Was thanked for OC'ing today.

This is a discussion on Was thanked for OC'ing today. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As my kids and I were leaving WallyWorld today I paused to talk to a friend of mine sitting on a bench by the exit, ...

Like Tree45Likes
  • 25 Post By okiegunguy
  • 12 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By rugergunner
  • 1 Post By DMan
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By jrclen
  • 1 Post By akav8er
  • 2 Post By Jaybm

Thread: Was thanked for OC'ing today.

As my kids and I were leaving WallyWorld today I paused to talk to a friend of mine sitting on a bench by the exit, waiting for his wife. He was chatting with a man in his 70's or 80's who was wearing a USN WWII Vet hat. I NEVER pass by a vet without shaking his or her hand. I asked what theater he served in, turns out he was stationed on a troop carrier in the Pacific. He saw action at Iwo Jima! As I leaned over to shake his hand he motioned to my CZ82 and said "Thank you for carrying that, never can tell when a crazy will come busting in here." I thanked him for fighting for my right to own and carry and we parted ways. In the past year I have met WWII vets from every major battle of the war. I feel honored to have shaken the hands of these brave men and women. If you haven't done so you better do it before it's too late.

2. Remove Ads

Good stuff!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I gave my dad a Seabee tag for his car. Shortly afterwards, he came out of the store to find a note on the windshield, from a stranger thanking him for his service. He kept that note until he died.

A simple thank you really means a lot to WWII Vets, and all the rest, too.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Thank you for relating that story and your views on our veterans. Also, welcome to the forum!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okiegunguy View Post
    As my kids and I were leaving WallyWorld today I paused to talk to a friend of mine sitting on a bench by the exit, waiting for his wife. He was chatting with a man in his 70's or 80's who was wearing a USN WWII Vet hat. I NEVER pass by a vet without shaking his or her hand. I asked what theater he served in, turns out he was stationed on a troop carrier in the Pacific. He saw action at Iwo Jima! As I leaned over to shake his hand he motioned to my CZ82 and said "Thank you for carrying that, never can tell when a crazy will come busting in here." I thanked him for fighting for my right to own and carry and we parted ways. In the past year I have met WWII vets from every major battle of the war. I feel honored to have shaken the hands of these brave men and women. If you haven't done so you better do it before it's too late.
    Nice post! I'm the same way. My father, who is gone now, was a WWII vet and was a Pearl Harbor when it was attacked. I had an older brother who was KIA in Viet Nam in 1967. He was the reason I had joined the Marines back in the 80's. Thanks for OC too, I do the same on occasion.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I had a similar experience with a gentleman that survived the USS Indianapolis.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Okie, welcome aboard, and I commend you for your kind and respectful actions toward our veterans! Bet you felt pretty good getting the response you did.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

mkh
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I too try to acknowledge vets when I see one. We owe them so much.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. I have a friend who calls me every veteran's day to say hi and thank me for my service. It always makes my day. My Dad and both Uncles served in WW2. All three are gone now but I make sure my grandkids and others know of their service and sacrifice.
    fail_187 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

As good as that conversation made you feel, I feel safe in saying it was ten-fold for him. These guys deserve every ounce of respect we can muster. We will forever be in their debt...

Thanks for posting this ! How soon they are forgotten.
    We honor our vets in church on the Sunday nearest to Nov 11 and us ole
    grey haired guys are dwindling. Only one WW2 vet in our congregation.

J
    jrclen and Rock and Glock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Thanks for posting this ! How soon they are forgotten.
    We honor our vets in church on the Sunday nearest to Nov 11 and us ole
    grey haired guys are dwindling. Only one WW2 vet in our congregation.
    I recall hearing that 1000 WWII veterans are dying each day.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Welcome to the forum Okie... And thanks for sharing your story
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    always thank a Vet whenever I can! and I'm not sure if i've ever been thanked for OCing by a stranger. But I sure will keep on OCing either way!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Great story you have related to us. I commend you for your actions and wish others would follow suit. Of all the vets I have met WWII vets seem to be the most humble. They know what they did and how it effected the world yet they just wanted to get back and live the rest of their lives as they saw fit. They knew what needed to be done and did it. The greatest generation is an understatement in my opinion. My dad was a WWII vet so I may be a bit biased. To all who served and still serve "THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO OR HAVE DONE FOR US".

Links