Sudden open carry popularity boom?

This is a discussion on Sudden open carry popularity boom? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The funny thing is, I know so many people that have worried about being made when CCing but frankly, most people don't even seem to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sudden open carry popularity boom?

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Sudden open carry popularity boom?

The funny thing is, I know so many people that have worried about being made when CCing but frankly, most people don't even seem to notice when I OC! Unless you're in a state where printing is illegal (I gather there are some, yes?) I just don't think anyone is ever going to notice a CC given how many don't notice OC.

2. Remove Ads

I CC however in winter time that is OWB with a coat or at least a light jacket. When we are at a restaurant or somewhere I would remove my coat, I position my self so the weapon is not on the outside of the table. that being said I open carry to the restroom and such however I have never had an issue. I personally wish more people would open carry. I agree with not wanting to advertise but I also think it sends a message to anyone looking for a victim as well.

Its different IMO. I am 33. I have had CCWP since 21. I always knew in PA you could OC, how ever not many people chose to do so until recently (Or never made a big thing about it). Now if you CC in my city, your like an outcast or something cause the "new-fad" is OC. I still choose to CC, but like that the option is there if/when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Anyone ever see a felon open carry? Just sayin'
    Yep, several times .... but never for long!

Otherwise ..... Virginia has always been an "open carry state" in that no permit required for open carry, a permit is required for concealed carry but the posession of a permit does NOT require concealment, just opens that option. As a result, I grew up seeing open carry often, most often during hunting season (same laws) .... but year 'round as well in places.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I would never object to OC here in FL. I'd much rather know who's carrying than wonder who's hiding.
    So would the criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    So would the criminals.
    It cuts both ways. You're right, but inherent in that statement, is the fact that OC may have just warned off a criminal from robbing a store, mugging a person, or whatever else. It's the equivalent of putting a sign on the front door of your house that says "Protected by Alarm."

Of course, it can cut the other way and make you the first target as well, but if you Open Carry, then you had better be both a quick shot, and a quick draw. (You in general here).

Delaware is an open carry state. I have a concealed carry permit, but sometimes carryopen due to weather of clothing issues. It seems to me that really NOONE ACTUALLY NOTICES THE WEAPON. Nevertheless, I do carry the state law on open carry incase I'm stopped by an official.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the info Camjr. I did not know Texas was about to consider this. I hope it passes. I will still carry concealed, but I will feel more comfortable. Maybe switch to OWB holsters.
    danwdooley likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Me and the wife started OC today.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I can understand it completely. We have so few ways to make any kind of statement to our government. I say OC'ing is a good one.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I pretty much blame two groups of people for the screwed up world we live in today: Lawyers and the Press. Nothing to say here about Lawyers that you haven't already heard, but I've got to give credit to the Press. Without the Press blowing everything out of proportion we wouldn't be in the situation we are in today in which OC/CC is growing so fast. Their constant screaming that "the sky is falling" is making the private citizen feel insecure enough that they want to defend themselves.

With respect to OC. Seems to me that an unarmed citizen seeing someone open carrying ought to signify that the open carrying citizen is a law abiding citizen. CC laws put law abiding citizens in the same category as criminals and gang bangers--having to hide away their hardware. Is it any wonder that some citizens panic when they realize someone in their midst is carrying a gun?
    jrclen likes this.

OC has been legal in Ky since I can remember and Im 54. Before CC was legal you could OC in the courthouse and nobody could stop you. Not that way with some buildings now with cc or oc.
    Still I see open carry once in a while in town grocery etc and it attracts about as much attention as someone carrying a sack of groceries. No big deal at all.

VIP Member
    Stopped off at Wall-Mart on the way home from a gun show and saw someone open carrying, funny thing no one was screaming, calling 911 or fainting in the aisles.
    jrclen likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I OC at times and no one has ever said anything to me about it either.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Sudden open carry popularity boom?
    It's probably because now James Yeager is telling everyone that open carry is the way to go and that concealed carry is for wusses.

I keed, I keep.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links