostly in the downtown areas.

I live in Dallas TX and of course TX doesn't have this option. Even if we did I would carry concealed. Just don't want anyone knowing I'm carrying because it takes away an advantage. Although I don't travel a lot, I can honestly say I've never seen/noticed anyone that's not a LEO carrying a gun openly. I've traveled to about 1/2 the states in the USA and a few countries in Europe in my 53 years, just never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbphoto357 View Post
    I live in Arizona. That pretty well sums it up.

Open carry is no big deal here.
    So I hear! :)

I never see anyone open carrying in West Virginia, unless its at a gun show or something, but it would be nice to see some people OCing around here. I say if you would rather carry on your hip then Conceal it that's your preference and your choice

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    While I know there are people who open carry in the nw and sw of the state I have never seen anyone where I live open carry. Wish it were more common I would much rather open carry. Pain in the bum to pull my long winter sweaters up over my gun. In my little town here in NE Ohio they would probably have the state swat team out if I opened carried lol. Heck you would probably see it on News Center 5 lol. I open carry in the yard and when I go to the mail box, sure not going to put something special on to cover the gun but even then my husband says, " Cover that darn thing up." I want this real pretty holsters but why pay 175 dollars for it if I can't show it off lol.
    I live in NE Ohio as well and wish there was more people OC 'ing. I would like to do it ad well but as you said the SRT teams would be called on us.

A lot of people say "I don't OC because I want the surprise factor" OK but imagine this, if we could get say 10% of the population to OC...

1} Seeing a gun would be no big deal.
    2} Criminals would be a nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I OC every day here in Western Colorado and have even had LEO thank me for carrying; we were in a tourist town a month ago (off season) and a little 'ole lady in the arts & crafts store we were in saw my side-arm and said "I like it when a man carries a gun, if more men were men we'd have less crime".

Ain't Western Colorado great!

Re: Sudden open carry popularity boom?

That thumping noise you hear - it's my cat rhythmically wacking your rocker with his tail. He wants his chair back. Consider yourself warned. :D

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I kinda wish SC would get an OC going. I think they've tried but no luck as the Mayor of Charleston is very antigun. I can't afford to pay for the class and fees right now so OC would be at least helping me when I choose to go out.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm honestly less concerned about OC than CC. I've never seen a BG OC'ing. People doing bad things or intending to do so tend to try to hide it. The one time anyone questioned me about OC'ing and why I did, my answer was snakes. Even though I have no intention of shooting a snake (If you're 3 ft away they're harmless), most eveyone recognizes a fear of snakes and then nods agreeably.
    jrclen and thephanatik like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What? Are you going to make a fuss about 4 or 5 armed men carrying guns! I'm sure not.

The reason we have CC is so as not to upset the sheeple.

People are used to only seeing LE or bad guys carry guns. It is disconcerting to see unknown people with guns. I know when I see someone OC'ing in an inappropriate venue it makes em extra cautious.

Look back to the 1800's - John Wayne movies aside people didn't OC in towns or cities unless they were just in from the trail. It just wasn't' appropriate. I live in AZ, probably the most wild west state there still is, and few people OC unless they are Californian's exercising their "rights," and every time I see one of those folks I wonder if I can conceal a Desert Eagle .50, just in case they are a whacko?

On the other hand my SO and I OC when we are hiking, unless we are wearing a jacket in the winter.

[QUOTE=gunslingergirl;2509631]What? Are you going to make a fuss about 4 or 5 armed men carrying guns! I'm sure not.

The reason we have CC is so as not to upset the sheeple.

People are used to only seeing LE or bad guys carry guns. It is disconcerting to see unknown people with guns. I know when I see someone OC'ing in an inappropriate venue it makes em extra cautious.
    QUOTE]

F____ 'em!!! They can get used to it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links